i'm in a "band" that will be playing music similar to SOAD and Atreyu, along with some punk/pop punk influences. i already have a v-amp and a wah, so i was thinking i would only need a decent distortion pedal. my question is what kind of distortion should i get?

EDIT: please do not suggest anything about amps. it's not what i'm looking for. i'm looking for pedals. if i was questioning amps, i would have made an amp thread.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Last edited by TasianSensation at Jul 31, 2006,
i have a silvertone starter amp.... 10 watts or something. it works fine with the different amp settings on my v-amp and can be loud enough to be heard over drums.... so, amp is not my problem.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
i would recommend maybe savingfor a new amp, coz a pedal isnt really going to sound great through that. but if you must have a pedal, i hear the digitech metal one is pretty good. do you have a price range?
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Get a new amp.

Buying a bunch of low/medium grade effects and not upgrading your amp first is going to hurt you in the long run.

When you DO upgrade your amp, you'll be sitting there with crappy distortion pedals, thinking... "Why did I spend 300 bucks on all those pedals?"

Up the amp, then buy your pedals.

Got a budget?
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by sg-rocker173
Get a new amp.

Buying a bunch of low/medium grade effects and not upgrading your amp first is going to hurt you in the long run.

When you DO upgrade your amp, you'll be sitting there with crappy distortion pedals, thinking... "Why did I spend 300 bucks on all those pedals?"

Up the amp, then buy your pedals.

Got a budget?

well said
while i respect your concerns about m amp, its not what i'm interested in. i'm completely happy with my amp. right now i am looking for a pedal. please, no more suggestions on amps or saving for an amp, and just recommend pedals. my price limit is around $120.
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Quote by TasianSensation
while i respect your concerns about m amp, its not what i'm interested in. i'm completely happy with my amp. right now i am looking for a pedal. please, no more suggestions on amps or saving for an amp, and just recommend pedals. my price limit is around $120.

You're going to regret doing this..

Think you could save up another 80 bucks? You can probably grab a used Boss ME-50 off ebay. They have all the effects and distortion you'll ever need.

I find that MFX are better for beginners anyway. If you don't wanna pitch out money for the ME-50, throw 30-50 on a used Digitech RP50/RP80 (Whichever one has the pedal on it).

It's nice to experiment with all the stuff on there, that way you can find out exactly what you're looking for when you realize that your practice amp won't cut it. :P

Edit: Just scanned ebay for ya.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boss-ME-50-Guitar-Multiple-Effects-Pedal-Like-New_W0QQitemZ140012154959QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41419QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's one with a current bid of 81 USD.

If you do a search you'll find one sitting around with a buy it now of 200.

Here's some more with low auction prices:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSS-ME-50-Guitar-Multiple-Effects-Peddle-Mint-Con_W0QQitemZ250012530437QQihZ015QQcategoryZ22669QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Boss-ME-50-Multi-Effects-Processor_W0QQitemZ270013461349QQihZ017QQcategoryZ41419QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Boss-ME-50-Guitar-Multi-Effects_W0QQitemZ110014985240QQihZ001QQcategoryZ22669QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

Last edited by sg-rocker173 at Jul 31, 2006,
yeah thatsa good idea, sg rocker. that way tasian, you can play around with stuff and learn which affects ou want in your sound. then you can buy them later
i realize my amp will eventually have to be replaced. i'll worry about that when the time comes. for now, it can wait on my agenda.

anyway, i won't be using ebay, so i might not be able to get one used. if you could just recommend some other names, i could try to out at the music store tomorrow.
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Hmm..

Digitech Multi FX processor (An RP50, RP80, or RP100)

Try to get the cheapest, when I started I spent 100? on the RP100A, wasn't worth it. The 50 is fine too. Although, the 100 is slightly more customizable. You might wanna go with the 100, it's up to you. Check them both out.

There's a handful of different distortion types, modulations, pickup simulators, whatever. But when you develop an ear for good tone, you'll want to replace it. It's a nice bedroom practice tool, though.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Quote by sg-rocker173
Hmm..

Digitech Multi FX processor (An RP50, RP80, or RP100)

Try to get the cheapest, when I started I spent 100? on the RP100A, wasn't worth it. The 50 is fine too. Although, the 100 is slightly more customizable. You might wanna go with the 100, it's up to you. Check them both out.

There's a handful of different distortion types, modulations, pickup simulators, whatever. But when you develop an ear for good tone, you'll want to replace it. It's a nice bedroom practice tool, though.

my v-amp has modulations. so that would be of no use to me.... however, i will check out the ones you mentioned for ebay when i go to the store. they tend to have pedals named death metal distortion, heavy metal distortion, and grunge distortion.... stuff like that. out of those, what would be my best bet?

sorry if i seemed like a dick earlier..... it's late and i'm tired. i realize that you guys were only trying to help, but all i wanted was an answer to my question. anyway, sorry if ii seemed like a dick and lashed out.
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
no problem, i didnt think you were lashing out though