okay, is the engl amplifier brand overated do u think, in every amp thread i go into to just about everyone is saying get an engl, are they really that good an amp or is it just some phase started by some guy
ENGL is the GGnA forum boner.

Little kids learn about them, then recommend them because they want to look cool.
I actually used to have an ENGL, it was the best amp ive ever played, so no i wouldnt say they are overrated, they probably arent for everyone though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
They're not overrated by people that have played them or heard them in use. However a lot of people on this forum are recommending them on the basis that someone else has said they're good in order to look like they are knowledgable, which is beyond stupid.
Ya i agree some people just plug them because others do. Its hard to find them in america buit i have played a few of them when i went to Try them at Rock SOlid AMps. And no they are not overrated they are indeed amazing. but if you like dark heavy metal tones they arent for you as engls are bright
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
pretty much what cody, fluffy and syn said.

Like most amps, they aren't for everyone, as tone is subjective.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
can someone post clips (or a link to clips) of back-to-back comparisons between bright and dark amps? i still don't get how it's not a matter of tone-knob adjustment
I've played an ENGL Powerball and I must say it was the best amp I've ever played, subjectively. But I think they are overrated on this forum. Ultimate Guitar always has these phases, one time if you came here and wanted a good beginner's amp everyone would recommend crate, one time the cube amps were really respected for solid state. There was a big surge of XXX popularity here before, and the new trend is ENGL.
Great amps, but not the only amps to consider...
how bout being a noob is overrated.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
ENGL's are indeed great amps. They are versatile, and have a wide array of nice tones. However, they are overrated. Even though they sound great and have such sonic variety, there are other boutique amps that have just as much to offer. Personally, I like ENGL amps, but I probably would never get one. I love dark tones, which is one thing that ENGL amps don't do very well. Although, they are one of the better amp comanies around....
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
not nearly as overrated as trivium.

ooooo burn.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by Syn Harvest
http://rocksolidamps.com/sounds.php

Listen to the First Powerball CLip that is a bright tone

Listen to the second cobra clip as you scroll down that is a dark tone

Though tone is subjective remember that

Wow, I hated the ENGL, but those Splawns were really nice and tight sounding.
Quote by sethp
can someone post clips (or a link to clips) of back-to-back comparisons between bright and dark amps? i still don't get how it's not a matter of tone-knob adjustment

well, i run my engl with the treble about 3, and it's still bright. I think it's the frequency of the mids or something.

The best way to understand it is, say you have a darkish amp (diezel vh4, for example) and then a brighter amp, say an engl screamer.

if you want to brighten the vh4 you could try to turn up the presence and treble. however, it won't sound like an engl- it'll sound like a vh4 with the treble and presence up.

Likewise with the engl. if you try to darken it, it'll sound like an engl with the presence and treble low, not like a vh4.

Basically, most good amps have a "signature" kind of tone, which you can obviously tinker with using the EQ knobs, but (usually) it'll still sound like that amp...

that's the way I see it anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ya thats how i see it to thats why no matter wha a Rectifier sounds like a rectifier i seem to be able to pick that amp out in a mix
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
^ yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, ENGLs are awesome amps, for certain applications, but they're not perfect for everyone (like everyone else has said). For example, I'd NEVER recommend an ENGL for someone who wanted to play southern rock a la Skynyrd. however, there are some kids who would say the Thunder would be great there, just because it's a bit lower-gain than the rest of the line-up, and because they want brownie points for mantioning ENGL.
^ well, there's the classic tube...

but yeah, I agree. I do mention engl a lot, I admit it, but (a) I've tried most of them and (b) I only recommend it for people who I think they'd suit. You don't see me recommending a powerball for someone who wants to play blues, for example.

Also, I think a lot of the fault is the fault of this forum. It's not my fault that most people making "which amp?" threads want a semi-reasonably priced versatile tube combo capable of metal and other tones. To me that says engl screamer (and more recently, since I only just tried it, a genz benz el-diablo).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?