I realise u must have a preamp to use the onboard or usb of a notebook, so is there anything that is portable that doesnt require mains power? guitarport etc need mains dont they?

i basically just want me, my notebook, my guitar and my headphones.
how does it amplify then? why cant i just plug my guitar str8 into a usb port with a usb adapter?
i actually often plug my guitar into the mic input on my notebook. the mic input has a crappy mic-preamp that works. its better to use a line-in, but since my notebook doesnt have one, imstuck with mic-in. you really shouldnt need much more than that for it to work. well, i think youll probably need an ASIO driver, but im not sure what program youll be using so i cant say for sure.
The M-Audio JamLab workes, comes with Guitar FX (Though I would recomound Buying, or if your desprate pirating or gettign from a friend, Guitar Rig 2) and sounds pretty good. And The Jamlab is only 83 bucks.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by fiztech
how does it amplify then? why cant i just plug my guitar str8 into a usb port with a usb adapter?

It's powered off the USB port, the USB port puts out a good 5v's of power.

Now the only issue you have is some laptops, whilst in their conservative energy saving i can squeeze an extra 6 hours out of my battery mode tend to withdraw power from usb devices. Other simpler devices that are more portable include the iMic but it is pretty amateur grade stuff. Guitar Port, M-Audio, or any asio usb device should work.
Marty
think i will just order guitarport, will take a while to get to me here in oz though, and is about $239 at its cheapest.

can i just plug a 1/8th adapter attached to my 1/4th straight into my onboard sound, will that work for now?