Well verything should be going to the sound board and then put to the venues PA system. So you should just be able to lay down your recording device just after the sound board - so who ever is on the sound board will have all the levels sorted and then out put your recording device to the PA.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
Yeah just hook up your recording device or a DAT deck to the soundboard.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I have another idea that works REALLY awesome (sounds real stupid but trust me it works) These new video cameras with mini dvds they have can pick up sound real good and so i recorded the whole gig i had with that and then use audacity to rip the songs into MP3 format.
posted by RM_MIDNIGHT
I don't know what the **** you people are talking about, I claimed Antarctica for my self decades ago, if anybody steps on it with out my permission I'll get them!
Mini Disc is fine but if your using the Net MD format you cant rip it to a computer.

Last.fm
Quote by xchris78
I have another idea that works REALLY awesome (sounds real stupid but trust me it works) These new video cameras with mini dvds they have can pick up sound real good and so i recorded the whole gig i had with that and then use audacity to rip the songs into MP3 format.

Sorry about the double post,

Thats all well and good, but its not going to sound nearly as nice as a soundboard recording.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Sorry about the double post,

Thats all well and good, but its not going to sound nearly as nice as a soundboard recording.

True and yeah only the mini disc ones work.
posted by RM_MIDNIGHT
I don't know what the **** you people are talking about, I claimed Antarctica for my self decades ago, if anybody steps on it with out my permission I'll get them!
yeah but not every gig hes gonna play is gonna have everything miced... like they might just be micing the kick...

than he wouldnt get any snare toms or cymbals on the recording...

and not many shows that ive ever been to have miced the bass cab
maybe if he was in a really big band>>>
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Boss TU-3
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss OD-2
Boss TR-2
Boss RV-3 (best pedal ever!)
Boss BF-3
Line 6 DL4
Peavy Delta Blues 2x10
Fender Twin Reverb
Fender Blues Junior
Quote by xchris78

That works if you want video.

and if you want crappy sounding quality.

Soundboard is the only way to go (and the best) unless you know someone with a live recording rig, which still isn't gonna be as quality as the soundboard patch.
cheers guys for all your help, iam probably use the mini disc on soundboard option, i will be sure to let you guys know how it turns out

thanks once again