Page 1 of 2
Hi all,

check out this amp:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=457

120W for £194, lets be honest with ourselves here, thats amazing. Not only that but look at the amount of effects it has, to me this looks like a good amp.

However, when ever Line6 amps are mentioned here, they are flamed to hell, why is this? Im considering buying this, but im also looking at a Marshall aswell.
Because it sounds so digital/synthetic. No texture to the sounds.
Well first off they dont sound horribly great, but the big reason is that in the exact same price range, although that one isnt very expensive, are much better amps like the vox ones and the roland ones. So why waste your money on an inferior amp?
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
thats not amazing...for that you can get a decent tube amp. remember 30 watts of all tube is louder then that 120watt amp could ever dream of.

and built in effects suck...the main gripe with line6 is they sound very very very digital and unreal. which = crap.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
^ not true...

get a spider II and throw the flange and chrous, little reverb, deepen the bass and cut the mids you got one of the best sounds an amp can make

get the amp man, you will NOT be dissapointed at that price
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
^ not true...

get a spider II and throw the flange and chrous, little reverb, deepen the bass and cut the mids you got one of the best sounds an amp can make

uh what if you dont like a bassy scooped mid sound?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Don't get the amp. YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED. I played on in the local shot with a 1000 dollar strat and it still sucked.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
I have a line 6 flex tone half stack and it really is quite a good amp. and unlike valves you dont have to worry about things blowing up 1/2 way through gigs.

people are snobs my friend and will always look at as, jimmy page, the edge, billy joe, james hetfield etc use expensive valve amps, so everything else is sh*t..

Valve amps do soun fantastic, dont get me wrong, but you can get very good ones out of solid state ones and if you can, then dont give to fu-cks bout what other people say.

I would however aim for the vox at that price range, as it has more models. :
i use a Line6 Spider II 30 and i dont know why people hate it so much. You can get one of the best distorted sounds out there and it beats some pedals for sound. And the effects are good on it. True sometimes the sound gets kinda fake and electronic but thats if you dont know how to use the effects on it.
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by JerrySeinfeld
Hi all,

check out this amp:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=457

120W for £194, lets be honest with ourselves here, thats amazing. Not only that but look at the amount of effects it has, to me this looks like a good amp.

However, when ever Line6 amps are mentioned here, they are flamed to hell, why is this? Im considering buying this, but im also looking at a Marshall aswell.

I have that exact amp and I don't know why everyones flaming it. I think it sounds great and the effects sound really cool. And for the price its a real bargain, cheaper than a lot of other amps out there with plenty of power (120 watts).
My 350 Watt solid state was 250. And it soudns better then any solid state line6 I've every played. Its just not good IMO.

Every one of my friends with line 6 has had a world of problems with them, they break easier than anything, the effects just get in the way, and the tone is crap imo
Quote by otherkid
i use a Line6 Spider II 30 and i dont know why people hate it so much. You can get one of the best distorted sounds out there and it beats some pedals for sound. And the effects are good on it. True sometimes the sound gets kinda fake and electronic but thats if you dont know how to use the effects on it.

Like I said if you can find it extremely cheap no it is not a bad deal, but otherwise they are inferior to other amps in the price range
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
i only played a line6 flextone, and tbh i prefer them to the vox adVt's
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
I'm all about my metal tone, so my gripes come from there. I actually find the clean channels to have a bit of warmth and work great for me, but someone with a deluxe reverb or something would probably vomit all over this thing..

Anyway, I tried tweaking this amp for about a year to find absolutely nothing, I spent 6 months tweaking my Mesa and for once I actually don't want more guitar gear... On insane green (cuz red is so WTF..) and metal red and green LED. No matter what, my chords had absolutely no definition whatsoever, everything sounded so muddy, and there was no way around it either, no matter how far I turned **** down. The reverb is the single worst reverb I've ever heard in my entire life. The chorus/flanger/phaser isn't that bad, but the delays are horrible. And my number one complaint: I would not TOUCH the thing, turn it off, leave band practice for break, come back, turn it back on, it sounds COMPLETELY different. I'm serious. My bandmates, who don't know jack about guitar tone or anything, even started taking notice.

Just stay away from Line 6!
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by otherkid
i use a Line6 Spider II 30 and i dont know why people hate it so much. You can get one of the best distorted sounds...

...and it beats some pedals for sound.

How a pedal sounds is an interaction between guitar, pedal, and amp. That's not really a good comparison.
And the effects are good on it. True sometimes the sound gets kinda fake and electronic but thats if you dont know how to use the effects on it.

It's a 120 watt amp selling for $200. If I saw a 1000w car stereo amp selling for $250, I'd be a little suspicious. If Line 6 thought they were making a good product, they'd charge more for it. And on-board effects are a marketing gimmick. Completely useless in any real-world application.
Hi, I'm Peter
Line 6 does have some really good amps. I like the clean channel and the insane channel isn't too bad. You guys compare it to things like Mesa/Boogies and expensive Marshalls which is ****ing stupid. It is a decent solid state for pretty cheap. The VOX ADVT and the Carvin SX are better solid states though.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by SGStrummer61
Line 6 does have some really good amps. I like the clean channel and the insane channel isn't too bad. You guys compare it to things like Mesa/Boogies and expensive Marshalls which is ****ing stupid. It is a decent solid state for pretty cheap. The VOX ADVT and the Carvin SX are better solid states though.

Im not. Im comparing it to a 350 watt Peavey Special 130. It sucked balls compaired to it. And mine wasn't any more expensive used.

Line 6 amps aren't all that bad. Their speakers aren't half bad. What I'd do is use the clean channel and run my Boss ME-50 through that. The distortions are actually pretty good. As for the effects, yes, they sound fake, however, for the price, the clean channel is a bargain.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
^ not true...

This comes from a guy that plays a B.C. Rich.
My Gear-
Schecter 006 BlackJack
Ovation Tangent T357
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60
Boss NS-2, CE-5, DS-1
DiMarzio Pedal Couplers
Quote by JerrySeinfeld
Why are Line6 amps so bad?

Because you touch yourself at night

Just kiddin....its because the president of Line6 touches himself at night

Ehh im done
If you want a real opinion from me just ask and I'll post it
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by JonisAlexander
This comes from a guy that plays a B.C. Rich.

Don't judge unless you've heard him play

Quote by red star
Because you touch yourself at night

Just kiddin....its because the president of Line6 touches himself at night

Ehh im done
If you want a real opinion from me just ask and I'll post it

We want a real opinion from you
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Jul 31, 2006,
Quote by Bazilisck311
We want a real opiniong from you

someone who cares!

Well i think Line6 amps are bad because they sound really bassy and sometimes nasally. The effects really aren't that good and they come in combinations which annoy me. Plus i know for a fact that they really aren't realiable. They're good i guess if your in a Nu-Metal Band or an Industiral Metal band. They're also pretty good if you just want sheer volume and nothing else because they're models pretty cheap which is nice for those that are on a budget.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by bonchie1
thats not amazing...for that you can get a decent tube amp. remember 30 watts of all tube is louder then that 120watt amp could ever dream of.

Is that true? That cant be right

Also why are "built in" effects bad? Alot of Marshalls and Fenders have these, the other Marshall im looking at has Flange and Reverb along with other things.
Quote by JerrySeinfeld

Also why are "built in" effects bad? Alot of Marshalls and Fenders have these, the other Marshall im looking at has Flange and Reverb along with other things.

Actually a 40 watt, but estentially true. Tubes are louder and soumnd so much better. Adn its not built in effefcts, its cheaply made digital sounding fake effects.

Quote by JerrySeinfeld

It's not really true. The formula, depending on the type of tube, is that a tube amp will be as loud as a solid state amp rated about 2.5 times its wattage. So a 20 watt tube amp should be as loud as a 50 watt solid state amp. But also, you can crank a tube amp to its full potential, whereas a solid state amp cranked will just sound really terrible. So you really need something along the lines of 75-100 watts solid state to get a good sound at the same volume you get from the 20 watt tube amp. And it's not that a tube amp is really more powerful, but a tube amp produces harmonics that are perceived as louder by the human ear. Solid states do not produce these harmonics.

And built-in effects are bad. On most amps you can't combine them, the flexibility isn't there, and the sound is really artificial. Roland probably has the best on-board effects, but they're still no competition for good pedals or multi-fx units.
Hi, I'm Peter
Line 6 is terrible. They are right up there with Beringer. The effects suck and as someone said before "can never be used for realistic aoolications". They sound sterile and very plain. They are so bad for distortion and cleans. Its almost soley for metal. They have NO tone. You can spend years tweaking it and never get mediocre tone.

With that said they are alright begginer amps. They have some wattage and are cheap and have some effects that are pretty good for begginer guitarists for bedroom practice. However, they are just begginer amps. Few bands play Line 6 amps, they don't even make tube amps....

Once you get to be better you will realize the lack of tone. Everyone that says the Line 6 Spider is good doesn't know tone.
Quote by JerrySeinfeld

It's true - A tube amp when overloaded, the electrical output is still the same however the edge frequency increases within the same range hence the increase in electrical output isn't compressed to the human ear, so it sounds louder.

I think I'm close to truth...
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Jul 31, 2006,
I guess all the bad things I must see are bandwagoning. I bet half of you never even tried the amp. I used to own one for practice. I got a GREAT metal tone out of it. I can easliy replicate Master or Puppets tone or Cowboys from Hell and alot of great tones. The only good channels are Clean and Insane the other 2 are worthless. I can get a great Hendrix tone out of the Clean (Little wing like tone). I think its a good amp for the price and I dont think it deserves this bashing. I dont think its digital at all.

Quote by JET116
Once you get to be better you will realize the lack of tone. Everyone that says the Line 6 Spider is good doesn't know tone.

Everybody has a different ear for tone. Some people might think the Line 6 is a good... so what? Do they suck at guitar and finding tones if they like the line 6? **** off.
Last edited by LouderNow at Jul 31, 2006,
I tried the Spider II and the Flextone III last year because I was shopping for a modeling amp. The testing was done using my PRS Soapbar II SE, which is my favorite cleans guitar and does great garage rock distortion. I ended up purchasing a Vox AD30VT. I didn't like either Line 6 amp. I've also owned a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV 1x12 widebody combo for the last 7 years. I've spent over $8,000 in 10 years on various gear. I don't bandwagon.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 31, 2006,
Quote by LouderNow

Everybody has a different ear for tone. Some people might think the Line 6 is a good... so what? Do they suck at guitar and finding tones if they like the line 6? **** off.

How long have you been playing? I cannot attest to the tone of the flextone, but i CAN attest to the tone (or lack thereof) of the Spider. It has terrible tone, and the effects are terrible
Yet again, it is all personal choice. Some poeple might like Dimebag's tone some might hate it. My playing is irrelevant. Wether I have been playing 2 years or 22 years, if I like a tone, I like a tone. Just let it go before this argument gets too deep.
Ok ok how about this...

Threadstarter go to your local guitar store and play a Line 6 Spyder. if you like it then by all means get it, if not then keep shopping. You've gotten a lot of input from us. If its just for bedroom practice then you prob dont need 120 watts anyway...if you're gigging then i suggest somthine else but go with what you like. its your money
yeah and if you have the money im sure you can find a better gigging amp but for the money the spider is a good choice. Im not saying its the best but its good for its price range.
The Marshall AVT has some tubes in it, but they don't change the sound really.

To me, it sounds alot like the MG series, which have no texture to the tone.

Have you tried out any tube amps? I find that most people who advocate solid-states haven't thoroughly tried out a good tube amp.

Once you go tube, it's hard to go back.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
its partually a tube and partually solid state i thimnk.

Quote by zekk
its partually a tube and partually solid state i thimnk.

the tubes are just in the preamp...they don't change the sound really. and it doesn't sound liek a tube amp.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
ok you could

A. Get a used tube combo
B. Get a ss or hybrid (i suggest the valvetronix)
C. Save up a little and get a new BJ, Valveking or crate palomino (the valveking isnt a great tube amp but its better than alomst everything else mentioned and its 50 watts tube)
Quote by bonchie1
the tubes are just in the preamp...they don't change the sound really. and it doesn't sound liek a tube amp.

you'll get a more tube-based overdrive tone though.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Page 1 of 2