which amp is better overall?? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT1200HG412SL-Half-Stack?sku=487796 or http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RX120DHS-120W-Half-Stack-Guitar-Amp-with-4x12-Cabinet?sku=481269 same price, both 120 watts..but from what i hear the randall clean channel sucks. what do you think?
My Gear
Washburn- EA-9 Acoustic Guitar
Epiphone- SG G-400
Vox- AD15VT
Squier- Precision Bass
Hartke- B200
Zoom- 708II Bass Effects
That totally depends on your style of music. If you play more metal, hardcore, and other such "high-gain" music then the Randall is probably the best way to go. The best example of a Randall player that I can think of is Dimebag Darrel (R.I.P.) from Pantera. If you're playing less heavy stuff, maybe the Crate but then again the Crate's can get pretty dirty too.

Which leads to the always helpful answer...try them both out and decide which you like better!
depends on the models your looking at, id get randall. i find crates too annoying with the way you have all distortion or all clean with basically no way of getting anything in-between.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Quote by ArcherTheVMan
depends on the models your looking at, id get randall. i find crates too annoying with the way you have all distortion or all clean with basically no way of getting anything in-between.

click the links..lol
My Gear
Epiphone- SG G-400
Vox- AD15VT
Squier- Precision Bass
Hartke- B200
Zoom- 708II Bass Effects
Do you really need a Half Stack? A good Tube combo would probably sound better than either of them

/Inevitable question
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
the main reason im wanting a half stack is my vox has this horrible squealing sound when i crank it up..and i cant be heard over my drummer with it. so why not step it up to a half stack? im going to need/use all 120 watts eventually after we start gigging, so why waste the money on a 50 watt combo?
My Gear
Epiphone- SG G-400
Vox- AD15VT
Squier- Precision Bass
Hartke- B200
Zoom- 708II Bass Effects
A 50 watt tube combo will probably bee just as loud as a 120 watt solid state.... my 50 watt head is louder than my 100 watt solid state....
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Out of those 2, definately the Randall. Crates are cheap, digital crap. Although, I agree that you'd be better off to go for a small tube combo in that price range.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by t1mozeley
click the links..lol

i know, i meant in general.

in reference to those two though, the guys are right a valve amp would be much better and probably just as loud despite less wattage.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Last edited by ArcherTheVMan at Jul 31, 2006,
isnt rule of thumb like... twice the power of the tube wattage is how much solid state? like... if i had a 50w tube... itd be cmparable to a 100w solid state?
Actually, it's more like 2.5x. 50 watts tube is comparable to 125 watts solid-state.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
I have a Randall RH100G2 and the clean channel is not bad. The problem is that the clean channel is much louder than the dirty channel. That has been reported by several people, so, it's not just my amp. It's a good amp that just doesn't have the sound that I want. I will sell it, if anyone's interested.
okay so whats a good 50 watt tube amp?? and will this give me a good metal sound or not? because from what i understand, its alot more bluesy..lol
My Gear
Epiphone- SG G-400
Vox- AD15VT
Squier- Precision Bass
Hartke- B200
Zoom- 708II Bass Effects
I'll say your budget is around 500-600 because that's around what your amps you were considering was. You could find a used Traynor blue for around that price, and with an overdrive you can get that metal sound, you might be able to pull off a used XXX for that price too.

Look into used JCM 800's too, with a OD boost, they can get into metal territory.
Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
CA Blade Electric
PRS Santana SE
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Carlo Robelli Jumbo A/E

Fulltone Fulldrive2
EHX Small Clone
Buddha Wah
Ibanez AD9 Delay
Ibanez Vintage EQ

Crate V18-112
Peavey Vypyr 75
Roland MicroCube
Quote by fireman464
The problem is that the clean channel is much louder than the dirty channel. That has been reported by several people, so, it's not just my amp.

Thank doG. Thought that was just me.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by fireman464
I have a Randall RH100G2 and the clean channel is not bad. The problem is that the clean channel is much louder than the dirty channel. That has been reported by several people, so, it's not just my amp. It's a good amp that just doesn't have the sound that I want. I will sell it, if anyone's interested.

Just turn the level down on the clean channel and *bam* problem fixed.
Go tube combo dude. Or save up for a tube half stack.

A used 5150 combo can be had for 500-600 on ebay.

That will be louder and sound 10000 times better.
I own the Crate and I tryed out the Randall, didn't like it. If you have to, go for the Crate. The only reason I own it is because I got for $250 used and I had our first show coming up. It's not a bad amp at all, it takes effects better than most SS. Whoever said Crate is digital sounding, have you played the Line 6 Spider series?

If you're an honest struggling musician in a band who needs a half decent amp, hit up the Crate. Sell it later if your shows call for more, even though it does pump out plenty of power.

If you're an at home musician who's the not that experienced, wanted a half stack because it looks cool, and doesn't want the messiness of tubes, slap yourself and get a Roland Cubeaaa.

If you're a gigging musician who would be able to upkeep a tube amp then get one. Preferably a 5150 or Dual Rectifier. You'll never realistically need anything more powerful than that.

If you're an at home musician who doesn't mind paying for tubes and can take care of a good amp, get a tube combo.
yea im 14, starting a band, and my vox just wont get over my drummer. so im wanting something loud enough to hear over a hard hitting drummer..and still loud enough for small gigs. i think im just gonna try out the crate, then a few tube combos and see what i think. i dont exactly have an income...maybe like 100 bucks a month, at most. so saving up will take forever. =/
My Gear
Epiphone- SG G-400
Vox- AD15VT
Squier- Precision Bass
Hartke- B200
Zoom- 708II Bass Effects