I got an ENGL Screamer 50 combo and when I'm playing it for about 10-15 mins it starts cutting down to lower volumes and back up. I dont think its my guitar because I tried it through another amp and there was no problem.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?
that's usually a symptom of a bad tube(s). When was the last time they were replaced?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
was it a brand new amp, or did you buy it used? It could just be old or worn out power tubes if you bought it used. Does it happen on all channels/modes?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
well, I'm no expert, but I've seen that happen with worn out tubes, especially since it's on every channel. A bad preamp driver tube might also do that, but I think that's a lot more uncommon.
amp clips
amp vids
Thanks for all the help.

Edit: Any way to find out where the problem is or will I just have to bring it in?
Last edited by Kram at Jul 31, 2006,
Do you know if the ENGL's use a fixed non-adjustable bias? Since they sell their own power tubes, I'm wondering if they operate like Mesa Boogie, where the amps have a fixed bias, and Mesa test all their tubes to be in the right bias range of their amps. If ENGL does that too, you could easily change the power tubes yourself without having to rebias the amp. Preamp tubes don't need to be biased, so you can easily change those yourself

If it has an adjustable bias, I would get the amp biased by a tech, and have new tubes installed. You can use any preamp tubes you want though, and you can easily change those yourself. Different preamp/power tubes can really change the voicing of an amp, like more/less gain, ratty/smoother gain, etc...

You might want shoot ENGL an email and see what they say. I know Framus has been very helpful to me with questions I send them, so I assume ENGL would also be.
amp clips
amp vids