some questions:

1. are les pauls guitars good for all sorts of music, from pretty balads to heavy metal?

2. if it is, what is the difference from the 'Epiphone Les paul std HS' (460 euro) and the one with humbuckers?

3. is it a good guitar to buy, and why?
Quote by Merten
some questions:

1. are les pauls guitars good for all sorts of music, from pretty balads to heavy metal?

2. if it is, what is the difference from the 'Epiphone Les paul std HS' (460 euro) and the one with humbuckers?

3. is it a good guitar to buy, and why?

Howdy. I dont know about Epiphones but the Gibson Les Pauls are blessed with mahogany bodies and nice humbuckers, such that you get a deeper tone than with other combos. I am not a metal nut but other folks around here say that the thicker necks on LPs for stuff like "shredding" are not practical. But yes it is a pretty decent guitar for whatever you have in mind. Expect to get lots of crap from the Gibson-haters who claim that Gibson is not as good as it once was, but it still is Gibson. You have to figure there is a reason so many companies have tried to copy the Les Paul pattern.
1. yeh there alright, though ive yet to see one do classical

2. huh, can you re-phrase that one mate

3. hmmm not really since most epi lp have an alder in between the body and yeh its not that great for a thick les paul sound. and personally there electronics are crap
thx both of you.
and yes i ****ed up question 2, i meant what is the difference between humbuckers and other pickups.

and azn_guitarist25 can you explain a little more clear at why i should not buy it?
well most people buy the les paul cos of their thick sound (think like slash and other les paul players) well most of that has to do with the body wood type (mahogany) which resonates very nicely now when you place and alder on top and then you put a maple top on top of the alder essentially you dont have a mahogany body do you.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
well most people buy the les paul cos of their thick sound (think like slash and other les paul players) well most of that has to do with the body wood type (mahogany) which resonates very nicely now when you place and alder on top and then you put a maple top on top of the alder essentially you dont have a mahogany body do you.

Maple is a really dense wood?
Quote by Chorduroy
Maple is a really dense wood?

well think of it like this mahogany = warmer tone (thats the one i was thinking of), maple = brighter tone
Quote by azn_guitarist25
well think of it like this mahogany = warmer tone (thats the one i was thinking of), maple = brighter tone

Yeah that is what I thought, but I figured the deep LP tone is because mahogany is a heavier wood and therefore adding a maple top to an alder body might add up to the same mass as the mahogany. But maybe it doesnt work that way. Where is Paul Bunyan when we need a forestry question answered?

Quote by Chorduroy
Yeah that is what I thought, but I figured the deep LP tone is because mahogany is a heavier wood and therefore adding a maple top to an alder body might add up to the same mass as the mahogany. But maybe it doesnt work that way. Where is Paul Bunyan when we need a forestry question answered?

if it adds up to the same mass doesnt mean you will still get the same tone from it since you mixing mahogany, maple, alder all together rather than mahogany, maple.
and why should it be better than the Stagg L 320 CS, wich is much cheaper?