Hi, I'm going to buy effects pedals for my guitar. Should I get them individually or like 4 in one like a Korg AX10G Guitar Modeling Pedal? Also is a guitar modeling pedal the same as an effects pedal? O yea and if anyone has a chance, could someone look up the korg AD10G and try to explain it a lilttle? You can find it at www.music123.com.

THANKS
Shes a rebel, she's a saint
Last edited by Guitartim at Jul 31, 2006,
Get them individualy. In the long run you'll be happier. I recomend first getting a distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal. I don't know how much you know about pedals but, some good ones are a DS-1 ($40, Distortion Pedal), TS-9 ($100, Overdrive Pedal) and the Big Muff Pi ($80, Fuzz Pedal). The DS-1 has a very nice sound and has a nice bass punch to it. It can get very heavy and saturated or a nice light amout of distortion. If you have a ****ty amp however it won't sound good, I had a Fender DSP amp and it sounded like **** until I upgraded to a Hotrod Deluxe, and now it sounds amazing. The TS-9 is a very popular pedal and has a nice clear overdrive sound to it, however I have no experience with it so thats all I can say. The Big Muff has a very thick sound to it and makes notes sound really fat even when played high up the neck. It also adds a lot of sustain with the fuzz/sustain knob turned up.
Next I recomend getting a wah. Two good wahs are the 535q Cry Baby ($110) and the Vox Clyde Mccoy ($150). The 535q is very versitile and can sound like a very abrupt fast sweeping wah to a very subtle classic Cry Baby wah. It also has a db boost. The Clyde Mccoy is just ****ing sweet. I own it, it sounds amazing, end of story. There are other types to check out though like the Dimebag wah I heard is pretty good if you're playing very high gain stuff.
Then I would get some sort of solo boost. If you're amp has some sort of overdrive you can turn it down and make it so that its almost just a clean boost and then get a pedal to switch between clean and slightly dirty. Then you step on your distortion or fuzz or what ever and theres your lead tone. If you really like the OD on your amp you could reverse the roles and have the pedal be the boost (I recomend getting another OD pedal for this as they tend to be cleaner). Other options are a EQ pedal or a plain and simple Volume Pedal.
That is a very basic set-up that should get you started but then theres modulation and delay. There are so many good modulation pedals that I'm not even gonna go into it. All I'll say is EH makes great ones and analog sounds so amazingly warm. The Small Stone and Small Clones are good buys.
For delay I have two pedals that basicly are for two completely different things. The first is one that I don't own but have played with, the DD-20 ($180). Its $20 most then the DD-6 and has maybe $100 worth of more features. Its got everything, a short loop, reverse delay, tape delay...and 23 seconds, no not millaseconds but 23 seconds of delay. Most of it you'll never use but if you think you will, buy it. The seconds is my favorite of the two because its the smoothest, warmest sounding delay I have ever encountered (after my first encounter with this delay, there were many more because I instantly bought it) this is the Deluxe Memory Man ($225). It only has 550 millaseconds but thats enough if you want just short delays. It also allows you to dial in a little chorus to make it sound even smoother. Yeah those are just my opinions though so I'm sure theres someone on here who thinks I'm crazy or something, but I hoped this helped.
THANK YOU BREWFAN!!! you helped alot and you were the only one that replied so thanks!!!!
Shes a rebel, she's a saint
before a bunch of multi fx owning ugers come an attack the last post i'd like to point out that they don't know the difference between analogue effects and digital effects - and although they might sound the same, they don't usually feel the same.

Analogue effects (ie single effects pedals) the guitar signal passes through a bunch of electronic components like resistors, capacitors, maybe an IC but not necessarily, until it reaches the other end and exist the pedal.

Digital efefcts - the signal passes through to a preamp, which converts the analogue signal to digital, processes it with it's software (which emulates what an analogue effects pedal would do) and then converts the signal back to analogue (if your plugging back into a tube amp). IMO a lot of the interraction between the guitar player and their effects are lost because what you're putting in isn't wants coming out, essentially your putign a signal in and the digital modellers is taking it, screwing around with it, and spitting out it's version of it.

I'm a tech geek btw and work in IT so i'm all for technology, but i just wanted to clarify the difference.

That said, if you're a beginner buy a multi fx, it'll give you freedom. If you're a pro, get some good single effects and layer them in your own way. digital fx vs analogue fx is like modellers vs tube, modellers = great for beginners and can be utilized by the industry, tubes = the real deal, the industry standard.
Marty
yeah stick with with single analog effects pedals, dgital effects will completely change your tone (which is why a lot of begginers with cheap amps and guitars like them) youll lose any unique tone you get from your guitar, and it will screw up the tone of your amp too.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Guitartim
THANK YOU BREWFAN!!! you helped alot and you were the only one that replied so thanks!!!!

Remember though to look at more options then the pedals I listed, those are just some of my favorites.