My candidate for "it" indie band next year. The debut cd is Gulag Orkestar. Ithink the one-man band was an british college dropout who travelled europe digging other countries sound. The result is an album full of accordians, trumpets, trombones, keyboards, guitars, uekelales.

http://myspace.com/beruit

the three available songs are arguably the best on the whole album. My favorite is "Scenic World", but dont forget to check out the other two also.
Yeah, he did the travelling alone when he was 16 or something I believe. Nutter.

It is a good album though. Only managed to listen to it a few times before it got drowned out by a selection of oddballs that I got earlier this year though.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
the debut CD, Gulag Orkestar, didnt have guitar in it at all.
such an amazing band, my favorite at the time.
postcards from italy is amazing.
I'll provide the birdbath.
yeah that is a great album, haven't picked up any of the various EPs yet though.

I heard he tried to take it on the road and failed miserably at first. I dunno about the show now.

dunno about the "it" band, but I've heard a lot of people talking about them in teh last couple days for some reason.
Jesse Wants To Die Just As Much As You Want Him Dead
Great man/band. It has inspired me to buy a ukelele.

I love the album cover of 'The Gulag Orkestar'.
october 9
the flying club cup
Quote by tracklisting
00 "A Call to Arms"
01 "Nantes"
02 "A Sunday Smile"
03 "Guyamas Sonora"
04 "La Banlieu"
05 "Cliquot"
06 "The Penalty"
07 "Forks and Knives (La Fête)"
08 "In the Mausoleum"
09 "Un Dernier Verre (Pour la Route)"
10 "Cherbourg"
11 "St. Apollonia"
12 "The Flying Club Cup"

Note: track 00 appears on the official track listing.
perhaps? of course
i really can't wait for the new album
supposedly it sounds more french
I've heard the whole new album, it is amazing.
Jesse Wants To Die Just As Much As You Want Him Dead
Quote by Knife2aGunFight

better than the first one?
Quote by Knife2aGunFight

i have it pumpin in my stereo right now, great stuff
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
i like gulag orkestar a lot

postcards from italy is an incredible song
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
I love the Lon Gisland EP, it's great.

Also, check out The Real People's(Zach's previous band) The Joy's of Losing Weight, a MUST for any Beirut fans. It is very different from the Balkan sound of Beirut, but it has Zach's distinctive voice and some trumpet's here and there. I think it's near impossible to find a physical copy of it, but you can find it on the internetz.
Havn't heard much yet, but im really diggin' elephant gun at the moment!
Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside..
I love beirut. Unfortunately I only own Gulag Orkestar, but I've also heard Lon Gisland a good amount. I'm planning on getting his newest CD later today actually, I'm very excited. A good friend of mine knows him as her good friends older brother.
I'm just discovered Beirut recently. They are truly refreshing. .
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
I love the Final Fantasy cover of 'Cliquot' among every song by Beirut.What a refreshingly brilliant band.
god... i see some really old posts in here... i didn't know there was a beirut thread in here.
^^ The Flying Club Cup. Standout tracks are A Sunday Smile, The Penalty and Guyamas Sonora
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.