i need/ want a halfstack and i was lookin into this, i've seen a lot of good reveiws and i've seen alot of bad, i've played on it too and i thought the clean was amazing and the dist. was pretty good too. my budget is around 700 bucks and i have an epi lp custom and i play metal, what kind of halfstack is gonna get me the most bang for my buck....no tube combos
Heres what you do. Go on ebay and look for a Carvin MTS3200 or X100B head. Will run you around 400 - 500 shipped. Thats your tone. Then scour ebay or Craigslist for a Carvin Legacy cabinet or some other cabinet loaded with CCelestions and can run at 16Ohm. Trust me on this, dont waste your cash on the MG. You will be disapointed.
why no tube combo's might i ask? you have a thing against having good tone?
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Why no tube combos? But if you insist on getting a SS halfstack, I've heard that randall makes good SS amps for metal.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Don't know why you're shunning away tube combos. They will be just as loud as a solid state halfstack, so I hope you're not saying no because you want the "look" of the halfstack. Anyway, the MG100 is your standard Marshall solid state. From my experience the clean is decent enough but the distortion is somewhat sterile and very much lacking in the "punch" department. The built in effects can be useful if you fiddle around and really learn there limitations, but there certainly isn't a whole lot of flexibility with them.

All in all I'd say for a first halfstack the MG is good enough and leaves a lot of room for upgrades. Consider getting a higher end cabinet to improve the MG's tone, plus you can then get better heads without investing in a new cab. And also I urge you to reconsider a tube combo.
I doubt you need a halfstack, but if you and you wont consider a tube combo then at least get a tube halfstack

Solid State Circuitry: Sound worse the louder they go (In a lot of cases)
Tube Circuitry: Sound Better the louder they go
Reason you use a halfstack: You need more volume

See where we're coming from?

And If you are getting a solid state halfstack, at least get something better than an MG such as...

ANYTHING
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jul 31, 2006,
seriously, i picked up a used peavey XXX 2x12 used for $600, and it will blow your MG out of the water voulme and tone wise.

you should also check out a peavey 5150 combo.

you could always pick up a good 2x12 like a carvin legacy and then you basically have a half stack.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Threadstarter, you're going to Hell for even thinking of buying an MG halfstack.

For that price, get a good sounding valve amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yea, i would go with a XXX 2x12 combo. high gain, and is awesome. if you can get more, get the JSX combo.

i had a kid over not too long ago, he brought his MG100 half stack, i giggled inside, but he was a noob, so i didnt bash him too much. he loved my JSX, and he hated the MG afterwards.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
If you insist on a horrible SS half-stack, I'm going to put my vote on Randall. However, a Peavey XXX combo or a peavey 6505 combo would be 100x better. You might be able to get a used Peavey 5150 or 6505 head and a cheap cab if you stretch your budget a little.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by bluehawk15620
i need/ want a halfstack and i was lookin into this, i've seen a lot of good reveiws and i've seen alot of bad, i've played on it too and i thought the clean was amazing and the dist. was pretty good too. my budget is around 700 bucks and i have an epi lp custom and i play metal, what kind of halfstack is gonna get me the most bang for my buck....no tube combos

Lol.

Get a tube combo. If you get a stack for looks, then you're a poser. >_>

All the damn metal/HxC kids around my area who play growl music use solid state stacks. They all suck. I hate the genre regardless, but the tone is horrid. Don't get me wrong, I like high gain tones, that's not the part I hate... But jeez, do NOT get an SS stack just because it has four speakers. The less speakers on an SS the better. -.-
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Quote by nic_2090
If you insist on a horrible SS half-stack, I'm going to put my vote on Randall. However, a Peavey XXX combo or a peavey 6505 combo would be 100x better. You might be able to get a used Peavey 5150 or 6505 head and a cheap cab if you stretch your budget a little.

actually the randal rgt200 head is pretty good. not great, but good. better at downtuned stuff.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by swash
avt150h halfstack

no. Just no. Awful.

Get a tube combo, or else get a tube halfstack second hand.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the reason i don't want a tube combos because expansion is limited i want a stack so i can expand it and i want a solid state becaise it saves me money, if i could afford a tube stack i'd have a crate blue voodoo sitting beside me...i already have a couple ss combos and i don't like the fact that i can't expand them as well as a stack so stop bashing me
you can get a good tube combo and still expand on it.

good tube combo
then get a good cab cab
then get a good tube head and sell the combo.

insted of
****ty ss head and ****ty cab.
sell ****ty cab for decent cab.
sell ****ty ss head for good tube head.
sell decent cab for good cab.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by bluehawk15620
the reason i don't want a tube combos because expansion is limited i want a stack so i can expand it and i want a solid state becaise it saves me money, if i could afford a tube stack i'd have a crate blue voodoo sitting beside me...i already have a couple ss combos and i don't like the fact that i can't expand them as well as a stack so stop bashing me

but your sacrificing the most important thing about guitar....SOUND.

Quote by gpderek09
you can get a good tube combo and still expand on it.

good tube combo
then get a good cab cab
then get a good tube head and sell the combo.

insted of
****ty ss head and ****ty cab.
sell ****ty cab for decent cab.
sell ****ty ss head for good tube head.
sell decent cab for good cab.

Dereks in a good mood today...
But later on you won't want to "expand" the ****ty tone of an MG, you'll want to get rid of it.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
dude..just get the tube combo...

foremost, the tube amp will sound so much better. Second, its more compact..u dont have to carry a head and cabinet.

a cheap tube amp that doesnt sound that bad is a b52 at212 combo amp. All tube 100watts...or a traynor ycv50blue with an overdrive pedal in front of it.
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by bluehawk15620

Course you can expand a combo, most decent ones allow for a cab to be added. And seriously I'd keep my TSL combo over any MG, even one connected to a dozen stacks and I have owned an MG so I can compare the 2, it's like day and night there is that much of a difference. I use my combo now for everything, plenty loud enough and if needed I'll get a quad box later, stuff getting another head just for looks.

Who'd want to expand that MG sound anyways????

EDIT: is there any reason, apart from looks and this insane concept of expansion that you need a half stack anyway?
Last edited by treagar at Aug 1, 2006,
Hey folks, if he have tried it, and really like the tone of a MG halfstack, then why the hell shouldn't he buy it... There are famous players using them, and not every one in the world need a tubeamp...
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Takamine G Series 6&12 string accoustics

Marshall JCM 800 50w 1987 (4 input)
Marshall 1936 Cab

Jim Dunlop CryBaby
MXR 10 band EQ

R n'fn' R!
Quote by Sl4Sh_Jr.
Hey folks, if he have tried it, and really like the tone of a MG halfstack, then why the hell shouldn't he buy it... There are famous players using them, and not every one in the world need a tubeamp...

yes. I know.

name a few famous players that play an MG.
^ wayne static....

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?