i always here stuff said like 95% of mainstream metal sucks these days

i was in my basement making up some riffs, putting em together and ended up creating a twin-guitar harmony melody for a heavy metal egyptian kind of song

it was like iron maiden + steroids + pyramids

and needless to say I was very proud of myself, i even threw in some composed harmonic / arabic solos to add to the egyptian effect with as much melody and slow passages as shred.

and i thought that if i ever became signed to a label with my friends and we became mainstream... could we be able to do the mainstream any good ?

could any of you respectable musicians do any good to the mainstream ?

i always here about amazing metal bands who have fans bitching about how crappy mainstream is, well why not make that metal band mainstream and if it was maybe we could introduce good music into the masses.

know what i mean? if some record guy tried intervening with our music id try to negociate and if not id leave.

discuss the possibilities of bringing old school metal into mainstream, is it feasable these days ?
Being mainstream makes elitists hate you, whether you are good or not.

Most metalheads want bands to share among themselves, not 8 year old girls.

Now your band may be excellent, but if you go mainstream the record companies will undoubtedly ask you to change your music (if only slightly) so they can make more money, and if you change for the bad, then yes a lot of metalheads will hate you because you changed for money (think Metallica, In Flames, Satyricon)
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
Being mainstream makes elitists hate you, whether you are good or not.

Most metalheads want bands to share among themselves, not 8 year old girls.

Now your band may be excellent, but if you go mainstream the record companies will undoubtedly ask you to change your music (if only slightly) so they can make more money, and if you change for the bad, then yes a lot of metalheads will hate you because you changed for money (think Metallica, In Flames, Satyricon)

and i told them to **** off ?

imagine if st anger never happened, but mr rock was asking them to change couldnt they be like ''piss off'' and go to a more accepting label

especially since they would be a gold mine of cash for any record label
No, in order to be Grimm & therefore metal you have to relase 2 demo albums each limited to 100 copies on clear vinyl, & therefore not mainstream.

No, I think it depends on what you mean by "oldschool" metal. If you mean Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc...then yea, its feasible. Music goes in cycles that way I think. But if you mean like Black metal or death metal?, no. The hot busty blonde chick in your 5th period math class who's dating the quarterback; she'll never be driving to hang out with her chicks & pumping Xasthur or Morbid Angel...
Don't analyze my beliefs & I won't pick out the flaws in yours
Quote by RingmasterTJ
No, in order to be Grimm & therefore metal you have to relase 2 demo albums each limited to 100 copies on clear vinyl, & therefore not mainstream.

No, I think it depends on what you mean by "oldschool" metal. If you mean Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc...then yea, its feasible. Music goes in cycles that way I think. But if you mean like Black metal or death metal?, no. The hot busty blonde chick in your 5th period math class who's dating the quarterback; she'll never be driving to hang out with her chicks & pumping Xasthur or Morbid Angel...

by old school i mean stuff like

maiden, pantera, iced earth and painkiller-era judaspriest

i basically want a singer who knows what hes doing

EDIT : if it was going for a dive , would it be possible to bail off the major label and start anew in the underground
Last edited by Rising at Jul 31, 2006,
you have record only one split cd with 50 copies using a phone message recorder, a strat knockoff and a penis in order to be kvlt.
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
Theres no such thing as mainstream metal. unless you mean bands that sell out.
GEAR:
Washburn x10 "Washy"
Ibanez S470DXQM "Kimberly"
BC Rich NJ strat "Sydney"
Roland Cube 60
Vox V847
Boss OD1
Boss CE2
Digitech Death Metal
Russian Big Muff PI
DOD Deth Metal
Ibanez SM9
If it is true metal then mainstream society will not embrace it and not buy the album, the average person really doesnt like metal, people assume I have mental problems when I play any black or death metal, so since so few people like real metal it will never become mainstream
Generally to be mainstream, you need radio play. Lots of it. You need vidoes on primetime MTV1 and the new VH1. You need to be beautiful in the eyes of every ditzy blonde who sees you. To get these things, you need a massive record label, based in the country you live/record in. You need to get along with these corporate assholes. You also have to conform to everything they want you to do, or else they will cut your airtime. You will have lose a fan base if that happens.

Now, think about a generic metal band, say, Iron Maiden. Look at what happened to them at Ozzfest, the debacle they had to go through because Sharon Osbourne disliked them. Now think about your band, and think about weather or not you could make friends with everyone high up in the mainstream music industry.

Now, think about your band, which sounds like a toned up solo Karl Sanders (Saruian Meditation) or a toned down Nile. Imagine if either of these bands could do everything above, without falling prey to the massive popularity they could achieve, while making every one of us hate them for it, or having them crushed, and possibly unable to realease another album under any known record label for it.

Metal will not be mainstream, unless the entire social class of the world changes.
What i dont understand is how iron maiden is so well known its amazing, there is not a soul who does not know iron maiden

Nevermore is getting pretty dam well known

so is dragonforce
You guys know, Metallica IS metal, no matter how much you say they are not. And they are mainstream, so, yeah.
yeah but are they better off because they mainstream, well there wallets are but not there music
mainstream audiences don't think the same way as you. They want simple 4/4 type stuff that they can instantly like without any thought process required. If you can do weird egyptian type stuff in the middle of your metal song and have some 14 year old bozo singing to it, you could be a very rich man.

so no you can't be mainstream if you want to really push the envelope. Want to be mainstream? Dye your hair blonde and have blue eyes, then grab an acoustic and pour your heart out about love and lost relationships. Be 18 or 19 as well.
Read my post. Not this.
Quote by mingles
so no you can't be mainstream if you want to really push the envelope. Want to be mainstream? Dye your hair blonde and have blue eyes, then grab an acoustic and pour your heart out about love and lost relationships. Be 18 or 19 as well.

Or, dye your hair black, get it longer in the front to cover one eye, wear eye-liner, Silverstein shirts and women's pants... You know... like an emo or fagcore band.
There have always been two mainstreams. POP mainstream and "underground" mainstream. That said, you could call just about any good metal band mainstream. They're good, thus worth listening thus popular among us metal heads. If you're making goodmusic, its inevitable you'l become popular. Pre Black era metallica's a great example of the underground mainstream. Master of puppets sold alot yet never got major airplay. Not a metal head who didn't know who metallica was. Yet the POP guys were probably clueless.
Last edited by Inahrima at Aug 1, 2006,
eh I dont kno, I play in a melodic death metal band and we played a show not too long ago just in our town and about 600 - 700 showed and theres barely any metalheads in this town. And they seemed to enjoy it. Tho they all of course did not like our vocalist as he did the typical screaming and growling but they liked all the guitar stuff. Yes I kno, we are not kvlt
The band doesn't decide if the band is good, the fans do (in a way). You could be an amazing metal band that somehow gets signed to a major and puts out videos on mtv, but if the majority of people don't dig it you won't go anywhere, no one will take much notice.

I mean you won't go anywhere as far as becoming more famous/mainstream goes.
Quote by the glue man
You guys know, Metallica IS metal, no matter how much you say they are not. And they are mainstream, so, yeah.

Metallica hasn't been metal for over 15 years and that's when they went mainstream moron.

There is no such thing as mainstream metal. Why? Caus people can't stand it, no one wants to hear metal on the radio, it hurts their ears. Thrash metal? too fast and screamed, not enough melody. Death metal? WTF is that noise? Black metal? The reception is utter ****, all I hear is static. Doom metal? This isn't joyful or anything, it's slow agonizing and makes me want to drive off that bridge. Power metal? Why does he scream this high? Why are the melodies all played so fast? Prog metal? Is this f-in song ever going to end? Folk metal? who wants to hear folk on the radio and now folk metal? Melodic death? Where's the melody, it sounds like noise to me, etc.

That is why metal is never going to be mainstream.
Quote by chemicalsolutio
Metallica hasn't been metal for over 15 years and that's when they went mainstream moron.

There is no such thing as mainstream metal. Why? Caus people can't stand it, no one wants to hear metal on the radio, it hurts their ears. Thrash metal? too fast and screamed, not enough melody. Death metal? WTF is that noise? Black metal? The reception is utter ****, all I hear is static. Doom metal? This isn't joyful or anything, it's slow agonizing and makes me want to drive off that bridge. Power metal? Why does he scream this high? Why are the melodies all played so fast? Prog metal? Is this f-in song ever going to end? Folk metal? who wants to hear folk on the radio and now folk metal? Melodic death? Where's the melody, it sounds like noise to me, etc.

That is why metal is never going to be mainstream.

You hit the nail on the head.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
If Atreyu and Bullet For My Valentine can be accepted into the mainstream, I see no reson why bands like The Absence can't. Metalcore and melodic death are almost exactly alike, except that one has breakdowns, different lyrical themes, and slightly different rythmic patterns.

And, BTW, Black Label Society have made there way into mainstream rock. Not exactly the most "kvlt" metal music, but metal nontheless.
Quote by Scourge441
If Atreyu and Bullet For My Valentine can be accepted into the mainstream, I see no reson why bands like The Absence can't. Metalcore and melodic death are almost exactly alike, except that one has breakdowns, different lyrical themes, and slightly different rythmic patterns.

And, BTW, Black Label Society have made there way into mainstream rock. Not exactly the most "kvlt" metal music, but metal nontheless.

Bands like those are just the new "in thing" metal (or rather) heavier music is quite popular now, not really, but compared to the past alot of people are listening to more loud heavy music, so it's getting closer, but I don't think "true metal" will ever get there, and if it does, it'll just be the extreme part of this fad.
Quote by Rising
i always here stuff said like 95% of mainstream metal sucks these days

i was in my basement making up some riffs, putting em together and ended up creating a twin-guitar harmony melody for a heavy metal egyptian kind of song

it was like iron maiden + steroids + pyramids

and needless to say I was very proud of myself, i even threw in some composed harmonic / arabic solos to add to the egyptian effect with as much melody and slow passages as shred.

and i thought that if i ever became signed to a label with my friends and we became mainstream... could we be able to do the mainstream any good ?

could any of you respectable musicians do any good to the mainstream ?

i always here about amazing metal bands who have fans bitching about how crappy mainstream is, well why not make that metal band mainstream and if it was maybe we could introduce good music into the masses.

know what i mean? if some record guy tried intervening with our music id try to negociate and if not id leave.

discuss the possibilities of bringing old school metal into mainstream, is it feasable these days ?

?
Quote by somepunkkid

?

Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by Scourge441

those bands don't push the envelope in any way though. They are heavier than your typical mainstream stuff, but its still very melodic and catchy. Its not very heavy at all compared to metal.
Read my post. Not this.
metal won't be mainstream bacuase people don't immeadiately like it....and they don't like that. Heck when I first got into 'rock' I was listening to linkin park and stuff, and since then I have moved through most genre's (bar emo and punk) i was bought up on Led Zepp, Metallica and Mariyn Manson, and my parents friends don't like their kind of music.

It just wouldn't be accepted, sometimes I wonder to myself as I listen to Chuck Schuldiner slam down a wicked palm muting pattern followed by some quick fire melody, 'How can people not like this? It's just so damn amazing!' But that's my opion if i were to play the same thing to a Chav he/she (sometimes can't tell) would a)lamp me and b)shout and scream and f and blind about how crap it is and how he can't tell what he's saying and the normal stuff.

Fact is that metal is a somewhat refined taste if you like you like it if you don't you don't so that's that...
\m/ >_< \m/

\m/ Laceration \m/

Quote by CSguitarvocal
I wish a thousand Lex Steele rapes upon you...

Quote by shawnson
Nuthin' like 12,000 inches of negro penis in the bum to set your musical taste right.