Would it be possible for a band to play many diffrents forms of music, and still keep a steady fanbase?
I ask this becouse, I got like... heavy metal, thrash, hardcore, punk, indie riff and song ideas and...yeah.
Sorry if this is hard to understand. I've been up for 23 hours now.
I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed. I'm gonna wait for the sun to shine down on me. I cut a hole in my roof in the shape of a heart snf I' goin' out west where they'll appreciate me"

Click this if you like men!
Possible? Maybe.

Practical? Not really.

There are too many different guitar tones spread across those types of music - you'd end up switching guitars after every song or two! So, unless you've got either (a) a good collection of guitars, amps and effects that you can switch out quickly or (b) an insane road team, I'd say don't try it.

But then, I could be wrong.

yeah youd have to figure put how to mesh those ideas cohesively into single songs pretty much or else youd have to have a whole lot of equipment, plus itd be pretty hard to keep a good consistant fanbase that way.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Everyone's gonna say you're a sellout or something if you change styles too much, you won't be a sellout but everyone will accuse you of being one.

But give it a try. Sounds interesting.
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
there are more bands with those styles blended together than you think i.e. any metalcore band you can think of
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
You could yea, but you'd have to combine them in a way that makes them, sound as if they were one genre.
Say like your indie riffs, rip out the distortion, or use it as a clean part in the bridge or interlude, just d i c k around with your riffs until you are satisfied with how they blend.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Same here, if we can get going........

I just kinda play what sounds good to me, and tell that to my guitarist/vox person so pretty much, we sound like Misfits+Immortal= Really f*ckin weird. And my drummer (if he isnt dead yet) can play everything, so yea......
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Combine your influences - just play about with different ideas and try to get them to come together as something cohesive.
the chilis are a great example of this, they play soooo many genres, but in quite a lot of their songs these are combined into their own genre. I think the most important thing is to find a sound that you like and play it, if that means your band plays 4 different genres, then do it! it worked out fine for RHCP!
Who the sh.it cares about a fan base? Just play what you want. You could mix in any kind of genre if you think it sounds good.
Ah get born, keep warm
Short pants, romance, learn to dance
Get dressed, get blessed
Try to be a success
I was wondering the same thing myself. There's no law that forbids it. A band doesn't have to be stuck to one genre of music.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
i like this question, mainly because this is what i do!! i have songs that have a definite industrial vibe, some that sound like old school metal, some that sound country-ish, i've got about 20 songs that are mixtures of techno/dance type stuff with bass and screaming guitars..... i've also got stuff that sounds like classical pieces, blues, i try to mix everything in and i will say your fan base won't be HUGE HUGE HUGE, but you will definately get the people that have an open mind and appreciate music for what it is...... however i gotta say 'kid rock' did this superbly by mixing many different genres together on 1 album which i really enjoy (devil without a cause is tha SH!T)