I have a 15 watt Fender practice amp, and the other day when I was playing I kinda stepped on my instrument cable, and instead of it yanking out of the input it stayed in. All my amp does when I try to play it is buzz really loud, and the guitar is very very quiet. It's not the guitar, amp, or intrument cable, because I checked. I opened it up yesterday to see what the problem was, but I quickly closed it back up because I realized I had no clue what I was doing. What is wrong with it and how can I fix it?
sounds like youve torn something a cable or somthing inside the amp could be the Inst. in socket something in there probally a lose connection i couldnt say for sure tho.
-¦Have A Nice Day¦- Going to see Bon Jovi in Glasgow 3rd June 2006
Quote by carsonplunkett
It's not the guitar, amp, or intrument cable, because I checked. I opened it up yesterday to see what the problem was, but I quickly closed it back up because I realized I had no clue what I was doing. What is wrong with it and how can I fix it?

What model amp is it?
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
It's a Fender.. (originally stated in the threadstarter's post)
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
Quote by washburndean
It's a Fender.. (originally stated in the threadstarter's post)

I know that but do you think Fender, in some crazy little scheme to turn a profit, created more than one model of amplifiers?

I'm asking this becuase I might have an answer depending on whether or not the amplifier is solid state or tube.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
I'm willing to bet it is the cable. Test it out with a different cable and report back.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

also, unscrew the metal portions on the ends of the cable and make sure its all still connected, if not, nothing a little soldering wouldnt fix.

But if it some how snapped in the middle, probably be better to just get a new cable. But yea as Flyingjew said, try a new cable
I do this like on most my cables. You've pulled the insides apart slightly and if you just push the cable firmly together it should fix it.
You might take the amp apart, and check the input jack. Make sure all the wires are connected properly. Also, check the wires connected to the speaker, make sure that is all connected properly.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by carsonplunkett
I checked the cable with another amp and it's fine.
And it's a Fender 15R

A 15R which is a solid state amp - in that case, my previous hypothesis wouldn't be helpful as it applies only to tube amps

Does it clear up a little when you wiggle the jack into the amplifier via the instrument cable end?
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Judging from the symptoms (buzzing, quiet guitar output), I'd guess some damage to the preamp system occured (since tube amps generally exibit the same symptoms when a pre-amp tube is blown) - the best advice I can offer is to have the retailer you purchased it from, take a look at it.

Sorry bud
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
itd prob be cheaper and better just to get a new amp...

drop 150ish and get a valvetronix