Page 1 of 2
So, I think I'm going to buy a Carvin cab, but I'm not sure which one. I could either get the Legacy or the MTS. The Legacy comes with Celestion Vintage 30's, and the MTS comes with GT12-75's. Which speaker would be better for playing metal?

Also, if something else about either cab makes it better, please let me know.
Since you like maiden im gonna say the MTS as both of Maidnes guitairsts use those speakers
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I own a Carvin V3 Cab with g12t-75's in it. Its perfect for metal, lotsa bass thump.
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
the mesa mark 4 cab also has vintage 30's so I'd go for that one, it gives alot of low end response.
The G12's are your best bet for metal. Vintage 30's specialize in having sparkling mids and trebles. G12's are more known for their thumping bass tones. Look into the re-released G12H-30's too.
I actually have a Legacy cab for sale. Well not actually for sale, it sits in my studio and collects dust. Bottom cabinet with V 30's and rocks. Go with the V'30's.
Personally for those 'vintage 30' style sounds... but with more balls i would get the eminience govenor... Just seriously consider the eminence series for metal... But if those are you're only choice as you want a 'ready done' stack as it were i would say the G12s.. but it does depend what kinda mid-range tone/shape you want...

please enlighten us... Do you want more scooped mids, or just harsh biting mids?

I think the Vintage 30s are a better speakers but if you want a Metal Speaker go with the GT12-75's.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
I'd have said vintage 30's, but everyone else seems to be going with the 75's... I just don't think I like the 75's... they sound a bit muffled to me or something...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ i play some metal...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ aye.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dookie_1988

please enlighten us... Do you want more scooped mids, or just harsh biting mids?

I guess you'd call it scooped, I don't use a whole bunch of mids. My EQ is kind of like:

low-9
mid-3
high-9

and my od pedal has it's tone knob to about 10 o'clock

edit: To the guys saying vintage 30, just so you know, I play death metal too, not just old school stuff like Maiden. I wanted to mention that just in case it changes things.
Last edited by frozen-dirt at Jul 31, 2006,
Actually, look at Eminence's 'Man o War'.. perfect for metal that... everything you need.. you would still want to keep your mids turned down tho...

That seems far better for you than the V30...

Quote by frozen-dirt
I guess you'd call it scooped, I don't use a whole bunch of mids. My EQ is kind of like:

low-9
mid-3
high-9

and my od pedal has it's tone knob to about 10 o'clock

edit: To the guys saying vintage 30, just so you know, I play death metal too, not just old school stuff like Maiden. I wanted to mention that just in case it changes things.

Doesnt Dave Mustaine use V30's in his cabs?
ahh megadeath... yes alot of people use V30s... alot of people also commit suicide, doesn't mean it's good...

the V30s jsut seem to be a speaker for people who don't really know what they want...
Quote by Dookie_1988
ahh megadeath... yes alot of people use V30s... alot of people also commit suicide, doesn't mean it's good...

the V30s jsut seem to be a speaker for people who don't really know what they want...

Are you claiming that either Dave Mustaine or I dont "know what we want"? And Greenbacks or G12-T75's are for conosuers?
I wouldn't say thet GT12-75's are for "conosuers". Greenbacks for sure but 12's..??? I don't think so.

Vintage 30's are also sweet, but Green Backs Rule.

But then again any Celestion is better than eminence. IMO
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by Molsons Golden

But then again any Celestion is better than eminence. IMO

Yeah know...Celestion makes a lot of crappy speakers...like the ones in Kuston cabs...and MG/AVT cabs...etc.
Quote by demea
Are you claiming that either Dave Mustaine or I dont "know what we want"? And Greenbacks or G12-T75's are for conosuers?

I'm not claiming that no... just saying V30s seem to be the generic rock speaker.. even though they arnt that good IMO...

seems to be alot of people on this forum will say use that V30 cause celestion are heard of and the V30 is used my famous people... without trying it themselves...

I just think the floor should be opened up to other manufactuers... not ones based in sweat shops where people are paid in rice seed...

Quote by Dookie_1988

not really, i like the strong mids. It's true though, the v30's are a good speaker if you play a wide variety of stuff.

Aren't eminence like about 4 times as dear as celestions over here, though?

erock:
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dookie_1988
Actually, look at Eminence's 'Man o War'.. perfect for metal that... everything you need.. you would still want to keep your mids turned down tho...

The Man O War is based on a 75... But doesn't suck.

Personally I'd say V30 anyday of the week for any genre... The 75s are just horrible speakers IMO. They're harsh in the top end and have no definition in the low end. If everything was right in the world they'd cost £2 for 4 and would be seen in every beginner amp.... But maybe that's just me.

I'd personally go for an EV type speaker or a G12H30 for metal.

And Dave, Emi's are much cheaper. You can get most models for around £40 here. (If they're the models that they import in, they don't seem to bring some into this country for some reason.)

EDIT: on hearing you play death metal then an EV type speaker would be the best no bout adout it.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak
The Man O War is based on a 75... But doesn't suck.

Personally I'd say V30 anyday of the week for any genre... The 75s are just horrible speakers IMO. They're harsh in the top end and have no definition in the low end. If everything was right in the world they'd cost £2 for 4 and would be seen in every beginner amp.... But maybe that's just me.

I'd personally go for an EV type speaker or a G12H30 for metal.

And Dave, Emi's are much cheaper. You can get most models for around £40 here. (If they're the models that they import in, they don't seem to bring some into this country for some reason.)

EDIT: on hearing you play death metal then an EV type speaker would be the best no bout adout it.

£40 only? Do you have a link to anywhere that sells them, lewis?

I had an old guitarist magazine where they tested alnico speakers, and they said the red fang was £140! (unless it's dear like that because it's one of the alnico ones, like the way the celestion blue is about £160).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
(can't edit as comp will crash)

oh, and +1 on the 75 sucking.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
£40 only? Do you have a link to anywhere that sells them, lewis?

I had an old guitarist magazine where they tested alnico speakers, and they said the red fang was £140! (unless it's dear like that because it's one of the alnico ones, like the way the celestion blue is about £160).

Yep, alnico speakers cost a bomb... The hemp coned alnico tone tubby costs a bomb.. If I wanted a 4 x 12 loaded with them I think I may have to sell my house. (But I don't like the sound anyway so it's alright. lol.)

If you go on ebay UK there's this shop that stocks them, they have most for between £30-£60 with £40 being about average from what I remember. I'm waiting for them to get some Tonespotters in. I've been told that they will wipe the floor with my Weber 1265 so I'm intrigued!

EDIT: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Just-Add-Music_Speakers-Components_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ16QQftidZ2QQpZ2QQtZkm that's the shop. At least that's A shop that does them... I'm sure there are loads more I looked a bit harder.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
The red fang does cost that much yes.. but that's coz it's meant to be based on the infamous AlNiCo blue...

All the eminence speakers are avalible here for UK purchase... As lewis said.. there are a few models they dont sell in this country... the 10" 'lil buddy' and the EV based 'commonwealth's to name a couple...

EDIT: to Lewis: that shop i linked stocks the TSs...

And i'm getting my Webers ordered soon.. can't wait!!!

^ awesome, thanks. What's "EV" mean in speaker terminology? (i'm a n00b, ok?)

EDIT: and holy crap, they're cheaper than celestions, the vast majority of which are made in china...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Electro Voice... The dogs nowadays in terms of HiFi speakers... And dont worry dave... I've only been learning off lewis over this past year and a bit about speakers... It's a tottally differnt world...

EDIT: and yes... they are cheaper... and i prefer them simply coz they've been made where they should be...
^ thanks, both dookie and lewis. Oh, and the red fang is £108. That's not TOO bad, i suppose...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ thanks, both dookie and lewis. Oh, and the red fang is £108. That's not TOO bad, i suppose...

£432 for a 4 x 12? I wish I had your pay check.

And yeah, EV stands for electrovoice. They have a quite "high tech" sort of construction which makes them extremely high wattage and allows them to be extremely hifi in response. IMO this is the best thing for metal as they don't break up at all allowing you to pile on the gain, and they don't colour the tone so you don't get a muddy/harsh/bright tone. Although it must be said you can only really pull them off with a good amp, if you've got a **** amp then an EV won't make it sound any better (where as a greenback might change the tone and make it better in some circumstances.)

And £44 for a tonespotter is pretty good. I might have to get a couple for my Gibson... Then hopefully flog the V30s to someone for much more than I buy the TS for.

Quote by Dookie_1988
I'm not claiming that no... just saying V30s seem to be the generic rock speaker.. even though they arnt that good IMO...

seems to be alot of people on this forum will say use that V30 cause celestion are heard of and the V30 is used my famous people... without trying it themselves...

I just think the floor should be opened up to other manufactuers... not ones based in sweat shops where people are paid in rice seed...

True, the V30 is a popular speaker used by numerous artists, but for a good reason.
They are reliable, have a nice low breakup, great mids and wont break the bank.
Most people dont have the luxury of trying out five different speakers in their cabinets. And even if they did, most couldnt tell the difference anyway.
Personally, I dont care if the speakers are made of Bald Eagle...if they make me sound like I want to sound like, whatever.
Quote by power freak
£432 for a 4 x 12? I wish I had your pay check.

And yeah, EV stands for electrovoice. They have a quite "high tech" sort of construction which makes them extremely high wattage and allows them to be extremely hifi in response. IMO this is the best thing for metal as they don't break up at all allowing you to pile on the gain, and they don't colour the tone so you don't get a muddy/harsh/bright tone. Although it must be said you can only really pull them off with a good amp, if you've got a **** amp then an EV won't make it sound any better (where as a greenback might change the tone and make it better in some circumstances.)

And £44 for a tonespotter is pretty good. I might have to get a couple for my Gibson... Then hopefully flog the V30s to someone for much more than I buy the TS for.

haha, i wasn't meaning for a 4x12, why'd you put vintage-y speakers in a 4x12? I'd be putting it in an as-yet-not-mine combo 1x12, lol- if I ever bothered.

Anyway, to go back to the eminence versus celestion...

What's the eminence based on the vintage 30? the governor?

ditto but based on the g12h30? private jack? or is it based on the greenback?

the red fang is based on the alnico blue, as far as I know.

Also, what's the general consensus? eminence better than celestion? better than UK-made celestions (heritage series and alnico series)? personal preference? I think I've only tried the swamp thangs, and since I tried them with a krank, that's not really much help...

I kind of looked into them a while ago, but kind of discounted them as I (erroneously) thought they were too dear.

just to warn you about the v30's, lewis- i think you can get them new for about £40 odd quid from zilla music, who have an ebay store...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A popular habit is to mix two speaker types, say 2 V30s and 2 GT12 in one 4x12. That way you get a bit of both, good bass from the GT and mids/highs from the v30s.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Dave_Mc
What's the eminence based on the vintage 30? the governor?

ditto but based on the g12h30? private jack? or is it based on the greenback?

the red fang is based on the alnico blue, as far as I know.

Also, what's the general consensus? eminence better than celestion? better than UK-made celestions (heritage series and alnico series)? personal preference? I think I've only tried the swamp thangs, and since I tried them with a krank, that's not really much help...

I kind of looked into them a while ago, but kind of discounted them as I (erroneously) thought they were too dear.

just to warn you about the v30's, lewis- i think you can get them new for about £40 odd quid from zilla music, who have an ebay store...

The wizard is G12H based. I believe the guv is V30 based and private jack is greenback based. The man o war is g12-75 based. The tonespotter is G1265 based. The Tonker is Fane based. I think the Red ryder is lead 80 based too but I'm not sure.

celestion v emi is a very personal thing, I don' t know if one is in general regarded more highly than the other. The more "cork sniffing" friends of mine seem to be jumping on the emi band wagon quite quickly though. Personally I've found emi's ever so slightly brighter sounding than celestion without as much depth to the tone. If I look at the "ratio" of working speakers to broken speakers that I hear about then celestion comes out on top (but that may just be because of the huge number of people that use them.)

As for the new heritage celestion line: the greenback is WAYYYYYY too bright IMO. I prefer the bog standard version. I heard people saying this before I tried them back to back and thought they were lying, but through a blind test I agree.

And don't worry about flogging these speaekrs, I've got many idiotic friends. One of them bought a metal zone s/h for £60....

Quote by power freak
The wizard is G12H based. I believe the guv is V30 based and private jack is greenback based. The man o war is g12-75 based. The tonespotter is G1265 based. The Tonker is Fane based. I think the Red ryder is lead 80 based too but I'm not sure.

celestion v emi is a very personal thing, I don' t know if one is in general regarded more highly than the other. The more "cork sniffing" friends of mine seem to be jumping on the emi band wagon quite quickly though. Personally I've found emi's ever so slightly brighter sounding than celestion without as much depth to the tone. If I look at the "ratio" of working speakers to broken speakers that I hear about then celestion comes out on top (but that may just be because of the huge number of people that use them.)

As for the new heritage celestion line: the greenback is WAYYYYYY too bright IMO. I prefer the bog standard version. I heard people saying this before I tried them back to back and thought they were lying, but through a blind test I agree.

And don't worry about flogging these speaekrs, I've got many idiotic friends. One of them bought a metal zone s/h for £60....

cool, thanks, lewis.

G12-65? don't celestion have a new heritage version of it coming out soon (i don't think it's out yet, but it's on the website)?

I figured it'd be preference.

Just to confirm- when you say "If I look at the "ratio" of working speakers to broken speakers that I hear about then celestion comes out on top (but that may just be because of the huge number of people that use them.)" do you mean the celestions have less speakers fail, or more?

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
cool, thanks, lewis.

G12-65? don't celestion have a new heritage version of it coming out soon (i don't think it's out yet, but it's on the website)?

I figured it'd be preference.

Just to confirm- when you say "If I look at the "ratio" of working speakers to broken speakers that I hear about then celestion comes out on top (but that may just be because of the huge number of people that use them.)" do you mean the celestions have less speakers fail, or more?

A heritage 1265? Wowzers... Never heard anything about that, I hope it's true! Then maybe the old ones won't fetch £300 a pop! (And I may be able to afford an actual celestion 1265 for once.)

On average it seems celestion fail less... But because there are so many more celestions than eminence it may not be a good guide.

*hits google to find more about the 1265*

EDIT: Sweet: http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/products/heritage/detail.asp?ID=32
^ aye, a guy on the BK forums was talking about it. I'd seen it, but seeing as how I've only been playing for about 5 years, it didn't really mean much to me. Then he said it was one of the best speakers for the 80's jcm800 tone. That piqued my interest, lol.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2