I was wondering what kind of pedal I should get..

I love to play music by all sorts of bands ranging from Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin to Metallica. From Stevie Ray Vaughan to Phish.

I was wondering what kind of pedal I should get an overdrive or distortion pedal to suit my needs?

I already have very decent gear.. and I'm getting an Agile Les Paul Double Cut. So, I'm just looking to add some variety to my tone.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
I have a Fender 85, the same one that Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead uses.

The problem is.. I have no idea whether it's solid state or tube.

Another question.. what is the difference between distortion and overdrive anyway?
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Epiphone Hummingbird

Quote by washburndean

Another question.. what is the difference between distortion and overdrive anyway?

Distortion pedals create distortion while overdrvive pedals push the power amp harder until it distorts (Sounds good with tube amps, bad with solid-states)
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by washburndean

Don't mean to sound rude but...open the back panel. Are there tubes? It's a tube amp. Are there no tubes? It's solid state. Is there only 1 or 2 tubes? It's hybrid which is essentially solid state as well.
if you're going overdrive I suggest trying out the new MXR mc-402 wich is supposed to be a very good overdrive pedal!!
bump.. any more suggestions?
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Epiphone Hummingbird

the fender 85 is a solid state... and the 158 is so called 'transtube' which is realli solid state anyway... so as the guy above said.. go distortion..
imo i'd go boss metal zone for the variety since u like all the variety anyway
or try out the boss range if u want something more defined
personally i only like the boss distortions... some ppl like the ibanez reissues.. but they are too expensive i reckon
my humble gears:

Ibanez Prestige RG1570 with EVOS!!!
Epiphone Std LesPaul with PAFs

EVJ -> 1960av
EHX Metal Muff, Big Muff, Small Clone
Ibanez WD7, VOX V847, OD-3, BLT slap echo

FIRST Member #11 of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by kwokwok

imo i'd go boss metal zone for the variety since u like all the variety anyway
or try out the boss range if u want something more defined
personally i only like the boss distortions...

MT-2 = crap

and there are other pedals out there other than Boss.

Check into Rocktron's pedals. The SilverDragon is awesome. Also VisualSound, the Jekyll and Hyde is SWEET...etc.
yeah the MT-2 isnt very good, try the EH Metal Muff or the Rocktron Silver Dragon, both of those kick ass.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
im yet to try rocktron and visual sound here in sydney =(

well I like the mt-2 cos it has a big range and good for SS amps (which i have)
my humble gears:

EVJ -> 1960av

Quote by kwokwok
im yet to try rocktron and visual sound here in sydney =(

well I like the mt-2 cos it has a big range and good for SS amps (which i have)

it has a big range but when you play it with other instruments or at a high volume it will sound really really muddy, its great for bedroom practice though.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^ yeah. It just sounds way too thin and lifeless..tinny...scratchy...hissy..etc. And theres NO flexibility with it either.
whoa whoa guys
nothing wrong with the mt-2
some people like it some dont
but yea
there IS other stuff than boss
mxr.crank,everything
but for you
maybe a rocktron something
silver dragon? metal planet? zombie?
the zombie is rectified distortion that sounds pretty awesome its not as CUTTING edge(gainwise) as the mt-2 but it sounds awesome
just try stuff out
Stuff:Prs billy martin se, squier strat, peavey valveking 212, boss:mt-2,md-2,sd-1,tr-2,oc-3,Mxrdynacomp,G2.1U multieffects pedal.
my band
www.myspace.com/inyerdreams
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
LOL never buy Boss pedals there way tooo basic, i have a Line6 Tone Core Uber Metal good for Mettalica, it has sound gates has 3 different distortion types, metal, pulverize, and insane, its really good for heavy stuff...

get a danelectro distortion pedal they are like 15 bucks and my friend says they are really good... or you can buy a line 6 amp which has crunch, twang, clean, insane, metal, and flanger, chorus so much...
Quote by eddiesclone
get a danelectro distortion pedal they are like 15 bucks and my friend says they are really good.

your friend is a mother fucking liar!

danelectro distortion sucks compared to anything else. do you wonder why it's only 15 bucks?
and boss pedals are too basic? are you on drugs?
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Last edited by *kill'emall* at Jul 31, 2006,
some boss are realli basic i admit
BUT in the end lets discuss this in repect to his SS amps.... ie lets not compared to how it sounds to ur 2k+ tube amps =]

jst trying to help the guy~
my humble gears:

EVJ -> 1960av

Quote by *kill'emall*
your friend is a mother fucking liar!

danelectro distortion sucks compared to anything else. do you wonder why it's only 15 bucks?
and boss pedals are too basic? are you on drugs?

settle down retard. gah.

Those $15 pedals sound OK for the price. You get what you pay for ya know. I sell them at work and they really dont sound too bad for the price.

Yes, Boss pedals are basic...but thats no reason to say 'never get them'.
Quote by *kill'emall*

Hmmm I tried one in the shop the other day and I wasn't impressed. This pedal might be good for classic rock or maybe a bit of hard rock, but it certainly will not suffice for playing Metallica.

Quote by Witch-king
Hmmm I tried one in the shop the other day and I wasn't impressed. This pedal might be good for classic rock or maybe a bit of hard rock, but it certainly will not suffice for playing Metallica.

precisely. Not good enough for a huge ass font like that anyways...
i may be the only one that thinks this and i may get flamed but i use an overdrive on my solidstate and it sounds great, im able to get a greayt crunch sound out of my bandit with my overdrive pedal. BUt thats my opinion , it depends. You should probably get an overdrive, if your amp is a tube or not, because overdrives sound good on fender solid-states as well. Im assuming your amp can get a fair bit of gain out of it, the overdrive should be able to push it into metal territory.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Thanks guys!

Man.. I never knew my Fender was a solid-state. It's still a great amp though!
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Epiphone Hummingbird

I agree with IncubusMan999 and have to say something here.

"Distortion adds distortion"
"Overdrive pushes the poweramp/tubes harder"

As far as I'm aware they both do the same thing, just to different extents. Distortion clips the soundwave harder giving a harsher sound, good for high gain sounds. Whereas overdrive clips the soundwave in a less brash way making it smoother and hense a smoother sound.

If you were to put an overdrive in front of a tube amp (or some distortion pedals in some cases) with the level high and the gain low, acting as a booster, THEN you're pushing the amp to get more gain.

I use an overdrive with my Cube and am happy with the sound at the moment. When I start gigging again I'm gonna be looking for a valve amp, possibly a Fender, but at the moment it gets just the sounds I want.

IMO there's nothing to say overdrive pedals SOUND CRAP on solid states and vise versa for distortion pedals on tube amps.

Oh and.. correct me if I'm wrong.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Guys there is so much more out there for good distortion and overdrive then boss and mxr. Everything Electroharmix makes is freaking sweet. Check out the English Muff'n. That thing can be used as a distortion or an overdrive based on the way you set it and your amp. Sounds like old marshalls from the 70s. heck you can trough an overdrive in front of it for even more rock and roll. Then check out the Fulltone products. Those things are freaking sweet. The Full-drive 2 is the best rhythem overdrve you can buy and the OCD is straight crazy. Then Symor Duncan (cant spell) has a twin tube overdrive that is really sweet. it gets those tube amps crunchier then anything.
Rig: Gibson Les Paul Studio into Ibenez Tubescreamer to Boss DD-20 to a Gibson GA-20RVT runned of an Orange 2x12. Soon getting a Vox AC-15 into an orange 2x12 for the chimy clean.
No ones mentioned the Maxon OD-9 or Ibanez Tubescreamer...those pedals sounds amazing on either a solid state or a valve. They are gods of the crunch. Overdrive and Distortion do the same thing to different extents, so just do trial and error when trying to find the right pedal for your sound.
Tool kicks ass