im only starting to learn scales now after 6 months of playing guitar, i know i should have started them earlier but i was tryin to avoid, , right i was told to learn majors and minors and stuff so i was lookin at cyberfret.com and found these
http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/basic/page2.php
do i just use these shapes and move them up and down the fretboard and just play them in all positions to get me started? or am i completely wrong?

i understand all that root note stuff, so say i take that first form, the majr one, can i just play that anywhere on teh fretboard and that is the major scale of that note, i dont have to change the shape of this pattern at anypoint do i?
You're right - move that pattern across the fretboard to your desired key. With the root note on the low E string on th 8th fret using that pattern, you'll be playing the Cmajor scale over two octaves - 5th you'll be playing the Amajor scale, and so on and so forth.

After you're comfortable playing the pattern and moving it to other keys, I suggest you learn how the major scale is constructed.
I guess I'll explained how they are formed...

The major scale is constructed using a series of half steps and whole steps, also known as semitones and tones. A half step/semitone is one fret on your guitar. A whole step/tone is two frets one your guitar.

The pattern of half steps and whole steps in the major scale is.

Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-Whole-Whole-Half

Let's start with C major. The notes in it are C D E F G A B and back to C.

C to D is a whole step. Take the note C and go up two frets. There's your D!
D to E is also a whole step. Two frets up from D is E.
E to F is a half step. It takes one fret to get from E to F.
F to G is a whole step. Once again, two frets apart.
G to A is a whole step. Up two frets from G is A.
A to B is a whole step. No explanation needed
B to C (the root note) is a half step. Once again, you know that C is one fret down from B.

You can apply this to any other major key!

F G A Bb C D E F. It's F major! Notice the order of tones and semitones.

In scales, you should use one of each letter, not more. This is how we have flat and sharp keys.

If we used sharps to form F major, we would end up with this:

F G A A# C D E F

Notice how the letter A is used twice. We don't want that. We want this:

F G A Bb C D E F

Likewise with sharp keys. G major is:

G A B C D E F# G

If we wrote it using flats, we'd get:

G A B C D E Gb G.

-KR
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Jul 31, 2006,
I don't understand the root notes... can anyone help?
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
THanks guys for your help im well on my way to nailing playin these scales,

ATLBraves is the Epi SG Special any good cos im thinkin of gettin an Epi G400 SG as my secong guitar its slightly dearer than your but i have heard good things bout it
Quote by ATLBraves2014
I don't understand the root notes... can anyone help?

What is it about the root notes you don't understand? You don't understand what a root note is, or you don't understand how you move the scale shape around to change the key?
I just don't understand what root notes are. And I love my SG special... I'm not going to act like I know a lot about guitars(as you can see I dont even know what a root note is) but what I do know is that my SG plays really nice and I do recommend them. The G400s have 2 volume and 2 tone knobs too don't they... that's the only drawback of mine(it has 1 of each).
My Rig:
Vox AD30VT
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
Quote by ATLBraves2014
I just don't understand what root notes are.

A root note is the note that, in this case the scale is centered upon. The note that is aurally perceived as the tonal center of the scale.

Take the Cmajor scale...

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C.

The root note of the Cmajor scale is C.

Dmajor scale...

D - E - F# - G - A - B - C# - D

The root note of the Dmajor scale is D.

Do you understand?
Yeah thanks
My Rig:
Vox AD30VT