Poll Options
View poll results: Ska or Emo?
Ska
193 79%
Emo
50 21%
Voters: 243.
Page 1 of 2
The two genres are are almost complete polar opposites of one another. Ska is energetic, fun music that provokes people to get up and skank. Emo is generally sad, emotionally depressing music with deep lyrics that really affect peoples inner feelings.

So anyway...

In your opinion, which genre is better?
"The Force will be with you, always."
I'm just curious here...what kind of response are you expecting to get on this one...like really now..
ska is good.

emo is bad.

comprende?
I love neapolitan ice cream, but I HATE VANILA AND STRAWBERRY!

Tremulous Name:
Aaron-[UVache]
I love both of 'em. Ska is great fun to et up and skank to, and emo is good to listen to when your sad because it helps you get ur emotions out. I have to vote emo though because no one else is.
*Reported*

(1) No vs. threads.

(2) Emo bashing is really boring. And ska is just punk with horns.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by dsotm_alex
I'm just curious here...what kind of response are you expecting to get on this one...like really now..

Well obviously I assume theres going to be a lot of emo bashing but more than anything I want peoples opinion on ska. Think of it this way, there's been an influx of emo bands on Warped Tour this summer and this year there is only one ska band (Less Than Jake). Why is this? Why is emo more popular than ska?
I listen to emo stuff more than ska, I don't know why I don't like ska, but to me it doesn't really make me want to listen to more. It's ok, but I prefer emo music....

*runs away*

Quote by dont abandon me
Well obviously I assume theres going to be a lot of emo bashing but more than anything I want peoples opinion on ska. Think of it this way, there's been an influx of emo bands on Warped Tour this summer and this year there is only one ska band (Less Than Jake). Why is this? Why is emo more popular than ska?

The bands are the warped tour, as far as I know, are pop punk. Emo would be bands like Sunny Day Real Estate, Bright Eyes, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional. They sound nothing like the bands on the Warped tour.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
Last edited by Cpt.Jackass at Jul 31, 2006,
Quote by FenderJTx
I hate both. I'll go with ska though.

Same for me. Madness isn't that bad.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
emo isn't supposed to be neccisarily depressing music, and like a lot of people think it's not supposed to be slow or acoustic music. Theres some articles on UG that describe the history of emo. I just said that cause i think a some one said emo music was only depressing music. It's supposed to be aggresive. All the "emo" bands today are the same deal as people calling all these pop bands punk. Sorry for the long thing...thought it would be short. And i do like ska better.
Quote by Dirk Gently

And ska is just punk with horns.

God I hate it when people say that. Stop being ignorant.
Quote by Dirk Gently
ska is just punk with horns.

and upstrokes
Well, first off - what kind of a dumbass question is this? It's like asking, "Would you rather, A - eat a man's ass hair, or B - screw some hot chick?" - Because of this I aren't even going to say my answer in this post, as it goes without saying.

And also, bands like MCR etc. get called emo and not pop-punk, as if they were labelled pop-punk, they would be in the same category as bands like Millencolin; and that's just unfair on good pop-punk bands. G. Way is a whiney bitch.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by seannufan
God I hate it when people say that. Stop being ignorant.

Oh yeah, I'm sorry...the ska movement started independently of the punk movement and has a lot of subtle nuances that differentiate it from the punk genre...

Like I said: punk with horns. And upstrokes, apparently.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by dont abandon me

Because it's a bunch of trendy ****, thats why.
Both are pretty lame to be honest, but ska is the lesser of the evils here.
Quote by dsotm_alex
Because it's a bunch of trendy ****, thats why.

yep trendy i mean ska and punk was on the original tony hawks proskater game and that was in the 90s for then it was huge but emo has just taken the spot light you can walk into just about any school, mall, etc. and ask anyone between the ages of 13-30 have they heard of ska, emo and most of the ppl will respond with emo because its the trend a decade ago or earlier it would be viceversa
Quote by Dirk Gently
*Reported*

(1) No vs. threads.

Punk with horns ? Listen to Desmond Dekker or Toots and the Maytals and then say that.
There is poetry in despair.
Ska ****ing rules.

And I hate to disagree with you Dirk, but I am.

And ska can be more jazzy, bluesy, not necessarily always punk. Only the mainstream ska bands can be linked to punk, IMO.
Quote by SuperAnalytical
Ska ****ing rules.

And I hate to disagree with you Dirk, but I am.

And ska can be more jazzy, bluesy, not necessarily always punk. Only the mainstream ska bands can be linked to punk, IMO.

Exactly. When I listen to the Skatalites I don't really see punk at all.

And sorry, but I just really don't like emo. I don't instantly hate it because of all the gay mainstream bands, but I've known people who are into it and listened to some of their stuff and I just don't like it.

Happy music is much healthier for you, and if you want a dose of depressing music there are much better places to look.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Oh yeah, I'm sorry...the ska movement started independently of the punk movement and has a lot of subtle nuances that differentiate it from the punk genre...

Like I said: punk with horns. And upstrokes, apparently.

Educate yourself on the subject before you begin creating facts. Ska can be dated as far back as the 30's, before punk even existed. The differences between punk and ska are more than subtle, they are two different genres of music. You seem to just be thinking of the third wave of ska that fused itself with punk in the late eighties/early ninties.
Quote by Dirk Gently

lol thats true buts its a better version of punk
SKA WILL NEVER DIE! Ska for sure.
"Don't misinterpret what I'm about to say as something bad, but if you can't play six strings, why do you have seven?" - Dimebag Darrell.

I'm in the 8% of teenagers that likes real music club
pm *rocknrollqueen or Johnsonville to join.
Page 1 of 2