Page 1 of 2
our band is gona be playin many shows after the summer and i need to get a bigger amp, i dont have much money and i wana get the peavey supreme cabinet

http://peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116431/number/00583040/cat/66/begin/1/Supreme%3F+XL+412+Slant.cfm

theres a link to it, the thing is i dont have enough money to afford a head so i was wonderin if i can use my marshall amp, its a mg15cdr as a temporary one, it has a line out jack so will this be able to work? and will it be any good?
I don't ask for much
Truth be told I'll settle for
A life less frightening, a life less frightening
i'd bet a crisp $20 bill it won't be loud enough, if you're going to be running thru a PA w/out the drums mic'ed you might be able ot pull it off
no, the marshall isnt strong enough to really push that cab. at all.

edit; i just tried my 15dfx on one of my cabs and it didnt work at all.
Originally posted by Mad Marius
You've broken a low E string??? What style do you play, guitar raping noise core?
Last edited by Masknought at Jul 31, 2006,
at practices, i just play through the marshall alone but with the drums not being miced, and it stands out with the drums pretty well, but would the cab like increase the volume at all?
I don't ask for much
The MG15CDR doesn't have a speaker out on it, you can't run a cab off of it. As previously mentioned, it wont work at all. The line out jack is a very weak signal that needs to be amplified.
alright, whats the cheapest but ok head u can get?
I don't ask for much
Don't get a ub3r kewl halfstack!!!1!!!1111ELEVEN!11!! at all, get a Cube 60 or something. Perfectly giggable, costs as much as that cab and it's 53464784564869x better than that MG.
These go to eleven...
whats wrong with them. Dnt play with them myself but there good for the money
marshall cabs and heads cost way too much, the peaveys are half the price
I don't ask for much
Last edited by Pandrew947 at Jul 31, 2006,
Quote by swash
whats wrong with them. Dnt play with them myself but there good for the money
No, they aren't actually. For that price, you can get a Cube, or a Valvetronix. Stop reccomending ****e to everyone. Especially if you've never actually tried it.
These go to eleven...
guy in ma band has one. i had a combo version aswell. though they were quite cheap for heads these days. Obviously im wrong
Get a cube or a tube combo
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
Quote by Pennywise1800
get a peavery valve king

the valve king looks cool but the head is more than the supreme xl one
I don't ask for much
Get a loan from your parents or get a job quick. Get a Peavey 5150 or 6505...but that would be expensive.
Save your money and go with a tube combo or something. You could use your Marshall MG on that 4x12 cabinet. But it's a waste of your money for one to get a 4x12 cabinet,and its especially a waste of your money to get a cheap mediocre one.

Okay I'm gonna guess that at band practice you are playing without a P.A. So your guitar is going just through the amp is really loud. When you go play a gig most likely the venue has a P.A. and you mic up your guitar amp. Doing that iwth a big half stack causes problems cause with something like a 100watt amp the amp sounds the best when its cranked up, and at most venues your gonna need it relatively quiet before it gets miced.
ugh...ok. No the MG wont work to power a cab. NO you dont need a halfstack. YES a 15watt SS amp can easily power a cab (that little Marshall MG stack thing ya know. I have that at work and I hooked it up to a cab and it actually got quite loud). THe Peavey XXL sucks...horribly. The ValveKing is awesome.

GOOD SS combo or if you can swing it then get a GOOD TUBE COMBO.
The "Line Out" is a line level signal, it's not used to drive speakers. You need to disconnect the speaker, and use that connection to drive the cab.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
i need somethin cheap, lol, i'll get a better head when i get the money, just id prefer cabs over amps cuz you can use diff combos of heads and cabs and stuff
I don't ask for much
Just go for a combo. Either the Cube 60 or the Vox AD50VT. They will be plenty loud enough and will sound a lot better than an MG. You could always hook either of these up to a cabinet later if you wanted to.
Vox AD50 is best bet for cheap amp that sounds good. Combos are the way to go. I use a combo, but i disconected the speaker to hook up my orange cab. Sounds alot more punchier, crunchier and bassier. So basically eather get a sweet tube combo or the AD50, you can always get a cab later. and don't settle for a crappy cab. Get an orange. You can get a 2-12 for like 450 if you work it right. there is no real reason to get anything bigger. It just takes up space, is heavy and makes you louder thus causing you to turn it down and then causing you to loose tone.
Rig: Gibson Les Paul Studio into Ibenez Tubescreamer to Boss DD-20 to a Gibson GA-20RVT runned of an Orange 2x12. Soon getting a Vox AC-15 into an orange 2x12 for the chimy clean.
Quote by Pandrew947
i need somethin cheap, lol, i'll get a better head when i get the money, just id prefer cabs over amps cuz you can use diff combos of heads and cabs and stuff

Cheap Tube Head

Just turn it all the way up .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by mattyyy
It will sound a lot better than that MG, too.

Not with the XXL cab.

My friend has one, and every amp we played through it sounded exactly the same.

a XXX, a XXL, and a TSL100. No difference whatsoever.
Don't get any kind of half stack, or you'll get AIDS.

Buy a decent combo (like a Cube or cheapish valve amp) and you're set.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Are you listening to any of the help anyone is giving you? A Roland Cube or Vox AD50VT COMBO would be much better than any cheap solid state half stack.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
if you find something on musicians friend, its going to be at guitar center or available for guitar center to order. At guitar center you can haggle down prices, MF you cant. Thus instead of buying it off the internet, go to a local guitar shop and haggle!!!
Rig: Gibson Les Paul Studio into Ibenez Tubescreamer to Boss DD-20 to a Gibson GA-20RVT runned of an Orange 2x12. Soon getting a Vox AC-15 into an orange 2x12 for the chimy clean.
If you're really that set on getting a half stack, doesn't Crate have some little portable head? That would probably be cheap. I AM IN NO WAY SAYING IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO GET THIS PRODUCT. I have never tried it, thus don't know at all what it's like. It's probably pretty low-quality, I'm just trying to give you options.
Quote by morningdove2
If you're really that set on getting a half stack, doesn't Crate have some little portable head? That would probably be cheap. I AM IN NO WAY SAYING IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO GET THIS PRODUCT. I have never tried it, thus don't know at all what it's like. It's probably pretty low-quality, I'm just trying to give you options.

Thats the crate powerblock.

Thats a no no.

ROLAND CUBE 60!
Quote by Pandrew947
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-GT1200HG412SL-Half-Stack?sku=487796&c_tid=topseller

is it safe to buy stuff off of musicians friend? cuz i found that and it looks like a sick deal

See this is where you're going wrong, amps amplify sound and the most important thing when choosing one is the sound. Voxes and Cubes sound "sick" and isn't that more important to you????? The Crate may sound good I don't know I've never heard one, could you tell me how good they sound? And don't feed me that versatility crap either, a crap sounding head will sound crap thru any cab and a crap cabinet will make even the best amps sound pretty average. Nobody here at all has advised you to get a half stack, infact it's the exact opposite you reckon there might just be a good reason for that? In the end it's your money but you can bet a hell of a lot of people in here have made the same mistake that you're about to make, save yourself some dollars and learn from their mistakes

I needed that!!!! lol
Page 1 of 2