Page 1 of 2
Have any of you guys thought about the future?

I was watching an old episode of Star Trek on G4 the other day, and they were talking about old technology on the show. The actual reference was to technology from the 1990's. Now that got me to thinking, if they thought we would have the technology in the 1990's, back in the 60's, to travel into space, then how far off are we about the next century?

What if some of our predictions are totally wrong. Like they used to say in the 50's that by 2000 we would have flying cars that were mass produced and everyone would have one. But we dont. The difference between cars and planes is so unreal, that I dont know if we ever will. At least not in mine or my kids lives.

Which brings me to my next query. Why cant we go into space further then the little area between the Earth and the moon? We have the technology to do soo many amazing things, yet we can hardly get to our own moon.

So where do you guys think we will be in 10, 20 even 50 or 100 years? I sure hope it still isnt sitting at auto conventions talking about where the future will be in 50 years and then it not happening.
i read in a newpaper we won't be that much different and i agree, cuz like what are you expecting? no disease? that'll never happen. People can regrow limbs if they lose them? we can do that now, it's just not legal
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by !@#$
who's to say we'll be around in 10 years? <looks side to side>

The apocalypse is coming in six years, actually
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Which brings me to my next query. Why cant we go into space further then the little area between the Earth and the moon? We have the technology to do soo many amazing things, yet we can hardly get to our own moon.

the problem is financial, not technological
Quote by mr. cool
popapez fucking knows every thing from how to touch a girl right to how to speak spanish
Quote by Smokey Amp
Popapez can shred0rz the acoustic guitar
Quote by search49
In the Pit, generally only the things that popapez said were worthwhile. You're a goddess, darling.
i'm just waiting for my hover board
originally posted by Shoestick
Holy hell, that is the primest example of a rambling idiot trying to sound intelligent Ive ever seen, and I just sat through four years of Bush!
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Well because the next rock from the moon is Mars, and its distance makes provisioning a manned mission incredibly difficult. Of course, we've sent unmanned spacecraft for a close-up of Jupiter, but those missions take many years.

I suppose manned missions will be more attainable if Hawking's theory of the correlation between time and space were shown to be correct: as speed increases, time slows down, in a nutshell. Just watch the original Planet of the Apes if you questions.
Discolored skin gives me away.
Quote by LuthierofTexas

I was watching an old episode of Star Trek on G4 the other day, and they were talking about old technology on the show. The actual reference was to technology from the 1990's. Now that got me to thinking, if they thought we would have the technology in the 1990's, back in the 60's, to travel into space, then how far off are we about the next century?

What if some of our predictions are totally wrong. Like they used to say in the 50's that by 2000 we would have flying cars that were mass produced and everyone would have one. But we dont. The difference between cars and planes is so unreal, that I dont know if we ever will. At least not in mine or my kids lives.

So where do you guys think we will be in 10, 20 even 50 or 100 years? I sure hope it still isnt sitting at auto conventions talking about where the future will be in 50 years and then it not happening.

10 years? we'll finally be getting our heads out of our asses and finding other energy sources besides oil.

20 years we will be almost entirely depleeted of oil, and large computers (such as the one i'm on now) will slowly become more and more obsolete due to the fact that smaller and smaller computers are being invented each day.

50 years we will have developed a more advanced space program that will make slightly further space travel more capable, possibly due to more funding.(with humans, of course.)

100 years our generation will be dead.
well back in the sixties we were focusing on competing with the soviets, and part of that was the space race. so you we had all kinds of science fiction about space travel all through the sixties and seventies. now there's not so much focus on space, it's more on information and computers and such, so we have movies like minority report that focus more on information and computer technology.

also back then we had a very sudden increase in technology and got carried away with what the future would bring, now we're wiser and a lot of the time science fiction portrays the future as being more similar to the world as it is now.
See, not to bash and I dont want you to take this the wrong way. But this is the reason we are technologically behind as a nation (USA) and as the human race. Theres too much argueing. The young people of the world are too consumed with why instead of how. I know we have come a long way from 1900. But its like now, to the young kids (me included, until now) dont really think that the future lies in our hands. We have our heads so far into TV and video games that we think it dont matter. But the scientists of today are only setting outlines of what we need to do when its our turn to set our marks. But we piss it away as if it dont matter.

I want to say thank you to you guys. I am enrolling in college soon because I dont want to build guitars for the rest of my life and leave nothing for the future generations to REALLY look back on and say hey, that guy set our way of life 200 years ago and we still live by his mind today. See, I was thinking about computer science and programming or astrophysics. But I know now from talking about this with actual youth of the world that astrophysics will be the only way that I can set a mark on the world and have it still thought about 200 years from now.
Quote by Soma3009
The apocalypse is coming in six years, actually

Do you know George Bush?
Pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
wouldn't that kill us?

I don't get what your trying to say.

They wouldn't test a device who's sole purpose was to explod and destroy the world...

We've already made bombs that act on fusion principles, but this is using nuclear fusion as an energy source.
Check out my latest recording on my profile
In 12 years, someone will invent a quantum reactor. Sadly, in the process they'll destroy our solar system and possibly a few neighbouring stars.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
A nuclear fusion reactor wouldnt kill us. Being called the artificial sunis only talking about heat and intesnity. The sun holds gravity, given its size. A small nuclear fusion reactor wouldnt destroy the Earth. If the didnt perfect it we will see another Hiroshima. But with its size it wouldnt destroy the world. But if this works, it will revolutionize our world, our future, ourlimits would be reduced exponentially. We could create enough energy to use ionic propulsion to get to other planets without the use of combustable chemical rockets. Now all we need is some sort of suspended animation to prolong human life for such an extended amount of time. Or to actually prove the existence of wormholes. Quantumphysics will greatly benefit from this experiment if it works. And even if it doesnt, it will give us enough of a knowledge that another working prototype wont be far behind. Our future is beginning already. Can anyone say "Beam me up, Scotty"?
what do you mean we only travel in the space between earth and the moon? we're on our way to friggin pluto

and if you really want to know, i'll mail you my time machine
you told him to try to build bricks without straw
he asked you to build cities without bricks
There is little doubt that we could invent all this new technology for mass production of energy and further exploration into space. The question is though, should we? Whilst all of you are busy thinking about what could happen, you do not take the time to consider the impact that it will have. In 50 years, many thousands of living species will have become extinct with many more thousands on a critical list as a direct result of science. Earth has been unable to cope with what humans have being doing since the Chinese invented fireworks and has been slowly falling apart. Now science is just starting to fathom the huge damage it has reaped upon the planet, do we really want them to continue?
science isn't going to stop. The least we could do is raise our standards of living and maybe prepare ourselves for moving our species to different planets. Science is actually the thing that's going to save our planet. You know all those crazy environmentalists bitching about how we're fucking over the planet? They're not just pulling it out of their ass you know.
Quote by LuthierofTexas

Have I ever thought about the future!? Brother, the future is all I think about. I am constantly reading everything and anything I can find about the future. Where do you think the future of evolution is headed? There is stilll 90% of our brains going unused. I am fascinated by these topics. Personally, I believe in mankind. I think we are going to be making technological advancements 2-4x the rate we are now within this next century. I am also a firm believer in time travel. There are many avenues we will be going down. I can't wait for the future.
The times they are a changin'.....
Quote by Italy's Finest
There is stilll 90% of our brains going unused.

urban myth
^ Urban myth??? My friend thats a scientific fact. And its actually only about 6% of our brains that we use. Science will be what saves us all. In 1 million years when our planet can no longer support life we will turn to science and technology to find a new home for the human race. Think of Mars. Mars once sustained life. We have found traces of water, and we know it has had access to the sun. Those 2 are the basis of being able to sustain life. Do you really think that in ALL of space and the galaxies out there that we are all there is? Other planets can support life we just havent found them. And one day we will. If the Chinese nuclear fusion reactor works, we will begin to advance in leaps and bounds. I know that I will never live to see space travel like the Star Trek shows, but maybe I'll live long enough to see a craft that can leave our galaxy and return safely. Just imagine what our lives will be like if the Chinese produce that reactor. Colonies on other planets.

And yes I believe in time travel too. Only because it has been proven to be a reality. We would have to be able to send a person beyond the speed of light, but beyond that speed time actually slows down for the traveler. It DOES exist.

The next hundred years will show great things in the advancement of the human race, you can bet on that.
We're already far more technologically advanced than many people think. For instance, the military has been working on jetpacks for decades now, and we have a few prototypes developed. The problem? Practicality. Because all of the designs are fueled by chemical fuel sources, the pilot would be forced to lug around this huge tank of fuel on his back all the time, and the amount of fuel that an average soldier would be able to carry would only power his jetpack for about 20 seconds. I don't know wether or not this information is reliable, but I read somewhere (don't remember where, sorry) that some scientists teleported an apple 6 feet across a room, but that seems pretty shaky to me. There are 6-cylinder gasoline engines that can get 75mpg, but the oil companies are actually paying the producers of these engines to keep them off the market. Technological development is going faster than ever in the realm of computing, with bigger and better products being developed daily. But time travel? As cool as that would be, its never going to happen, but for all you time travel crazies out there, heres a link for you: http://www.timetravelfund.com/ <--if that really works, you can time travel yourself to my house and kick me in the nuts sometime, ok?

Edit:
Quote by LuthierofTexas
And yes I believe in time travel too. Only because it has been proven to be a reality. We would have to be able to send a person beyond the speed of light, but beyond that speed time actually slows down for the traveler. It DOES exist.

^^dude, all that speed of light and time slowing down stuff is all theoretical, nobody has proved jack diddly, travelling at the speed of light is conceivable, but try and wrap your brain around the concept of time travel for a minute - lets just say that time really does slow down when you go the speed of light, does it slow down for just the specific individual travelling at that speed? or for the entire planet? it would have to be the former because light travels at the speed of light all the time, so does that mean that in reality time is going slower than it would be without the presence of light? and even if time did slow down for that one specific person, the only real purpose i can think of would be to prevent that person from aging, but travelling at the speed of light might have negative effets on the human body, making the slowing of time for that person totally redundant, and if time did slow down, you couldn't really travel through time - meaning that you would still be within the realm of time, it would just be passing more slowly, you couldnt go visit betsy ross or the jetsons or anything cool like that - and in reality, time does not exist, what we call "time" is only a conception of the human mind, developed as a refrence to mark the passing of events <-- think about that one for a minute and let me know if you want to hear more
Last edited by brandonian at Jul 31, 2006,
Quote by LuthierofTexas

The next hundred years will show great things in the advancement of the human race, you can bet on that.

You can also bet that we are goin to die.

Oh I saw this cool program once that showed that marine animals like squid and octopuerrrrrrr, would eventually evolve into the smartest animals on earth, around the year 3000.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
^ Urban myth??? My friend thats a scientific fact. And its actually only about 6% of our brains that we use.

prove it
But we have already started using Ionic propulsion, which uses 10X less fuel the chemical rockets. They eve excelerate 10X faster then chemical rockets. Chemical rockets reach speeds of around 7,700 mph, where as ionic propulsion reaches speeds of about 77,000 mph. And thats on 1 ionic thruster thats about the size of a typical jet aircraft engine. But the only problem is it takes more energy then we know how to provide. But with the nuclear fusion reactor, we could easily power an Ionic engine with enough power to run us into some other galaxy. At about 4,000 mph it takes us 4 days to reach the moon. At 77,000 mph we could reach it in about a day, which would open us up to going to other planets and eventually other solar systems.

Teleporting is a little shaky to me too, but I do think its possible, one day. I dont think, as a human race, we could handle something of that magnitude now. But in the future it will be no more uncommon then us, now, sending an email or a fax. They told us at one point in the 60's that computers wouldn't be practical for everyday, civilian use and anyone who asked about it got looked at as if they were stupid. But now if you say you dont have a computer in your home you get looked at as if you were stupid. So, it will happen one day.

But I dont believe in God. I believe in what I can see and what can be scientifically proven to me to be real. So Im not too worried about the apocolypse and the 4 hoursemen blaring their trumpets. I think we will all be a little suprised when we die.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
But I dont believe in God. I believe in what I can see and what can be scientifically proven to me to be real. So Im not too worried about the apocolypse and the 4 hoursemen blaring their trumpets. I think we will all be a little suprised when we die.

i disagree with that statement - so i'm going to give you a thought - if the encyclopedia britannica was suddenly sent to us from outer space, people would swear that it was intelligent life, however, DNA patterns and coding and whatnot are evident to us in nature, and DNA is far more organized and complicated than any encyclopedia, yet we regard it as a totally random natural phenomenom, human ignorance? i believe so
True: DNA is more complex than an encyclopedia, which is why you won't find too much scientific detail about it in one.

That doesn't mean science hasn't found logical understanding of DNA.
Quote by ANGERisaGIFT
True: DNA is more complex than an encyclopedia, which is why you won't find too much scientific detail about it in one.

That doesn't mean science hasn't found logical understanding of DNA.

no, but science does know how to "read" DNA, and DNA does not contain information concerning itself, nor any other 'scientific' data, however, the complexity and organization of it contains information about life that we can't even begin to comprehend, i'll take the building blocks for all life on earth over a book containing a record of the scientific data that we as humans have gathered any day thank you very much
Quote by LuthierofTexas
^ Urban myth??? My friend thats a scientific fact. And its actually only about 6% of our brains that we use.

AT A TIME! 100% of your brain is not functioning all the time, but all of it does function.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by brandonian
i disagree with that statement - so i'm going to give you a thought - if the encyclopedia britannica was suddenly sent to us from outer space, people would swear that it was intelligent life, however, DNA patterns and coding and whatnot are evident to us in nature, and DNA is far more organized and complicated than any encyclopedia, yet we regard it as a totally random natural phenomenom, human ignorance? i believe so

So how can you prove that God does exist? Theres no proof of heaven or hell, other then a book. You cant say with absolute certainty that God does exist, just like I cant say that God doesnt. I mearly said that I dont believe in God becayse he hasnt been proven to exist by anyone other then "believers". No one said anything about DNA. But if you believe in God then you cant believe in evolution which is going against God, and evolution has been proven time and time again.
But while discrediting science for not knowing all of the secrets of DNA, since it's not something that can be readily explained, you are also discrediting religion.

I'm not trying to start a religious argument here... I actually have no idea why the hell religion was even brought up, it has no relevance.
Page 1 of 2