Ok, so my question is can a Fender Hot Rod plugged into an Ibanez Tube Screamer (or other overdrive pedal, reccomend one please) give me a good high gain metal sound? If not, can you guys reccomend a tube amp or amp and pedal combo that can give me a good metal sound for around $600-$700 USD? Thanks in advance
Last edited by thetoastinator at Jul 31, 2006,
A TS into a high gain tube amp will give you a good metal sound.
Read my post. Not this.
lol you can get that all for 100 dollars Line6 Tonecore uber metal, it has sound gates, scoop, mid, bass, treble, drive and has 3 different type of distortions, its probally the best heavy metal/hardcore and screamo pedal out...
Actually make that about 5 tubescreamers before you get to metal in a Hotrod.

Line6 makes some pretty awful sound products, the uber metal is no exception.

A used Mesa f-50 can get some pretty decent metal tones, or the f-30 is you can't find a 50. The Valveking is also in that price range, but i find the higher gain sounds are rather muddy, and the amp has had reported reliabilty issues.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
you can get metal in a hotrod with some OD's, idk about a tube screamer (probably because the only time ive tried a tube screamer thru a hot rod was with a tele) but i have a hot rod deville and it can get borderline metal with a pedal.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by eddiesclone
lol you can get that all for 100 dollars Line6 Tonecore uber metal, it has sound gates, scoop, mid, bass, treble, drive and has 3 different type of distortions, its probally the best heavy metal/hardcore and screamo pedal out...

First of all, I have a Spider II, and its not the best, but Ive played that pedal at the store, and it was worse. I would rather spend some cash and get decent gear and get away from line 6. Anyway, I may be going to Guitar Center tomorow (big deal for me because the closest one is 100 miles away). I dont have enough money to buy anything, but can someone reccomend me some tube amps to play while Im there that can give me a good metal sound? Im fairly new to tube amps, and Im not too sure what brands GC will sell there.
valve kings are pretty good. they get all kidsn of tones but if you use pedals get teh fender hot rod or a used twin amp or seomthing
Quote by metalmiliita56
tagged im also in need of a tube amp at the 600$-700$

is a peavy valveking good

The VK is damn good.

But for 600-700 bucks I suggest the Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube. 20watts, all tube. EL84 power section. 12" Eminence RockDriver Cream speaker. This amp goes from crystal clear cleans, to ANY kind of crunch, to really high gain madness...even without an OD pedal. Its one of my favorite amps of all time.
i doubt it....fender hot rod doesnt really have much gain itself(a nice crunch tho) and an overdrive pedal drives it a bit further but not enough for metal or even old metal. Maybe hard rock but thats about it. Still a very good amp tho.
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
No chance, the Tubescreamer will do classic rock by itself, that's about it, unless you throw another overdrive infront of the amp.

The Hot Rod isn't made for doing metal, nor will it sound great for metal, so look for another amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30