I absolutley LOVE playing guitar but I'm completely ignorant when it comes to effects and pedals. Now I'm too poor to even consider buying one, without even considering which one it is i could buy. But I've heard of people making them and I was wondering how and if any one could show me some scematics and explain it a bit.

Thanks!
Member of the No-Testicles Club! PM gangster-dolly to join!
(\__/) ((_))
(='.'=) o(>.<o
(")_(") ~((_))~ ....The bunny is winning....
o o
Stickies

Maybe a fuzz or booster may be in order? How does that sound to you?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
good what next?
(\__/) ((_))
(='.'=) o(>.<o
o o
Look through the links in the stickies, just reading is really the best idea. There are some good fuzzes and boosters in those sites. I personally suggest a fuzz face, easy drive, or simple booster.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
what is the sound from each? Personally i want to try fuzz just because I like the word "fuzz"...
(\__/) ((_))
(='.'=) o(>.<o
o o
really? crap than i'd probably be better buying one... can you suggest a good pedal from blues guitar? a site called guitargadget (can't remember the rest) anyway and it had a nice Blue Magic overdrive pedal i liked...something like that?
(\__/) ((_))
(='.'=) o(>.<o
o o
BTW I do already own a sodering iron...
(\__/) ((_))
(='.'=) o(>.<o
o o
The Blue Magic does look nice. It may be hard for you though. The BluesBreaker is awsome too, but not for a first build if you dont have any experience, and by what you said about being "ignorant" with pedals, it wouldnt be good. Especially since you dont even know what a fuzz is...
hmmmm, i already have those tools, and would love to take a shot at making a pedal, anyone got links?
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
haha ok
(\__/) ((_))
(='.'=) o(>.<o
o o
i would recommend going to the library, they probably have a book on it there (seriously they probably would) a friend of mine used to make his own pedals and amps from a DIY book he got and would come extremely close to high end products for about 1/4th the MSRP
so does anybody have links to this stuff? libraries suck
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
well, when starting out i found those stickies to be a bit confusing for a while, but there is definatly some good stuff there. here is a good spot to start with, its a nice page for beginners. i built the bazz fuss, which is a simple fuzz pedal that sounds pretty good and is easy. it probably cost me around $55 for everthing i needed, but that included a lot of stuff i wont have to buy again soon, like soldering iron, wire, solder, and the like. i suggest you get a breadboard to start out with because it makes things so much easier when you can move stuff around and make sure it works correctly before soldering.

if you want clips of what that fuzz sounds like you can find a song called fuzz test in my dmusic in my sig. just know i used a couple 'wrong' parts, and also using different diodes can decrease the ammount of gain the pedal produces.
search
(\__/) ((_))
(='.'=) o(>.<o
o o
http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html D: My first build!

It sounds REALLY cool! But I suggest you socket the capacaters. (So you can swap em out. There kinda funny...)

Though if you have a drill, wire cutters, and a pair of needle nose pliers. A soldering iron is like $10-20! And if you REALLY wana do it right the first time, a soldering stand. (Called "Helping Hands" you can get em at Radioshack for $15 bucks. There alligator clips on some movable proppable arms on a soldering iron stand. They even have a magnifying glass on em! )
Last edited by Fast_Bear at Jul 31, 2006,
Alright I'm thinking that maybe when school starts up agin i'll ask my science teacher to help me out... but i really want to start now...
(\__/) ((_))
(='.'=) o(>.<o
o o
Quote by RoughDraft
Alright I'm thinking that maybe when school starts up agin i'll ask my science teacher to help me out... but i really want to start now...

Go for it! You won't regret it.

If you can read and follow a diagram you can make a pedal. The problems come afterwards when trouble shooting (if it doesn't work first time) but there are plenty of people to guide you through it. I'd reccomend the Orman overdrive pro: http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=20 it's an absolutely superb pedal that (is said to be) the inspiration for the fulltone distortion pro. They do PCBs for $14 and have the layout pre-determined so all you have to do is place the components in the right place, great starter project IMO.

Good luck.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details