I bought strings twice from the same guitar shop. I asked for medium guage strings twice. But they gave me light strings instead....twice, by two different clerks.

The brand is D'addario acoustic Guitar Strings. EJ16 Phospor Bronze "Light".

1st - .012 INCHES. ........... 23.3 Lbs. Tension
2nd - 0.016 ....... 23.3
3rd - 0.024 ........ 30.2
4th - .032 ......... 30.5
5th - 0.042 ........ 29.9
6th - 0.053 ......... 26.0

Why do they keep giving me Light strings when I ask for medium ? Are light strings better for beginners ?
Last edited by Reez at Jul 31, 2006,
Wait... you asked for mediums and got a light pack in your hands and didnt say anything and walked away with the lights ? >.<

Lighter gauge : better playability, but less good tone.

Heavier gauge : less good playability, but better tone.
I always buy light strings.
Think they give a better sound and also easier to play with.
Specialy for acoustic.
Quote by qcMan
Wait... you asked for mediums and got a light pack in your hands and didnt say anything and walked away with the lights ? >.<

What do you find that it gives better tone.
Think you get more "metallic" not as heavy metal sound.
Next time you go in the shop ask them for "13s" and if they don't understand that, then just dont buy them. You don't have to buy what they hand you if its not what you want..
d'addarrios have heavy, light, and extra light. so when u ask for medium u are essentially askin for lights
Yeah the first time I bought them the dude said something about... ahhh I don't know wtf he was talking about and I forgot. So I didn't ask the next time.

But I guess what he ment was...What rocketsauce said; if I do get Light Dadarrio strings their pretty much medium.
Quote by qcMan

Sorry mate but that's not good advice.

String guage, as with anything, is in the eye (or the ear) of the beholder. There's no element of truth that heavier strings will give better 'tone' than lighter ones. It's all about individual taste and how different strings sound and are suited to different guitars.

For instance; Go to the 'Martin & Co' website and browse through all their guitars, all the different woods and body shapes and you'll see that 'Martin' recommend different type guages dependent on each individual guitar. Some guitars are supposed to have a particular 'feel' or 'tone'. Or at least they are built to accomodate a better tone when using such strings.

To the threadstarter I'd say this; Why would you accept 'light' strings after asking for medium ones? That's like standing at the bar and asking for a bottle of Becks and getting a Bud. Or asking for a Cheeseburger and getting a BigMac.

Take the strings back and ask them to exchange them for the ones you really want.

Also, I presume you live in the states or at least not in the UK. (Based on your use of the word 'clerk') But over here it works out a lot cheaper (once you know the strings you are likely to stick with) to buy in bulk. That is to buy 10 or 20 sets of the same strings, usually by mail order via the internet or similar. I don't know if they do that sort of thing outside of the UK but if they do its well worth considering.
Quote by Reez
Yeah the first time I bought them the dude said something about... ahhh I don't know wtf he was talking about and I forgot. So I didn't ask the next time.

But I guess what he ment was...What rocketsauce said; if I do get Light Dadarrio strings their pretty much medium.

I don't buy that either.

I can see where rocketsauce is going, but essentially when talking about acoustic strings it's 12's for 'light' and 13's for 'medium'.
Yeah, and different companies have different labels for these thigns... one company's "Light" is another's "Medium." Don't ask for the descriptor... ask for the gauge.

And it is wrong to think that bigger strings equal better tone. It depends on the guitar, the setup, and everything else. Big strings on a Gibson LP sound strange, whilst big strings on a Strat with a tube amp turned up to 5 or 6 sound like GOD.
Looking for my India/Django.
I can't wait until I get my credit card... I turn 18 in a few months. Do all my shopping online.

Next time I purchase from that store I'm going to ask why they give me Light when I ask for medium. I am new to this guitar thing so even if I do ask they can easily lie to me and I wouldn't be able to say anything cause I know nothing. But it would be weird why they would purposely give me the wrong product...

Anyways it doesn't matter that much strings are cheap and if I had medium strings my fingers would hurt more than it is now.

Edit.. I just read redwing's reply and I guess D'addario Medium strings would be labeled Light...
Quote by Reez
Edit.. I just read redwing's reply and I guess D'addario Medium strings would be labeled Light...

I don't want to confuse you but.... why would D'addario Medium strings would be labeled Light?

D'addario Medium strings are 13's and their lights are 12's where's the confusion?

Next time you're in the shop mate just ask for 13's if you want a medium guage. If they give you anything else, or they waffle on just tell em to shut up and give you want you want or you'll go elsewhere.

Don't get bullied by guitar shop 'clerks'. Remember.... they work on commission.
I thought heavier strings sounded louder also?
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by orangeacid
I thought heavier strings sounded louder also?

Aswell as what?
Quote by Free
Aswell as what?

Umm.. louder than thinner strings?
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Quote by qcMan

I disagree.

I have seen people get good tone out of their acoustics with like light gauge strings. Heavier strings does not mean less playability, it just takes a few days to get used to, then you'd just be as good, I know because I tried it before too.