So Ive tried both an SR505, and an SR305FM at my local guitar shop several times, have a good feel for them, and basically am torn between which one to buy.

The 505 of course has the Bartolini pups along w/a Bartolini 3-band preamp, and is roughly $550 at my store.

Meanwhile the 305FM, while it doesn't have the fancy bartolini electronics feels and sounds really solid, moreso when you consider that it is $200 cheaper at $350 roughly.

Essentially I'd like some opinions between the two. Is it better to spend more on the Ibanez w/ the bart electronics, or am I just as well off getting the more affordable one, and saving the $200 for other gear?

(BTW my current gear is in my sig.)
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
the SR305FM is made of agathis, which hasn't been getting great reviews...

The SR505 has a weak finish, and is a bit expensive...
I would get the SR505. It is worth the extra $200 compared with the 305. Trust me. I've played both. Trust me you will not regret spending a lil extra!!!!
J. L.
how would an SR505 and a K5 match up? just curious...

and how are they for tapping? and are they versatile instruments?
i'd personally take the Sr505 it jsut seems like a much more versatile instrument with the barts adn the 3 band EQ. so i'd say it is worth the extra 200, but if the cheaper one feels better you could always invest in better pick-ups...
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
how would an SR505 and a K5 match up? just curious...

and how are they for tapping? and are they versatile instruments?

K5:505

Mahogany body:Mahogany body
Maple/Walnut 5 pc neck:Wenge/Bubinga 5 pc neck
24/med frets:24/med frets
Rosewood board:Rosewood board
Gold hardware:Chrome hardware
Poopy ugly K5 inlay:Abalone oval inlays
Poopy Ibanez stock pickups:Bart MK1's
Poopy Ibanez preamp:Bart MK1 pre
Black:Mahogony stain

They are very good for tapping and very versatile.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
K5:505

Mahogany body:Mahogany body
Maple/Walnut 5 pc neck:Wenge/Bubinga 5 pc neck
24/med frets:24/med frets
Rosewood board:Rosewood board
Gold hardware:Chrome hardware
Poopy ugly K5 inlay:Abalone oval inlays
Poopy Ibanez stock pickups:Bart MK1's
Poopy Ibanez preamp:Bart MK1 pre
Black:Mahogony stain

They are very good for tapping and very versatile.

The new K5 has the mahogany body, the last had mahogany with padauk top and bottom, which i think sounded better. The stock Ibanez Pick-ups and pre-amp aren't poopy, please. Actually, the Ibanez pre-amp has the frequency dial (arguably better than a 4 band), as well as a boost/cut, and the pick-ups sound pretty good. I've never been a fan of Ibanez in the past but I sure as hell am now, and Metaluptheass has made a huge understatment in saying VERY versatile. you have a SR506 right? you know exactly what i mean.
^ Yes I do, it's very very versatile, lol. And I agree, the Padauk top/bottom one was probably better. And you have a Prestige Ibby, which has arguably better electronics than the K5... the Korn series is just an easy $$$ getter for Ibanez, I think. The new K5 has a lower price to reach the poorer kids (Old one was in 1400 range wasn't it?) and the new K7's will doubtlessly be lower quality.

And yes, I said poopy... thrice!
haha
now since this is an ibanez bass thread, i dont really think i would be wrong in asking about another ibanez bass. The SR406, in black. My bass instructor has one, and he said he'd sell it to me for what he paid new for it. The only reason i would even consider this is that he has only used it less than 15 times or so (it collects dust in its cabinet at his house), and the fact that they currently aren't being produced. How much would i be looking at for a brand new SR406 (in american dollars?). It's in spotless shape, not a scratch on it. Plays like a dream, he's let me try it a few times. Also, how is it for metal?
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I wouldn't pay what it was new, the SR400 series was nice, but a 506 is leaps and bounds better and probably not very mcuh more expensive. If he gives you a nice price, it'd be a great entry level 6, but at a new price it's not worth it I think.
haha
Quote by pink chili
i'd personally take the Sr505 it jsut seems like a much more versatile instrument with the barts adn the 3 band EQ. so i'd say it is worth the extra 200, but if the cheaper one feels better you could always invest in better pick-ups...

second.
^Care to expand?

I'd go with the SR505. The Bartolini's just give you such a wonderful tonal range. The tone is very warm and clean. The wood adds to the bass's tone. It gives it a little low end growl that I love. The SR305 is nothing special. It plays like pretty much every other bass in that price range. The SR505 however, is a very distinct bass with its own tone.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.