Hey guys

Ive been playing for a few years and was recently given a guitar by a relative as a sort of family heirloom. It's a Carvin SC90S with several features, one of which is a Wilkinson Trem. The strings were pretty much dead, so I went out and bought a new set of Ernie Ball 10's. I've never had a guitar with a trem before, so I just threw the strings on. As youve probably guessed, whenever I try to tune it to pitch the trem floats up and its impossible to tune or do anything at all with. I feel like a retard. What do I need do to fix the problem?

Sorry for the stupidity
I don't know about that bridge specifically but if there is a place to add springs, do so, and if there is a way to screw in the claw that holds the springs and make them tighter, do that.
Yea I get that problem when I try to tune 11s to E standard so I keep it at D standard now. You'll probably need another spring.

And you're not retarded, it's a very reasonable question. Don't put yourself down.

I need to pick up another spring too. XD
try a lighter string gauge, 9's are probably better for floyd-rose or similar tremolo systems. Floating bridges are a bitch to tune, but it can be done. I usually tune my thickest strings about a step or two up, and either go from there in order to the thinnest string, or something along the lines of E(low)-e(high)-A-B-D-G. Otherwise, you can always take it to a guitar shop and they'll set it up for you, and probably not charge you a lot for it.

Remember to never take all of the strings off at once, but take one off, put a fresh string on, tune it and make sure you've stretched the string a bit so it stays in tune better, and then repeat the process for all the other strings. Hope that helped

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Its a wilkinson, not a floyd man, You must have no spring tension in the back. Open it and tighten the screw in the spring claw.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
yep if there is enough space you could un-tune tighten the trem claw and re-tune but generally for floating trems you would try to stick to the same string & gauge just for the convinience of not having to keep setting it up everytime you put on a different string set
What I do to compensate, without getting a new spring, is put your springs at an angle. It adds a bit of tension and I haven't noticed any tuning stability problems doing this with a Strat trem.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
What I do to compensate, without getting a new spring, is put your springs at an angle. It adds a bit of tension and I haven't noticed any tuning stability problems doing this with a Strat trem.

you do yours that way i do mine the Alexi Laiho way ( || / ) and the arrow formation ( /|\ ) which is what i think your talking about
Duuuuuuuude I want a picture of the Carvin SC90S!

That's the one I'll probably end up getting.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
you do yours that way i do mine the Alexi Laiho way ( || / ) and the arrow formation ( /|\ ) which is what i think your talking about

Well, I wanted my bridge flat against the body, so I went ///, but two over each time, so the one on the far left is hooked to the middle.
Hi, I'm Peter