So I am thinking about getting an amp, but I don't know whether to buy one now or save up.
Buying now would be a Blues Junior(for about $330). Saving up is a Blues Deluxe(for about $520).
I know the Blues Junior will be loud enough for practice, but for gigs? And if I need to mike it, will it sound ok? Also, I am going to need to buy overdrive for the jr. which is at least 70 out of my pocket, so it's gonna be like 400. I have tried them out, and they are pretty similar in sound at low volumes. Any opinions?
Break it down and then break it up again
Me and my guitar drowning down and down
you might want to look at some traynors too, though they may be dearer even than the fender, lol (i'm not sure, though).

I like the BJ, but yeah, it may not be loud enough... wait and see what someone else says. as far as I know, the quality of the tone is similar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
has anyone tried the blues jr. for gigs that would know what extent it has space wise?

also, does the jr. ext. out?
Last edited by fenderatticus at Aug 1, 2006,
The Deluxe is pretty much a bigger version of the BJ. Both are nice but i think the BJ should suit you fine. You can play it at home (probably) and at gigs (its loud). It can drown out a lot of drummers. it depends on the size of the venue.

You could also upgrade it with a celestion 30 or greenback and it would be nniiceee. I hear there is an upgrade that can make them sound like AC30s.

^^Traynors are really nice too^^ itd be really nice to get a YCV 20 or 15 Blue. i think they are a little more flexible. try one out
say I was playing gigs, with about 100 people, and the space was like 100X100?

The problem with traynor is, like I said I don't want to spend money on a blues deluxe, which would be about the price of a traynor.

also spending 100 bucks for a new speaker would defeat the whole budget thing too. I've heard a lot of people talk about getting speakers with the blues jr., is it still worth it without a speaker upgrade?

Edit: will the better speaker, help the volume boost more?
there would be a LOT of empty space for 100 people in 100x100

haha you could always mic it you may need to anyway. The speaker issue would be a great upgrade but the bj is still worth it without. It depends on the speaker for the volume question.

Its still a great amp either way.

The real question is....are you playing gigs?
I was just making an estimate with the 100 people 100X100, I was trying to think of the size of the room of the places I have played. Space is smaller, but probably about gigs with anywhere between 75-150 people. The gigs played are also normally like hang around teen clubs or for smaller places cafes...

Would it still sound the same miked, or would it be smothered. and if I got a speaker it would be the greenback, cuz I've heard good things about it when put into the bj.
Don't forget you can always mic a Blues Jr at a gig, and they'll sound better practicing/jamming than a Deluxe(way too loud), but they'd do gigs better.

I love my Blues Jr, and much prefer it than Deluxes (maybe not the Blues deluxe though...it's blonde)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Danno13
I kinda want to sig that.

you think that's bad, there's a chip shop near me (actually, it's almost a chain now), called BJ's, and the tagline is "for good taste".

Do NOT order anything with mayonnaise on it from that shop...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hmm...sounds like the junior is the way to go. any suggestions for what OD will sound best with it?
what do you want the OD to do for your tone? be transparent? add a lot more gain? be a subtle boost? are you willing to put the money you've saved from getting the BJ over the HR into getting an awesome OD?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm gonna need a warm OD for blues, but somewhat versitile for some harder rock, more classic rock (hardest being like, zep.). I don't really want to spend A LOT of money on it, cuz I was trying to save by buying the bj, also I need to buy a wah at some point.
...damn all these things I need to get...one of them should be a job.
some of the homebrew electronics overdrive pedals are pretty nice (power screamer, uno mos (a clean boost)). They mightn't be too much either, since they're made in the USA.

I hear good things about the zen overdrive pedal, but I haven't tried it.

maxon od808 and t-rex alberta are quite nice too, and the blackbox x-ray.

EDIT: though I'm far from the most knowledgeable person around here about OD's.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd like to stay under $100, if possible. Can I still get something thats gonna sound nice with the bj for that price?
^ you'll probably get something that's decent, but not amazing.

I'm not too well up on USA pricing, so I may be wrong...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I believe one pound is like 1.8 dollars. So the ones you showed me were all 130-200
^ aye, but stuff in the USA tends to be cheaper than here...

which one was $130?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the maxon was $130
are they any good to buy used, or is it one of those things that is best just bought from the store?
^Of course you can buy them used and they're fine, but it's just a matter of finding them...
Don't be afraid to care"

Rhcp, you have a boss OD, and Bluesdriver, how do those sound with the bj?
check out the Hot Rod by digitech, it's cheap and great for classical rock, not too sure about blues but i think it should cope.
Quote by Tom Martin

Jeez... if your house was on fire, what would you do? Phone the fire department, or go on UG and ask us what to do?
Immense.

The Blues Driver is great classic rock sounds and blues, but it's not a really smooth sounding overdrive.
The OD3 is really nice for slightly distorting cleans, and its main use on my board is to boost my Big Muff, it sounds amazing, it makes everything sound so much better, sweeter, clearer, smoother etc.
Don't be afraid to care"

does the big muff sound good without the od3, with the bj? would you suggest the big muff as the overdrive to buy with it?
Last edited by fenderatticus at Aug 3, 2006,
Quote by fenderatticus
does the big muff sound good without the od3, with the bj? would you suggest the big muff as the overdrive to buy with it?

Yes, and no, the Big Muff isn't an overdrive, it's a fuzz/distortion.
Don't be afraid to care"