most likely it won't damage anything, but it might stain the inlays, that is of course if you cover those up. you wouldn't have to worry about the inlays being uneven with the finish too, because stain if absorbed into the wood. personally, i would leave the inlays uncovered so it would have a nifty look to them, mabye like a swirl or something from the brush (or rag) strokes. yeah, you can get dark stain at lowes or something, i use minwax for most of the things i do, gun stocks, furniture etc. so if you are up for a little project that might take a few minutes, i say go for it.

edit- oh, and it won't hurt the frets either, but you should cover them to keep them shiney, and after a little while of handling, the stain on the metal would rub off, that is to say if you didn't cover anything with tape.
Last edited by mr.peaches at Jul 31, 2006,
thanx man

the thing is i wanted the inlays to stay the way they are, and there kinda too small to cover, i'm not as worried about the frets, it's not that big a deal to me, besides like you said, it will rub off easy, if i do it i'll use a water soluble, so a good wipe with wet rag should take it off the frets
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
when i tried mine i tested it out over top of some MOP. if the pearl is smooth it comes off with a bit of rubbing. well actually one time it rubbed off like nothing, just one quick wipe and it was gone. the other time i left it on for longer and i guess it dried on so i had to scrub it off but it never ended up affecting the colour of the pearl. just some food for thought.
but did the actual wood get damaged when you scrubbed the mop?

EDIT and by scrub you mean a rag right? not like steel wool or anything?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Last edited by seek_&_destroy at Aug 1, 2006,