So I want to write a celtic sounding acoustic piece for my band's new cd but I don't really know where to begin or how to get that celtic sound. If anyone knows what scales and/or chords to use it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows any celtic sounding songs with tabs so I could get a better idea of the sound then please reccomend them, thanks.
Guitar
Jackson DKMGT with semour duncan pickups
Peavey Classic 30 (upgraded speaker)
Digitech Digidelay
Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
Dunlop wah
Boss DS-1
Bass
Rogue LX400 pro- 4 string bass
Rogue RB60 60 watt bass combo
Mixolydian and Dorian can work, but it's how they're used that's important. Listen to Irish music like the Chieftans. There's also a whole bunch of traditional celtic tabs on here (look up "traditional celtic" as the artist.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
White Summer/Black Mountainside by Led Zeppelin. Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus: Sarcophagi by the Mars Volta has a Celtic feel. Broken Boy Soldier by the Raconteurs is an awesome song, but I wouldn't really consider it celtic, but it does have a little drone in it. Get the album Aqualung by Jethro Tull, it has some nice celtic-esque acoustics. I'm sure there's a System of a Down song with a celtic vibe. Some Devendra Banhart, Nick Drake, definately some Roy Harper, and some John Renbourn and Bert Jansch. There you go!
i think that the celtic sound comes more from phrasing and arrangement than it does from certain scales or chords. as someone mentioned above, flogging molly is a great band to look into for a celtic sound in a rock context. dropkick murphys have a celtic sound to some of their songs as well, but not as much as Flogging Molly IMO. other than that, just listen to some traditional celtic songs for some phrasing ideas and work in a key/scale you feel comfortable with.
Open tunings, that's about as much as I can help.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
In celtic music, mixolydian is their favored major choice and dorian is the favored minor choice. Dorian and Mixolydian both have b7 (or #6). They like to drone a bass note too. For example, have a A major drone or just A, and noodle around in A mixolydian
~Long live the 6-string~
Dadgad tuning works for me! I play a bit of celtic...Rory Gallagher, I think its called "western plains" or something, thats all Dadgad (besides the lead guitar), sounds very celtic and it rocks. You'll find most Celtic music is in Dadgad tuning, and its good fun to play around with..........
Celtic is all about the melody. So, hear a melody in your head before picking up the guitar, and then learn it on the guitar. It might take time, but it's a great way. There isn't much if any bass movement in celtic songs, as often they don't even have an instrument in that register. Try playing a bit of a melody starting on your tonic note, then have a bit of a response, starting a fifth up.

Unfortunately I don't know much about it, but good luck!
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Pentatonics are used quite a bit in Celtic/Scottish music, the bagpipes have the tuning A B C# D E F# G A so they're Mixolydian but again depends on the song and notes used. Look at traditional stuff and it's all pentatonic. ( Skye Boat Song for example ).
Black Rose- Thin Lizzy

Nuff said

another dream
i was taking a shower
and i took my penis off to wash it
but i couldnt figure out how to put it back on
so it ran away- Superunkown
beatiful anecdote
Just check out some Opeth they have breaks like the one for benighted, well, the entire song pretty much, but it is just the same composure as folk music. Pick out the notes to common first position chords and you can create a celtic mood, and mess around with waltz meter.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
check out bands like Cruachan, Waylander, they have traditional irish music mixed with metal, its ****in great
We have to dissect and study Irish music in school, so I can tell you that the main features are:

Flattened 7th(mixolydian)
repeated notes, especially at the end of a piece
ORNAMENTATION - the most important one
free rhythm in slow airs and sean nós singing
drones/pedal points
multiple instruments playing the same melody
mono or homophonic texture, ie no harmonies or countermelodies

And fyi:
Reel=4/4
Jig=6/8
Slip jig=9/8
Hornpipe=slow 4/4 with dotted feel
Waltz=3/4
Slow air=free rhythm

I bet I've forgotten something important but those are the main ones:P You can imitate a piper by using open tunings - DAGDAd is the most popular over here.
Celtic music normally uses mixolydian and dorian as said above but it also quite frequently uses just straight major and minor (Ionian and Aeolian). Normally it is mostly about the rhythm that the chords are played with.

But I'd say the best way to learn is to head down to a pub and try and find a 'session' and see how they do it. Or don't you get those in America?

If you have any use for some celtic sheet music you can contact me with a PM. If you want.
The picking hand and patterns you use are more important that scale for Irish music.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.