Any suggestions for what type of pickups i should get for my Les Paul?

Im also looking at the EMG Zakk Wylde and Kerry King pickups.. anyone know if these are good?
Don't get signature pickups. Get regular EMGs if you want them.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
those pickups are the same thing as the regular 81 and 85s, they just bundle them together and have you buy em both at once
Go get your shovel.
Quote by SynGates7X
those pickups are the same thing as the regular 81 and 85s, they just bundle them together and have you buy em both at once

He is right they are the same pick ups plus they are cheaper I think and they are pre wired so it is easier to instal!
then get an 81 for the bridge and a 60 for the neck, that should cover your bases
Go get your shovel.
the Seymour duncan SH-4/SH-2N set is pretty good

edit: unless ur just wanting activs
Quote by SynGates7X
then get an 81 for the bridge and a 60 for the neck, that should cover your bases

thanks man! much appreciated.. ive only been playing a year, and i still have enough to learn about guitar.. and i just wanna be able to know all i can and then learn even more.. thanks
Wait. Before you go out and buy EMGs, what amp do you have?
RIP SYD
why, cuz you NEED a tube amp for EMG's to sound good? hmm? is that what you're gonna say? cuz you dont. they sound good anyway, i have a Crate GLX65 and they still sound amazing, granted they sound alot better in the Blue Voodoo down at the store, but they still sound good out of other amps.
Go get your shovel.
That isn't what I was going to say. I just think it's pointless to upgrade your pickups at all because they are a small percentage of your tone.
RIP SYD
cuz u need a tube amp to get emg's to sound good
edit: damn!
edit again: Why at the top of the screen is it asking me is Brandon Routh gay?
Last edited by rockr09 at Jul 31, 2006,
oh, well then that rant can go to the guy below you...but, he may not have enough for a new amp if he needs one
Go get your shovel.
Well then he can just save up because at this point EMGs would be pointless.
RIP SYD
yeah...but we still wont know until he replies with what amp he has
Go get your shovel.
uhm i got an old vintage peavey amp.. a medium sized one.. i have no idea how many watts.. havent asked dad.
I just want to know, what is the difference between passive and active pick-ups?

I thought this would be a suitable place to ask, because I am a bit of n00b when it comes to pickups.
active pickups have a pre amp built in and have a higher output than passive pickups
Go get your shovel.
i like dimarzio evolutions but i dont really know if they would sound good on a lp. ive only used them on strat style guitars.
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
well that guy just actually made me think of something, what les paul do you have? like whats it made out of and stuff? give us specs if you can
Go get your shovel.
oh man uhm.. 22 frets, i have no idea how to tell which pickups are which.. rosewood.. its just a standard epiphone les paul..

im abit of a newcomer to really knowing whats what on guitar.. i just like guitars .. but i wanna learn more right.. sooooo yeh..

so uhm

22 frets
rosewood
bridge/neck pickups..

not too sure.. havent really cheked into it before.. or tried to figure out.
well its mahogany so you have the best wood for EMGs, well the best would in my opinion
Go get your shovel.
don't you have to get a new wiring setup and all for emg's???? i'm not sure, idk too much about them, they're not cheap, but worth it
i think they are about 90 a piece, depending on where you get them, but you need new pots and wiring with them
Go get your shovel.
i bought the zakk wylde emgs for les paul. And for the guy who said not to buy them? Why not? it was cheaper to buy the zakk wylde set (81, 85) then buy them seperatly. Well were i live it does.
Co-Founder of the I Am Canadian Club, pm me or Mantiscabinet to join

My gear:

Gibson les paul studio
line 6 spider 112
washburn X12 with zakk wylde emgs
2004 pearl protone drum set
its the preamp that makes them active, the battery powers the preamp
Go get your shovel.