Ok, so I've finally decided that my band really sucks. We're a hardcore/death metal band, and we have a really weird set up; one guitarist, two vocalists, a bassist, and a drummer. I'm the guitarist, and really the main hub for the band, because i have the most experience at what i do, but the only problem is that i always wanted to play shred guitar, and im almost there, but they want me to play something that i never really listened to before i got into this "band". Most of the ideals are pretty different, but im willing to expand my playing field. should i stick with this band, or quit? and if i stay, is there anyone who can give me pointers on what to do in order to have more variety in my playing, because i really am starting to enjoy this type of music.

sorry for the long post
Quote by pinheadslts75
My right hand fell in love with my penis once. Then the right hand realized the penis slept with the left one too. Things are akward in the bedroom nowadays.
**** that! Death metal blows, next time you go to practice make sure your packing heat and take out the singer and save the rest of us from hearing his annoying squeal!
I'd stay in if you don't have other options.

You can always play what you want during solos, if your bandmates complain, tell them to take a flying **** and that they can have any solo they want before/after you.

As for finding new things to do, start listening and playing other genres. You never know when that Johnny Cash or Guns N' Roses lick will fit perfectly.

If it really sucks, try to make it better. If you start playing a lot better, everyone around will want to pick it up so they don't look like tools on stage compared to you.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
yeah man

Im in the same position kinda..

But I say you stick with your band.. but just study other types of music as well.

And maybe you could start a side project or something?
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
For a more helpful post, you wanna play more shred style right? And your band wants to go death metal... as far as I can tell. Well, have you ever heard of Children of Bodom? Cause that's your type of band, plenty of leads and 'shred' solos, yet with the Finnish Death Metal twist, but you're gonna need a second guitarist, we can't all be Randy Rhoads. I know he's not death metal, but he was the lone guitarist for Ozzy until his death.

And btw, I mean helpful, in regards to the 'Death metal blows kid.'
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
yeah, but i need variety that sounds great in death metal, like scales and stuff to play. because its all pretty much foreign to me. I also want chords other than just power chords, you know it gets boring.
Quote by pinheadslts75
My right hand fell in love with my penis once. Then the right hand realized the penis slept with the left one too. Things are akward in the bedroom nowadays.
If you like metal, try sludge/stoner metal. Like Fireball Ministry or Corrosion Of Conformity. Listen to those bands and see if you get inspired. Sludge/stoner metal is simple and sounds great. You guys should be able to pull it off even if you guys suck. As for the sucking, practice practice practice. Any place where we can hear your band?
Gear:ESP B50 Bass , Ibanez Bass Practice amp, Dean Vendetta 4F , Dean TEVO, Epiphone Special SG, Dimarzio pickups, 30-watt Randall combo, 95Q Crybaby wah, Dunlop Picks, Dadarrio strings, MXR six-band eq.
Last edited by RIP Dime at Jul 31, 2006,
I dont suck, at least by most standards, its the rest of the band except for me and another guy.
Quote by pinheadslts75
Quote by #1 nirvana fan
yeah, but i need variety that sounds great in death metal, like scales and stuff to play. because its all pretty much foreign to me.

Study classical, and study blues, you can always find a new, cool way to apply it to your liking. Study Yngwie, Alexi Laiho, Slash, anybody you can get your hands on... the more you learn, the easier it will be to apply it to your music. Plus, if you start making badass solos, the band will head for your direction, because you are the one that make people watch you... and all bands head towards popularity riding on the shoulders of their best player(s).

And yes, totally heed my advice and get a second guitarist... you will need one.

Man, I'd quit that P.O.S. NOW. put up some flyers for tryouts and find some good players who can do a multitude of styles, not just one $H1TTY one. my band is a cover band, and we play anything from AC/DC to The Beatles to Disturbed to Green Day. Be flexible in your style and incorporate more than one style into your own songs and make it fun. get a backup guitarist, a bassist, and a drummer, and make sure they can play their part, know their stuff and styles, and most of all..............MAKE SURE THEY DO IT WELL, BUT NOT TOO MUCH PAST YOUR ABILITY. IF THEY ARE A LOT BETTER THAN YOU, PRACTICE. IF THEY ARE WORSE THAN YOU, HELP THEM. hold tryouts if you need to or put up posters and flyers.
i know that need a second guitarist, but i have found no one thats available and can contribute without me writing another part. I already make my part, and the bass part.
Quote by pinheadslts75
Quote by #1 nirvana fan
i know that need a second guitarist, but i have found no one thats available and can contribute without me writing another part. I already make my part, and the bass part.

Well not everything needs to be harmonized, and **** if you need to, do what I do, if my backup can't play what I write, make him play the backing chords, until he's good enough to do it.

And i mean the basic, bare bones backing chords.

what about variety in chords though. I appreciate what youre saying, but if i want to be good in this genre, then i need a deeper understanding of it. I play with my guitar tuned to C and then a dropped B flat.

Edit: I am "good", but i want to be better.
Quote by pinheadslts75
Last edited by #1 nirvana fan at Jul 31, 2006,
Quote by #1 nirvana fan
what about variety in chords though. I appreciate what youre saying, but if i want to be good in this genre, then i need a deeper understanding of it. I play with my guitar tuned to C and then a dropped B flat.

Well there are two ways you can approach this.

1. You can sit with a chord book, looking at diminshed chords, minor chords, inverted chords, etc.

or

2. Experiment... take a normal chord, and put your fingers on subtly different frets.
Plus, if you study, say classical, you'll learn new chords, just base on knowing the scales. Plus, seriously, it's death metal, you don't need to be Dream Theater, most death metal is fairly easy, but where it really comes in is the solos. So know your soloing ****, and the chords will come with it, like you'll know when you hit these notes, this chord can harmonize/ back it well.

if your playing death metal rythm id work on power chord inversions and whatnot, really any chords bigger than that wont sound to great in a death metal context.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if your playing death metal rythm id work on power chord inversions and whatnot, really any chords bigger than that wont sound to great in a death metal context.

yea, i agree here, definitely work on your power chords and crunch sounds. try using a drop D tuning to make the power chords a little easier to hit for faster stuff. take a look at Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai's techniques, rythyms, and tones to get a better feel for what you might be looking for.
im starting to hate my band to. My singer cant sing. Infact he doesnt sing. He doesnt even have a pa system to h ear him self during practice. He is so f*cking bad. He sounds like a taridactal (sp) live.

f****ck
meow :3
^ no ****!?!?! he sounds like a pteradactyl? thats basdass!!!

but as for the kid who hates his band cuz they suck..... i would recommend having your band mates open up to a variety of music as well, also they have to WANT to be better at their instruments, i had a friend of mine, a real good friend and all he wanted to do was play four chords, i mean, he had said he'd love to have the skill and ability i have but he just didn't want to put forth the effort and time cuz to him it seemed impossible (and for those of you who have gotten pretty good and know it, you're prolly of the same mindframe i'm at which is 'it's not about the destination its about the journey' and if your bandmates don't want to put forth the energy and effort to get better at their instruments then you may want to seek another band.
Dude, Stay In That ****
The 2 Vocalists Thing Doesn't Get Used Enough
The Only Band I Can Think Of That Did That Is Mushroomhead
And Their Second Show Was Opening For Gwar
So Just Improve The Rest Of The Band, And Stay In That ****
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
First question that you have to ask yourself, is do you enjoy it? If you don't then get out of there, music is all about enjoyment, as soon as it becomes a labour then its not good. If you want to play a different style because you dont enjoy this one and you feel it doesnt work to your preferred strengths then either see if the band are willing to compromise, or just leave and find a new band. I know that the prospect of starting a new band can be scary, and almost impossible, but once you get there and play that first gig with the new band, you will be on the biggest high ever.

If you do like the band your in right now, but you dont feel that they are able to match your level, then help! I started a band with a new player after i had been playing for 5 years, within a month of 3 practices a week, he was playing very happily, infact, he's now a very very good guitarist with his own band! (we broke up because i decided to go and play classic and glam rock and he wanted to go and play heavy rock pop rock) Anyway, i'm guessing that your good friends with these guys, so just stick with them if you enjoy it and give them a hand, maybe all try and work to a target, like an up and coming gig, gigs have a way of pushing people very hard.
ok so yeah, thanks for the help. i do enjoy being in the band, its not at all that bad. I just wish that we could be a lot better.

Heres a recording, and keep in mind, this is not my playing or creativity level. I just felt too onfined with the drum beat to really explore, and no im not just making excuses. I know it sounds like crap, but we have improved, and we are pushing onward. this song was recorded about two or three months ago with a condenser mic, so the quality isnt that great either.

EDIT: Its not there any more.
Quote by pinheadslts75