What is a good, solid set of strings for a steel-string acoustic guitar? I'm not really looking for the top of the line, extremely expensive ones, but at the same time don't want really cheesy ones. My friend recommends elixirs.
elixers are the top of the line ones. I don't really like um. Alot of people here seem to like D'addario or however the heck it's spelled. Those are a bit pricey too though. A pack of martins cost around $10. not to cheap, not to pricey. They sound pretty good, and have a decent lifespan.
elixurs are the best, but they're super expensive. I've always been a fan of Martin strings and continue to use them on my twelve string, but I just put on a set of D-addario 12s and they're by far the best I've used. $7 a pack. Great deal.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Elixers all the way. Yes they are more expensive, but they will outlast several sets of the cheaper strings, so, costwise it's still about the same over the long run.
If you do finger picking alot, I wouldn't waste my money on coated strings like elixers.
Why not? I fingerpick all the time and I use elixir nanowebs. But that's the only set of strings I've used on my acoustic (got it 2 months ago) so I don't know how others would sound/feel.
I reccomend Martins, Elixirs last along time, but that coating makes them feel really weird and i dont think they sound as good. But it seems a lot of people prefer them so i guess it wouldnt hurt to try them out.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Your friend recommended correctly.

But then again, it all depends on what you play most. For fingerpicking it doesn't really matter that much; I only use Elixir strings and I fingerpick a hell of a lot. But if you play alot of bluegrass, then coated strings aren't for you. If you play bluegrass, then I highly recommend Martin SP Phosphor Bronze strings.
Quote by doggy_hat
And I can always borrow my friend's urine.

Love is the water of life, drink it with heart and soul---Rumi

----i love to drink----
Savarez.... Great strings. All the high strings are wrapped nylon, etc.......
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
John Pearse i believe theyre called...thats what i have on mine and they sound pretty deace
After going through the extensive search on the set of strings that I liked the most...

Elixir's
Martins
Webstrings.com
D'addario's

etc etc... I have finally found the set I believe I am sticking with and they are the D'addario EXP's they sound great and have lasted longer than any other string I've used so far, but keep in mind strings are kind of like Boxers of Briefs is most of all personal preference..

Good luck!
Quote by Jmp51483

I have finally found the set I believe I am sticking with and they are the D'addario EXP's they sound great and have lasted longer than any other string I've used so far

agreed. d'addario exp > elixirs in every aspect.
I prefer the D'adarrio EXP's to Elixers and here's why:

1. Elixer's are far too smooth for my taste due to the coating on the outside and it makes stuff like classical vibrato not very feasible

2. I had two strings break from two separate sets within a few days.

3. EXP's are coated BEFORE they're wrapped, therefore they last just as long but aren't all slippery

4. I've never broken an EXP string, I've always replaced them because of tone loss (which takes a while)

5. I don't like the overly bright sound of the Elixers.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
wat does it cost to buy single strings or can u even buy them in singles
[highlight]MY GUITAR[/highlight]
Quote by TheAmaranth
I once broke a G-String while fingering an A minor.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your sig if you are one of the 8% who stayed with real music.
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm still confused about the different guages of the strings. There are sooo many kinds of the same pack of strings and I don't know the difference. Thanks!
Quote by Queso
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm still confused about the different guages of the strings. There are sooo many kinds of the same pack of strings and I don't know the difference. Thanks!

The thicker the string, the more tension it must be under to achieve the same pitch as a thinner string. Therefore, the higher gauge you go, the harder it will be to fret the note. Thicker strings have advantages though, mainly increase in bass and overall tone.

My practice guitar has a pretty rough action (height of strings off the fretboard, also affects tone and difficulty of fretting) and I used .13's for a number of reasons. Mainly, they sound good, and when I learn a song on that guitar, when I switch to my electric I can smoke it. Lighter gauge strings are easier to press down and easier to bend, but you sacrafice tone and bass.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
I really like DR's and Martins. Martins are my main acoustic strings, sometimes I'll do DR's, which are my electric guitar strings. I'd go for Martin SP's, either .12 or .13 guage.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by civildp1
elixurs are the best, but they're super expensive. I've always been a fan of Martin strings and continue to use them on my twelve string, but I just put on a set of D-addario 12s and they're by far the best I've used. $7 a pack. Great deal.

I have D'addarios on my 12 string and 6 string, and I love them too. I've got to admit though, I've never tried Elixirs. I think next time I will try Elixirs to see how they hold up. If they retain that lovely first day ring (or first few days), then they'll have me buying their strings too
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
im using Ernie Ball Super Slinky nickel wound strings, but i dont really know much about strings so i dont know if i've made a bad choice.
Quote by Chips-
Why not? I fingerpick all the time and I use elixir nanowebs. But that's the only set of strings I've used on my acoustic (got it 2 months ago) so I don't know how others would sound/feel.

My experience with the elixers is that the coating comes off within a few hours of play anyways so they don't make much of a difference. Martins are half the price so you might as well go with those. I like the feel of elixers, and the fact that they don't sqeak, but it just ain't worth the money to me.