Page 1 of 2
Yup another cover contest. Pink Floyd is one of my favorite bands, so i decided to organize this contest. i'll judge but i'll need 3 others to help me. the rules:

• You must be playing guitar yourself
  • You can play other instruments as well
  • Vocals must be included, either done by you, someone you know, or you can get them from the backing track if you're using one
  • 1 song per person, first come first serve, so you may not do the same as someone else
  • any pink floyd songs are aloud, from the barrett era to waters-gilmour era
  • no solo work. this means no on an island or the madcap laughs.

just say which song you would like to use in youre post

start recording/posting whenever you like. this ends next week tuesday, time is still undecided.

thanks and have fun

Judges:
me
Zeppelin256
private
ilovethe70s

contestants:

RHDIII -Wish you were here-
http://www.4shared.com/dir/392496/6004ffb3/sharing.html

rich2k4-on the turning away- http://richmusic.dmusic.com

Kurt_Morrelo -Mother- http://groovingwithapict.dmusic.com/

sunshineshankar -Apples and oranges

robmarsden01-Shine On You Crazy Diamond VI-IX

dcoyle4040 -breathe

gtgram14-comftarbly numb

macman01- Coming Back to life - http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/p...tolifecover.mp3
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Last edited by gtrfrk123 at Aug 8, 2006,
I'll help with judging.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
kay
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

i forgot to tell how the judging works. in 2 weeks when everyone's posted, the judges will just vote for a winner, pretty simple.
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

EDIT: I'd like to sign up for Mother, please, I'm going to need to domething absent of keyboards.
Quote by soccermom
Of course eating unbelievable amounts of anything can probably harm you, but i chose bananas because they look like willies.
Last edited by Kurt_Morrelo at Aug 1, 2006,
OK I'm gonna be brave and go for Shine On You Crazy Diamond. If I should drop out, would I be able to pick another song (nameley either Astronomy Domine or Breathe) or or do i just have the one shot at it?

Edit: I'll do Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts VI-IX instead, less to sing and a heck of a lot shorter, too!
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Last edited by robmarsden01 at Aug 1, 2006,
wtf why must vocals be included? Is this not a guitar players forum??
I would have entered comfortably numb or shine on but I'm no vocalist and I don't know any so **** that!
I'll do Time, if I can find the time (really bad joke not intended). I should be able to.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Ill do Breath. If thats ok. When, and how do you want us to submit the songs then??
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
i would have entered but you have to include vocals wich is ridiculuis(sp?).so i guess ill judge
Last edited by ilovethe70s at Aug 1, 2006,
Quote by robmarsden01
OK I'm gonna be brave and go for Shine On You Crazy Diamond. If I should drop out, would I be able to pick another song (nameley either Astronomy Domine or Breathe) or or do i just have the one shot at it?

Edit: I'll do Shine On You Crazy Diamond Parts VI-IX instead, less to sing and a heck of a lot shorter, too!

Since he's doing VI-IX, I'll take a crack at I-V

Shine On You Crazy Diamond I-V please
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Last edited by Black Star at Aug 1, 2006,
I'll record a cover of "Brain Damage/Eclipse" but would this count as one song?
"They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, Call me Deacon Blues"- Steely Dan
Now heres a good idea for a cover contest, man i love pink floyd.

I will definantly participate, put me down for "Mother"

well i dont know.. im really against using backing tracks for these contests.. i dont think i want to join in if everyones simply going to be playing the guitar over a backing track, takes the fun out of it :/
Mother's already taken.

I'm not using a backing track. I'm not a big fan of them either.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
dcoyle4040 asked when and how to submit the songs, just post a link to whatever page your song is on. you can submit the songs whenever you like as long as its before next tuesday, (when the judging begins). everything else is in the first post.
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

To be honest, I'm not against the idea of backing tracks, as long as people realise that using a full backing track isn't realy gonna get them the best "marks". I mean, it'd be easy for anyone to get a Comfortably numb backing and just play the solo, but it'd take a lot more effort and ingenuity to do Echoes with just guitar and maybe a programmed drum/bass. I won't use a premade backing (cause i can't find any!), but i might program drum and bass on fruity loops if i can get it to work
My gear;

Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Quote by Danfan3
I'll record a cover of "Brain Damage/Eclipse" but would this count as one song?

yea, it'll count as one.
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

K I have to enter this, but jeesh, we have to have vocals? Can we do like....the vocal melody on guitar, also rich has like the best vocalist ever. I'll do everyone's favorite, comfortably numbb.
http://groovingwithapict.dmusic.com/

I don't plan on redoing any of the instrumentation, but the vocals, are pretty much rough draft at this point. I'll have the final thing up soon.
Quote by soccermom
Of course eating unbelievable amounts of anything can probably harm you, but i chose bananas because they look like willies.
I will, regretfully, have to say I'm not entering the contest

I have most of the intro down, but not enough time for the rest.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Just a heads up, all the songs need to be up by tomorrow.
Quote by guitar_god22

Quote by RyanInChains9
yea, tonite at 12:01 am central time, the voting will start, so by 12:00am central time, they all have to be in.
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

Am I right in saying that that's 5.00AM GMT, tomorrow morning?
My gear;

Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Here's my cover of Shine On... Pts 6-9. I had to rush the leads for the slide part (hence they're sh*t, basically), and there's no vocals I'm afraid, but here it is anyway;

http://funkymonk.dmusic.com/

I did everything myself, which is why it took so long- all drums and bass were programmed on FL Studio, and then guitars added with a Line6 GuitarPort.
My gear;

Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

I can't get mine in in time. Sorry
Quote by MuffinMan
I will not be able to get my Pink Floyd cover in on time, sorry.
"They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, Call me Deacon Blues"- Steely Dan
My vote goes to On the Turning Away as well.

I did like the SOYCD 6-9 cover, but once the slide part came in, it was almost unbearable...but not because it was bad. I thought the playing was good, but the guitar was a little bit out of tune compared to the rhythm, and it absolutely drove me crazy. I liked that you did everything in the song yourself though, it sounded good.

The Coming Back to Life cover was also good, but it seemed a little unstable throughout most of it.

Rich's cover of OtTA was the most solid, and the vocals and guitar work were very good.
Quote by guitar_god22

Quote by RyanInChains9
same here. looks like on the turning way is the winner. i would've gone for shine on you crazy diamond but there wern't any vocals and at the start i said they were required.
~gtrfrk

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

When do we have to have the recordings by?....

if its do'able can i do "young lust" or "fat old sun"......
Page 1 of 2