Well, I've been working with chord contruction, but I'm afraid I'm not comprehending it fully. I try making a major chord, but when I switch notes, say from like an EM to a BM or something off the top of my head, its always the exact same fingering. Is it like that or am I just not understanding the more complex rules of chord construction? Or does it change also depending on which string your root note is on? Thanks for the help...
"EM" or "BM"? Like, "Emajor" and "Bmajor"?

A kind of chord often has a moveable shape...

-3--5-
-3--5-
-4--6-
-5--7-
-5--7-
-3--5-

Gmaj and Amaj, respectively. Same shape of the fingers, two different chords...

Perhaps specify your question a bit more... it's a tad on the vague side right now. I'm not sure I can answer any of your questions without confusing you entirely, because my answer will be vague as well.
Looking for my India/Django.
If you are using barre chords, then the fingering will be the same, but on a different fret. What string the root note is on will depend on the chord shape you are using in the barre.
Yes, on a barre chord all your index finger is really doing is acting like a nut that you can move.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
If you want to learn chord construction you should know that every chord has a root, a 3rd, and a 5th. For a Major chord you would use a major 3rd and for a Minor chord you would use a...you guessed it minor 3rd so lets say you want to play a C major and a C minor....

First lets look at the scale...
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 (or octave)
C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C

To play a C major you need to locate the root, the major 3rd and the 5th.

so just find the note the corresponds with the correct number.

1(or root)= C, Major 3rd=E and the 5th= G

that gives you C,E, and G.

Now if you were to play a minor chord, the only difference is you play a minor third instead of a major third, to play a minor third simply flatten the major third one half step. This would give you.

C, Eb, and G.

And thats a C Minor!

Now I'm sure you can look up chord shapes and what not, their all over the internet, but now hopefully you have a little bit of insight to the basics of forming chords, It's really not as complicated as it seems.

Goodluck
Last edited by Wolf_At_TheDoor at Aug 1, 2006,
Well, I understand how chords are formed. You'll have to excuse my "vague-ness". I guess to be more direct with my question, Why do I always get the same fingering for different chords on the same string? I just thought maybe I was missing soemthing with different patterns for the same chord... thanks for the help, but I think I understand it now. Thanks again.
Well, every major chord is built of the same note degrees of it's tonic, and since the guitar is so shape-oriented, all you have to do is move the fingering around!
You can change the shape of the fingering a little bit if you stay on the same string, but usually one fingering is easier to play and the other is a b*tch to play. Otherwise, to get a different fingering, you would probably have to change what string the root is on. It sounds like you're doing something like this:
|---|---|
|---|---|
|-1-|-8-|
|-2-|-9-|
|-2-|-9-|
|-0-|-7-|

for E major and B major (I assume that what you mean. Sorry if you meant the other way around or something completely different) I would play those like so:
|---|---|       |---|---|
|-9-|---|       |---|-4-|
|-9-|-8-|  or:  |-1-|-4-|
|-9-|-9-|       |-2-|-4-|
|-7-|-9-|       |-2-|-2-|
|---|-7-|       |-0-|---|

More likely the first one than the second one because that's the change where your hand moves the least.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION