Hey guys.

I just won this auction a little while ago:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&item=150013952004&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I have a Squier stratocaster right now that I like (poor-man's amp though, I'm using a bass amp right now in leiu of not having my guitar amp with me :p) running through a BOSS DS-2 distortion pedal. I'm still learning, but because of my moving around alot (I'm an international student), I wanted to get a guitar for both home and where I am when I'm at school (my parents are musicians and have had some bad experiences with instruments on flights, such as a certain $1500 Guild acoustic having its neck snapped in transit, plus the damned things are awkward).

What do you guys think of it? I like Schecter's sound, in general, and I've looked around and it seemed like a pretty reasonable buy, regardless of what model it is (low-end Schecters I've seen retail around $299-399 US). It says there's a small ding in the back, but I'm not planning on reselling this in the near future anyway.

Just what to know what more experienced people think (maybe there are a few Schecter users here?).
Last edited by di4gram at Aug 1, 2006,
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
You've played a schecter before, correct?

I just HATE their necks....but it is all preference! If you like it, it will be a good guitar!

Personally, I think the price is a bit high....it seems pretty used....

I played with one a bit, but not a great deal. What about their necks do you dislike?
i have the schecter c-1 +...... and let me tell u i have loved it ever since i have bought it........its fast as **** and is a real crowd pleaser as the looks are unbeatable...........man i have played gibsons before and also ibanez and all that, and let me tell you. schecter beats them all. man go for it as long as its a real schecter ull be happy. but be careful on ebay some are fakes:S
$$MaTt_9913$$
I have the C1-Elite. You will find your C1 a very nice upgrade over the Squier. The crappiest part of the guitar, namely the pickups, are still way better than a Squier. Hence you may have a great buy. The grapetech nuts are not stock, but they look well installed from the picture so that's a good bonus. The color is not common, so that's cool too. I think you will enjoy it, although the necks take a bit to get used to. Good once you do, but your fingering accuracy will drop a bit for a while. Action control on this guitar is great though, so you customize easily. But...really, you need a decent amp more than this guitar. You can get a reasonable Kustom brand amp for cheap.
Last edited by Imp at Aug 1, 2006,
i have a c-1+. i know what you mean when you said it feels uncomfortable cause when i first got it, it felt weird for me too. but once i got used to it, it was awesome.
i must disagree. ibanez>jackson>schecter=esp>fender>dean>gibson and they all lose to conklin. but schecters are still prety nice.
Quote by Imp
I have the C1-Elite. You will find your C1 a very nice upgrade over the Squier. The crappiest part of the guitar, namely the pickups, are still way better than a Squier. Hence you may have a great buy. The grapetech nuts are not stock, but they look well installed from the picture so that's a good bonus. The color is not common, so that's cool too. I think you will enjoy it, but...really, you need a decent amp. You can get a reasonable Kustom brand amp for cheap.

Yeah, amps are such a make-or-break part of the setup.

I've heard that getting a barebones amp and then rigging pedals to it is way better than getting one with built-in effects. True? So far, even the bass amp sounds decent with the pedal on it.

Also, is it worth it when I outgrow the pickups on the C1 to upgrade them? Right now they are DD, but do you think getting actual Duncans put on would bring it up? I want a guitar that is gig-worthy, eventually, and I don't want to buy another one for awhile after this unless absolutely necessary.
Last edited by di4gram at Aug 1, 2006,
Don't get amps with effects built in...it's a waste of your money.

But you don't want a completely cheap amp with no features or tone either....and amp with good tone is something a pedal will never get you.

As for pickups, only upgrade if you have a good setup to compliment it. Otherwise, you will not notice the difference.
Quote by di4gram
Yeah, amps are such a make-or-break part of the setup.

I've heard that getting a barebones amp and then rigging pedals to it is way better than getting one with built-in effects. True? So far, even the bass amp sounds decent with the pedal on it.

For effects, much of the time yes. The simple fact of the matter is, a pedal shines in it's respective area because that is all it has to do. A pedal will always outshine an amp effect (more control and easier to access.) However, you want a good amp for a lot of things. Your tone just doesn't sound right, and that problem is multiplied by the reverb created. Reverb is important for a good sound to boot. You really want an amp with the right features. I dropped 220 US on a brand new Kustom brand Amp.
Less than the guitar you just got on ebay, the effects are pretty decent, and it's good for small gigs. I don't gig personally, I'm a beginner playing wise, so it's actually a bit OFN for just my house.

http://www.kustom.com/amps/guitar/stage/quad65DFXcombo.asp

Whatever brand you go with, get a decent amp. It's WAY cheaper in the long run than pedals anyway. A good pedal is what, 75 US? So my amp is your bass amp plus 1.5 pedals. If you aren't sure, take your guitar to a shop and try it out. I think you will appreciate the difference. Finally, each pedal you add degrades the signal. If you have active electronics that's no big deal, but you got passives right now (pickups that ARENT battery operated). You dont want your signal going to crap by going through 12 pedals.
Last edited by Imp at Aug 1, 2006,
One more question: I see the C-1+, C-1 Elite, and all that stuff around for names. What is this one? I'm assumed it was just a C-1 out of the diamond series.
It will say on the bottom of the headstock. It looks to be an earlier model so i dunno. I play shecter (damien FR and S-1 elite). They r incredibly reliable and work well for multiple kinds of music. I play in a metal band and love the tones. I upgraded from a strat to a low end shecter (006 deluxe) and was blown away. They r quality guitars....look at my signature.
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
its an old regular C-1, one they discontinued, and no recontinued, its pretty good, just change the pickups
Go get your shovel.
Hey congratulations on getting the Schecter, they are best guitars out there for that price.

And a little off topic but does the link to the kustom website work for you all? Cause it freezez up my internet and I have to manually quit safari
I personally like the kneck on schecters very much... I've never seen a C-1 mind you. My C-1 Classic is very nice, so I assume you will be satisfied.

Also I just noticed SynGates7X sigged me...this pleases me.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
The feel is just very awkward for me.....I can't explain it....they just aren't comfortable to play for me.

im the same way. i wouldnt buy one because of the neck (which is why i recommend the X50 by washburn)

but the neck feels like my 12 string acoustic's neck.
but good luck though
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!