When you're playing a power chord like:
e---------
B---------
G---5----
D---5----
A---3----
E---------

Do you mute the E string by pushing your pointer finger up a little bit, or do you bring your middle finger up to mute it?
You don't have to mute E. With time and practice, you'll miss the string without even trying.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
You shouldn't really need to mute the E string. It's best if you just play the A, D, and G strings only. Requires a bit of control.
Just strike only those strings. if your playing a power chord liek that just strike those strings, don't worry about the others. I hope im right about his cause then ill be a noob.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
i would use my pointer finger
Quote by SchecterFreak
like i said..i feel like a dumass... oh!!! man you are refering to your abreviated name wow..i really feel stupid *blushes* god... sorry USHO.

man i feel like a **** now...
Quote by universal_man
i usually use my middle finger..

same here
I don't ask for much
Truth be told I'll settle for
A life less frightening, a life less frightening
well if i had to mute the strings id probably use my middle finger, but really you should work on not having to mute the string because itll make it sound cleaner if you arent hitting a muted string.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I usually use my middle finger, and the sound is pretty clear (I use a lot of distortion so the muted string isn't heard.)
when u palm mute a power chord, dont play the muted string if u are muting one, sounds bad
I don't ask for much
Truth be told I'll settle for
A life less frightening, a life less frightening
you shouldnt have to mute the E string. you should practice acurate picking. with practice you will be able to not even worry about the E string, you will just hit the A, D, and G. but until then, i would say mute the E with your thumb, i think that would be the easiest way. keep on practicing acuracy with your picking tho and you wont have to worry about it at all.
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
I use my middle finger for a lot of things...
Originally Posted by Eric 666
if I had sex with my clone...I'd have a big dick in my ass.

Quote by Final !mpact
I mean 'Really Retarded' in the nicest way possible by the way.

Member 37 Of The RHCP fanclub.
Bruce Springsteen Fan?
My Myspace
If your a fan of Tom Delonge you will use your middle, If your a fan of Billy Joe then you will use your pointer...
yeah with time you'll just miss the string, or you can just push up on the string with your first finger (one on the 3rd fret in this case) thats usually what i tend to do sometimes, but i tend to jsut miss the string now
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Tha' Get Away Driva' of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Quote by cheeksar
If your a fan of Tom Delonge you will use your middle, If your a fan of Billy Joe then you will use your pointer...

What if you hate both?
If you really have to mute, i'd say mute with your thumb.
Muting with ur middle thing.. Id say is stupid with that power chord..
Don't Sacrifice a Tree for the whole forest

Quote by jsxxx
just stroke up and down and experiment...find what feels right.
some people dont even use either middle or pointer finger...they can strum without touchin E string..
hahaha
i'll say no muting at all. control your strumming hand to hit those 3 strings.
Memoric is right. Learn to control your hand, you need to have control in your hand to play guitar, ESPECIALLY when playing powerchords or normal chords.
I use my thumb, but that's probably really bad technique. Most of the time I don't need to mute it cos I can just hit the right strings, but I like to mute it just in case.
you dont have to mute the string just practice strumming those 3 strings and you will start getting the hang of it. u can mute it if u want to but personally i think its easier just to strum those 3 strings
Quote by TheAdict310
What if you hate both?

Then you have a chance of learning something about music.

Don't use any fingers to mute anything, just don't hit that string.
Takamine EG531SSC - "Kim"
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - "Jessica"
-Texas Special Pickups
Crate Palomino v16 Class A Tube Amp

Well it's floodin down in Texas
Use your ball sack to mute it.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
Quote by AssassinLoki090
Use your ball sack to mute it.

That's funny, I just tried that last night.
Like most people have said you dont have to mute it but if your quite new to playing i advice that you would.

Even to this day i still mute it just incase i accidently hit and ive been playing for near enough 2 years.

Just use your "**** You finger".... (Middle-Finger just incase your like 9 or smoethin:P)
i mute with the pointer because my teacher said thats a better way to do it, but that was when i was learning you get used to just hitting the three strings but i still mute out of habit even though i dont need to
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
i can't mute my guitar cuz i play an electric like a classic with my thumb on the back of the neck behind my middle finger lol just learn to sturm OVER
\m/ >_< \m/

\m/ Laceration \m/

Quote by CSguitarvocal
I wish a thousand Lex Steele rapes upon you...

Quote by shawnson
Nuthin' like 12,000 inches of negro penis in the bum to set your musical taste right.