Page 1 of 6
why, if someone asks a question to do with someone not METALLLLL on here does everyone get so mad

"how can i sound like fall out boy" "what amps do taking back sunday use?"

and suddenly they get loads of abuse thrown at em

i personally dont like it. im more of a punk kid but i still respect em for it, they might not even like the badn and just want the tone.

just because a band arent firin off masculine solos all the time doesnt make them ****, or even faggots.
Last edited by andyroo_g at Aug 1, 2006,
We just don't care so much for bands that put the guitars behind anything else in the mix. The reason a lot of us like metal so much is because it's really the only guitar-based music left. So for someone to ask how thay can sound like bands where the guitars are barely audible over the vocals/keyboards/horn section is just insulting.
but fall out boy have just as much guitar

(im not sticking up for them its just there a prime example)

its simply that they dont have FACE SHREDDIN solos all the time
Quote by andyroo_g
why, if someone asks a question to do with someone not METALLLLL on here does everyone get so mad

"how can i sound like fall out boy" "what amps do taking back sunday use?"

and suddenly they get loads of abuse thrown at em

i personally dont like it. im more of a punk kid but i still respect em for it, they might not even like the badn and just want the tone.

just because a band arent firin off masculine solos all the time doesnt make them ****, or even faggots. punk bands could batter most of your METALLEURGH bands any day, but they dont go on about it or show off with wank solos.

You're a knob. I was behind you up until the until the last sentence, but then you went off and turned into a hypocrite.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
i know. maybe i was a bit out with the last sentence. i apoligise and ill delete that. im really sorry. i was just angry about how people are like HEY MOTHER****IN PANTERA COULD KILL YOU ANY DAY like it has anything to do with the music. gone now though =D
Quote by andyroo_g
but fall out boy have just as much guitar

(im not sticking up for them its just there a prime example)

its simply that they dont have FACE SHREDDIN solos all the time

I've listened to them (on MTV, but still...) and all I hear is a pop riff which suddenly gets drowned out by bass and vocals.
Quote by andyroo_g
i know. maybe i was a bit out with the last sentence. i apoligise and ill delete that. im really sorry. i was just angry about how people are like HEY MOTHER****IN PANTERA COULD KILL YOU ANY DAY like it has anything to do with the music. gone now though =D

To be honest, I prefer Pantera, but you're entitled to your opinion. It's just a lot of people think their opinion is the word of God.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
It's because a lot of metal bands have talent, bands like Fall Out Boy and Simple Plan just drop the E string to D and strum all notes
The majority of UG'ers have an IQ below 60 and are pre-pubescent/early teens, thus they are idiots that talk crap and cannot appreciate that different people like different things. They don't understand the concept of opinions and that what they say is not the word of God.
Last edited by codybcool at Aug 1, 2006,
Quote by codybcool
The majority of UG'ers have an IQ of 57 and are pre-pubescent/early teens, thus they are idiots and talk crap and cannot appreciate that different people like different things. They don't understand the concept of opinions and that what they say is not the word of God.

pretty much.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm

Dime would use different tunings all the time, but he'd always tune down a 1/4 step or something from that. eg/ standard A440hz, but a 1/4 step down.

And i hate to be an arse but Trivium are metalcore as opposed to metal.
I'm looking forward to the effect of The Crusade on UG. It's really going to split the metal forum, as about 45% are going to like it and accept that it's metal, 45% will deny it's metal because it's Trivium and they weren't metal before. So 5% will hate it and accept it's metal, and 5% will like it and deny it's metal.

That's what I think'll happen, anyway.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
It's going to be equally as crap as the last album, just with a couple of extra octaves with those 7 strings. Matt Heafy still won't be able to sing/scream well either. I agree about the metal forum though, it'll be funny to see the fresh influx of Trivium threads and flamings.
i dont know, ive never had a problem fitting in here and i appreciate but dont play metal.
maybe ur hanging out in the wrong sections.

know if u have a question then say it, otherwise statement threads are frowned down upon because they usually start agruments, God has spoken.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Jazz/Blues

Just throwing it out there.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
I hate fallout biy and taking back sunday because they suck, they cant play their instruments properly, much like Panic at the disco, MCR, funeral for a friend etc, basically emo, (not lost prophets though, they used to be good until the emo wave hit them ) emos just have some pretty boy line-up to get numbe rone in the charts, who cares if they can play, its all about fashion and trend with them, i LOVE metal, its all round the most talented genre not just in guitar but bass, drums, vocals everything, but i also love some good punk like the sex pistols, anti-flag, sum 41, less than jake, NoFX etc, and then theres blues, we dont only think metal is the genre that is good, but when you become a guitarist you start to listen to the guitar playing more, and if its sucky (fallout boy and taking back sunday etc) you dont like it if its good (Pantera, Black sabbath etc) you think its good, but some guitarists arent like this, personally i am though
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I hate fallout biy and taking back sunday because they suck, they cant play their instruments properly, much like Panic at the disco, MCR, funeral for a friend etc, basically emo, (not lost prophets though, they used to be good until the emo wave hit them ) emos just have some pretty boy line-up to get numbe rone in the charts, who cares if they can play, its all about fashion and trend with them, i LOVE metal, its all round the most talented genre not just in guitar but bass, drums, vocals everything, but i also love some good punk like the sex pistols, anti-flag, sum 41, less than jake, NoFX etc, and then theres blues, we dont only think metal is the genre that is good, but when you become a guitarist you start to listen to the guitar playing more, and if its sucky (fallout boy and taking back sunday etc) you dont like it if its good (Pantera, Black sabbath etc) you think its good, but some guitarists arent like this, personally i am though

You're a prick. It's not all about technical abillity, it's about how good it sounds, which is all down to opinion. So just shut up. I'm a guitarist, but I still listen to old Green Day, Alkaline Trio, Seether, Semisonic, and that's not all about shredding or sweeping or anything, that's about playing music that sounds good.
Quote by Mascot
yuR a fAggit
Quote by Black Hole Sun
I still listen to old Green Day, Alkaline Trio, Seether, Semisonic, that's about playing music that sounds good.

i've never heard anyone use the words "sounds good" and "green day" in a sentence before
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Quote by *kill'emall*
i've never heard anyone use the words "sounds good" and "green day" in a sentence before

Green day was awesome to me when I was thirteen. Then I realized that it's pretty basic and nothing spectacular, but it still was conductive to certain moods that were my thing at that age.

It just takes a bit of maturity to understand the point of bands outside of your chosen genre. In the end, every band that puts a CD out on the shelves is trying to market it to their core audience. Metalheads are just as much of a clique as emo kids, and playing a solo at twenty notes per second is just as much of a marketable skill as writing lyrics for a song that'll make every fourteen year old girl cream her panties when she hears it.

All this genre squabbling is silly. Guitar is a musical instrument, it's not a gauge of your manual dexterity, it's a tool for evoking emotion. A few powerchords or simple arpeggios most often do that better and with more clarity than an eight minute long technical shred jam.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
"This is what the Internet's for - Slandering others anonymously"
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
im just waiting for some kid to say "I saw Billy Joe Armstrong pwn Yngwie."

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
Quote by Jackson523
im just waiting for some kid to say "I saw Billy Joe Armstrong pwn Yngwie."

I saw Yngwie pwn a Big Mac
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I didnt say its about technical ability, i said guitarists can hear if the songs sound good, not "I only like technical ability" greenday, not amazing but can still play theyve been going for years, alkaline trio, what i've heard is well done, fallout boy, can play their instruments, they can do a barr chord and thing they're the shiz, so eat that, it seems its you whos the prick
Quote by edwardthegreat5
Jazz/Blues

Just throwing it out there.

You have no idea how refreshing that is.

I don't listen to or even like metal. Im not into screaming. i don't have to hear rip-your-face-off solos to like music. Im a huge indie fan, which may be suprising. Music isn't about the best playing musicians their instruments because they deserve the spot because they have the most talent. Its about playing what you like, expressing yourself and enjoying your music. For some it may be Pantera, and for some it may be Fall out Boy....i'd prefer if it wasnt fall out boy but hey whatever floats yer boat.
I can understand when lyrics take a front seat ahead of the guitar (Nirvana, Ramones), but when the lyrics don't mean anything (Simple Plan, Fall Out Boy) it's just a wasted sacrifice.
Dickless.
I think anyone who closes their mind to an artist/music based solely on the majority position (example, this forum) is a beat off. Fallout boy, Green Day, Nirvana, etc. have their place in music and unfortunately guitar forums.
I'll bet you there are more kids/adults/musicians playing those bands's music than anyone of the shredding bands listed or mentioned.
Quote by codybcool
The majority of UG'ers have an IQ below 60 and are pre-pubescent/early teens, thus they are idiots that talk crap and cannot appreciate that different people like different things. They don't understand the concept of opinions and that what they say is not the word of God.

Agreed. Ever heard something of so called "tolerance"? No? Then go dying.
Quote by Pearson
Um. NIRVANA. I hope kurt dies. Oh wait, he killed himself already.
In my 40+ years of playing guitar I think I have an ear for music. I listen to all kinds of music, music is music, and I love music. I find bands fall in two catagories no matter what genre.

Those who makes music and those who makes noises. Some of those who I think makes noises are probably your favorite bands. Sorry.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by Danno13
We just don't care so much for bands that put the guitars behind anything else in the mix. The reason a lot of us like metal so much is because it's really the only guitar-based music left. So for someone to ask how thay can sound like bands where the guitars are barely audible over the vocals/keyboards/horn section is just insulting.

I'm surprised at this comment from you. Usually you are pretty level headed. For one its closed minded with the "metal being the only guitar based music left" thing. Isnt the blues guitar based? What about jazz? How about rock? Metal isnt the only saving grace left for the guitar. At least I hope not. Not that I like fallout boy, but the guitar is definitly audible and forefront. Whoever said they were a "guitar band" anyway? They use guitars, yes. But so does the 'insert name here' band.
Quote by demea
I'm surprised at this comment from you. Usually you are pretty level headed. For one its closed minded with the "metal being the only guitar based music left" thing. Isnt the blues guitar based? What about jazz? How about rock? Metal isnt the only saving grace left for the guitar. At least I hope not. Not that I like fallout boy, but the guitar is definitly audible and forefront. Whoever said they were a "guitar band" anyway? They use guitars, yes. But so does the 'insert name here' band.

In Danno's defense, jazz and blues don't need to be based on the guitar. They are musical styles that place virtuosity in the forefront. For instance, Charlie Parker plays jazz, but you won't hear people talking about the awesome guitars in Charlie Parker's music because he's a sax player.

Though blues is often based on guitar, it isn't rare to hear a blues song with the harmonica or piano as the lead instrument. The blues is a musical style that is based in the 12 bar blues progression and the blues tempo, not just the electric guitar. Rock does need the electric guitar, I suppose. But there is a strong emphasis on vocals in rock music too.

However, metal is empty without growling electric guitars and face-melting guitar solos.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
i love metal just as much as the next guy, but i seem to find that metal fans and hardcore fans are the first to jump down someones throat about someone liking green day (for example). im not trying to stereotype anyone, im just saying that if you so much as mention greenday in a metal forum or hardcore forum, you've pretty much sentenced yourself to flamage for the rest of your UG life in those forums. I love all the oldies in metal, like metallica, megadeth, sabbath, and pantera (even though they arent old, they kinda had an old style to them), and alot of the newer bands to. but i also like green day, and a few of the other bands people consider to be "fag bands".now i used to be the type of person that would just automatically berate anyone that uttered fall out boy or taking back sunday, but ive recently grown up and realized that people can have different opinions than me, and seriously, what makes you guys like metal so much? is it the feeling you get when you listen to it? kinda like a musical high? so if we say that metal is your metaphorical drug of choice, who are you to tell to someone what they can or cant use to get their musical high?...mainly my point is that a majority of people have a severe lack of tolerance and disrespect for others opinions, and people need to grow up, shut up, and accept that other people don't agree with them (sorry if that was long)
Go get your shovel.