ok, so i need a new amp and my friend has a marshall 30w solid state. he doesn't use it any more so he's selling it.
i just wanted to ask you guys if it's worth buying cause i've heard marshall ss (like mg and avt) suck...
i think it's a valvestate II series, i think i heard on UG that marshall valvestate amps were nice amps for their solid stateness but i'm not sure. i don't remember the exact model but i checked heritage on marshall website and it's probably vs30r. anyone know something about it?
i use the 100 watt amp almost every day at school and let me tell it does alright for a solid state but still overdrive channel has gain and can pick up p.h easily on a fat strat with stock pickups but otherwise i find it has a bit of staleness to it compared to a tube amp
well it depends what kind of amp you're playing through right now to know if this would be an improvement to you. if u tell us what u have now we could all help more
Quote by tunasband
Who's ug?
ok, thanks... i'm not comparing it to marshall all tube amps. i'm just wondering if it's good as a ss amp.
righ now i have a ****ty 10w practice amp i got for nothing and i need something decent for practicing and maybe jamming with friends...
Last edited by 666_Belial at Aug 1, 2006,
well yeh its alright for jamming. ive used one for gigging and the venue we played at was echoey and frankly it got pretty crap because the treble was high and there practically was no bass in the amp at all
i have a valvestate2000 and i love it
the 100 watt version
the overdrives are nice but you cant get a real distortion sound from it. its a true overdrive amp.
^^that's ok, i don't need heavy distortion... i played a few times at my friend's through this amp and it seemed to have enough gain for me. it's just that i'm not very experienced with amps so i wanted to hear other people's opinions...
utter bull****.
ok it can be allright if you get a good deal of it used. but if you buy one of those new they're ****ing overpriced sons of bitches.

they'd be alright if they cut the price tag by half.. meh...
how much is he asking for it? how much do you have to spend?
What you will hear at UG will almost always be "get tube". Im surprised, that no one mentioned that yet. I have the AVT100 and I love it. Plus Ive played the VS30 and I can tell you, that it is not bad at all! Id say, go for it
i'm getting a used one. marshall doesn't make those amps any more. now they have MGs which i heard they suck (to AmIEvil)... btw, i don't know how much he's asking for it... i think he won't be asking much...
Quote by 666_Belial
i'm getting a used one. marshall doesn't make those amps any more. now they have MGs which i heard they suck

dude i have an mg250dfx and i loveeee it!
Quote by JadeFalcon5

those are overpriced sons of bitches aswell
Quote by JadeFalcon5

i've heard they sound pretty good at low volumes but go ****ty when louder... then again, that's just what most people on UG say, i didn't try an MG so i can't tell...
Quote by azn_guitarist25
reliability is a bit of a questionable matter as well

^^with MGs or with the one i'm planning to buy?
i guess you're talking about MGs (at least i hope so)...
yep im talking about MG's the vavlestate i use hasnt broken down and ive regularly put the gain up and do pinches most of the time and it still last me 3 years on
Quote by 666_Belial
^^with MGs or with the one i'm planning to buy?
i guess you're talking about MGs (at least i hope so)...

kinda both
How much money are you willing to spend on this amp, and or how much is your friend asking for it used?

You might be able to just afford a better amp.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster (Sunburst Finish)
Washburn X-Series Electric (Black Finish)
Ibanez Electric-Acoustic (Black Finish)
Ariana Acoustic

Randall RX120D Halfstack
I have an AVT50 Valvestate2000 amp and I love it. Nothing wrong with it. Nice cleans and some pretty fat crunch.
High as tits
don't know yet, it's not that i'm in a rush to buy it and neither is he to sell it... anyway, i think it's about 5 years old but not used very often lately. how much should it's price go down from the price when it was new?
quite a lot i think, not sure tho. ask your friend to make the first offer. then its just bargain. if you think he asks a low price dont be like "DUDE ITS A DEAL" but be like "meh..." and maybe you can get an even better bargain