Hey guys Ive been told I need to improve my tone (hear it in the link in my sig). At the minutes its just cube 60>Guitar, i occasionaly use a fab overdrive and i have a wd7 coming soon. I have a budget of around £55 ish to spend. At the minute im thinking of an ehx metal muff. Opinions? BTW My guitars a start copy but Im getting an ibanez rg321mh pretty soon and no i dont want to change the pick ups.

EDIT: Oh yeah and i cant try many pedals out as my 2 local shops only have a few.
The cube 60 should produce enough gain for a metal sound, no pedal required. Even though you don't want to replace the pickups, that would probably be the best way to improve your tone. Learning how to properly eq your amp is another option. Try placing the mic differently next time you record to get a better recording sound (I've heard it helps. I don't record).

Honestly though, who cares if someone said your tone sucks? It's not like you're making a living on your music. Tell him/her to give you some money for new equipment if they care that much.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Well I'm damn sure the new guitar will drastically improve your tone compared to a Strat copy, so wait a bit...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
a good, cheap way to improve your tone is to buy a high quality cable like a monster cable. i switched from a fender cable to a monster cable and my tone improved an ashtonishing ammount for only paying $40. thats the best cheap way to improve your tone.
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
Im thinking about an rp-80. Opinions?

Edit: Maybe that was too brief. Im looking at the digitech rp-80. Mainly because it has alot of effects that i like but Im most interested in the whammy. Is it any good? If not I might get a real whammy for christmas this year if its worth the real thing (which it probably is). Dammit I don't know what pedal to get as my amp has chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, delay and reverb built in. Any help?
Last edited by duggyrocks at Aug 1, 2006,
Get a nice wah pedal instead of the rp-80. You already have loads of effects on your amp, so you don't really need a multi-effect pedal.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
hmm wahs are kinda meh and they shouldnt be used often. Get somthing to immediatly change your tone now.

Wait for the new guitar, save up the money
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
Quote by JET116
hmm wahs are kinda meh and they shouldnt be used often. Get somthing to immediatly change your tone now.

Wait for the new guitar, save up the money

What if he plays funk? He NEEDS a wah, man!
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
Quote by duggyrocks
I am getting a wah, a weeping demon, but im looking something else. Maybe a zoom G-2 or something. What about a boss pedal like a D-2 or D-1. As you can see I'm no expert on pedals.

The weeping demon isnt great. Try a Vox Wah.

The cube doesnt take pedals too greatly (except of course, wah).

I suggest grabbing a new guitar, and eventually a new amp.

EQ it a bit. Also, as said before dont put it right in front of the speaker, put it off to the side or top a little bit. That way less mids and highs mess with your signal.
Your tones fine, nice harmony in "up in flames". How long have you been playing?

BTW you might want to change the intervals you use in your harmonization, It sounds like alot of 3rds to me. Try inverting the intervals to add flare to it.
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
Last edited by ClayJohnson at Aug 2, 2006,
A good chord will drastically improve your tone, as well as a new set of strings, and some nice picks.
^ A good cable will not drastically improve your tone, c'mon. An amp would drastically improve it. A new guitar would improve it a fair bit. A pedal too. But not a cable. It would give you slightly better tone but not that kinda improvement he's looking for I believe.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by davedoom
I would say a Cube is like polishing a turd, you can only do so much!

That didnt make any sense at all.
Quote by davedoom
I would say a Cube is like polishing a turd, you can only do so much!

Erm, what?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
The Cube is far from a peice of turd, but I agree to some extent. In my oppinion there isn't a lot you can do to modelling amps if you don't like the basic tone they throw out. I've come the opinion unless you're playing ALOT of metal they're are better amps out there for some then the Cube - the Vox AD50 for example.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by SamDking
^ A good cable will not drastically improve your tone, c'mon. An amp would drastically improve it. A new guitar would improve it a fair bit. A pedal too. But not a cable. It would give you slightly better tone but not that kinda improvement he's looking for I believe.

Ah I suspect you have never tried a handmade boutique chord, I know a guy that makes them and they can run for a couple hundred bucks. Try telling him a chord doesnt make that much off a difference.
Umm, the guitar will help a bit. A wah wont improve your tone, it'll make you able to play songs with wah, because its not always on unless you like nasal tone. Getting a new amp would definately improve your tone. I have the Cube 60 too and it was a great improvement from the MG15CD I was using before but now it leaves me with something to desire. All of the amp models sound too similar, the EQ is crap, the gain control barely does anything etc..
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.