right im in the process of learning scales and understanding them i just need to clear something up.

Right. the pentatonic minor scale has like 5 positions (right?) so if i play Aminor pentatonic scae i start at fret 5 and play the first position then fret 8 for the second position an so on (i think im right with that?)

Then my real question is if im playing a major scal of say A, i take form shown on this page: http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/basic/page2.php
and do i just play it at the 5th fret and this is the only position?, there are no other different positions up or down the neck like there is for the pentatonic and is this the same for minor scales aswell?

if i am confusing you specify wot u want me to describe to u so u can help me.
Yes - the pentatonic scale has 5 different positions starting on a different note of the scale.

And no, every scale can be played throughout the whole fretboard, not just restricted to one single pattern like that - it's the same for every scale.
You can play any scale in any position, all over the neck A scale is not the same as a position or box or whatever! A scale consists of notes, and those notes are all over the fretboard
im not sure if u understand my question or maybe im confused,
im saying can a mojor only be played 5th fret and that is the form of it and thats it, then its just a different major scale if you move up a fret or down a fret. theres no other positions of a major scale like there is for the pentatonic if u understand me, ill put another post up with wot im talking about be right back
right so this is wot i mean here, tere are different patterns for the pentatonic scale so you play the first pattern then u can move to a different pattern, as shown here with all the patterns on the neck, http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/minor-pentatonic/index.php

i want to know if when u play a major scale are there any other patterns liek the pentatonic has or is it just that one pattern and thats it?
I've said it already... every scale has more than one 'pattern'.

So yes, the major scale has different patterns like the pentatonic.
Im learning patterns of the Pent scales as well. I know that an A minor Pentatonic can start on the fifth fret on the 6th string and you just work your way up the scale. And if you were to play a Bminor Pent Scale you just move up two frets and repeat the same patter. But my question is, lets say you wanted to locate all A minor Pent scale postions all over the neck, how would you go about doing this...would I just locate any other A on the neck and repeat the same notes? If so, I would not know the pattern to go about doing this. Is there any easy way that you can easily play each position of the A minor pent scale just by locating any A?
i wasnt talking bout leanin the pentatonic scale, i was talkin bout learnin all the different patterns of the major scale up and down the neck, i still havent reall figured it out but hey, wot can u do? i'll figure it out sumday im sure, lol
He explained it a couple of posts above... I'm very new to theory and scales as well, so I'm trudging through like yoruself, still waiting for the light to come on. I can understand it slowly, with a map of the fretboard in front of me, but there's no way I could figure out the notes/scales/patterns on the fly like in improvising. I know it's memorization and repetition, but that has to be hundreds/thousands of hours getting to the point where you can do it without thinking, in various keys, various scales, modes etc.

For someone that has only played guitar (by ear/tab), never played an instrument in a band in school or piano where you learned music theory, etc. it's very intimidating and daunting. I know it's like a 2nd language to many of you, but for those of us trying to learn it on our own, have some patience for noob/stupid questions.

Now to the original poster, to state it simply, the pentatonic scale has 5 patterns that cover the fretboard for whatever key, and repeat in different places depending on different keys, which you understand. The guy above said it, but EVERY scale (minor, pentatonic, major, blues, etc.) have various patterns, exactly the same as the pentatonic. I'm sure you can find those patterns on the net or from the links posted. All scales work exacly the same way as the 5 pentatonic patterns, the difference is the patterns are different. At least that's my understanding (VERY limited! lol)

Hope that's clear.
John
Gibson 2017 Les Paul Traditional HP
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Ibanez '77 Les Paul Standard
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401
BiasFX/Amplitube
Let's continue to use the A minor pentatonic scale as our example.

The Am Pent. scale contains the following notes:

A C D E G

That means, if you were to play a solo or lead or something that is entirely within the Am Pent. scale, the only notes you'd play would be A, C, D, E, and G, in different octaves. But those are the only notes you'd play.

Those notes are found all over the fretboard. These patterns, boxes, or positions for scales are only tools to help you memorize where the notes are. If a guitarist could memorize the entire fretboard, then he or she would have much lessened need/use for these box patterns, because he or she would know that each scale (regardless of the type) contains certain notes, and the guitarist knows exactly where the notes are located. Boxes are just tools, and really, it would be to the benefit of any player to know what notes he or she was playing when running through those patterns. I say them aloud to myself when I'm warming up. Hopefully it'll stick eventually
^ i thought you could put in a few diff notes to spice things up, no?
any notes in particular you should avoid in certain scales ? ie; Am pen?
I always find that the major third is the hardest of the none-scale tones to make sound right. (assuming it's a minor type scale/mode) I suggest you leave that one out!

In any major type scale/mode, I suggest don't using the b3

Of course, every note can sound good with the proper phrasing, but those notes are the hardest to sound nice
^You can use the major third along with minor pentatonic really effectively if the progression is in a major key. I love it.

There's nothing you should *avoid* - you shouldn't have 'Avoid this note' in your head... it completely depends on the context you're playing within.
^I don't use minor pentatonics over major keys (if Aminor penta over a progression in A is what you mean?)
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
No... I mean relative minors. If you're playing in C fiddling about with the Cmaj penta, I tend to sometimes drift into emphasizing the A over the C chords and stick a major 3rd in quickly and drift back over into C.

Basic example but you should see how it works.

Btw, listening now... will give you a full crit later tonight.
Oh, like that! Yes, that's pretty nice
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje