Hey, I learned all 7 diatonic scales and major/minor pentatonic, but when I play through them they sound very blues-y, but I'd like to expand my sonic versatility, so what scales sound best for a metal, Metallica/Iron Maiden like solo? I also play at a moderate speed, whats a good way to build up speed, just keep practising?

Also, this weekend I'm going up to a guitar store to test out amps but I'm a bit ...self-concious of my playing, I don't think I'm bad I just get nervous I'll sound bad or **** up, so, what do you guys play when you're testing out amps? Thanks, have a good day.
minor Pentatonic and Phrygian are good
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
hey man im not to good at scales lol so i cant answer that one but the testing thing im very self concious to and i usually just play some heavy metal rythms there hard to screw up lol wel have fun peace
play yngwies arppegios from hell its not that hard and its impressive.

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
As an extension, I know how certain scales are supposed to sound but whenever I play it just sounds like blues...how do I make a scale sound like it should? Is it in the way I play it, the speed or am I missing something?
Make sure you emphasise the root note of the scale, and also the degrees which make the scale stand out - IE the b2nd is a big part of the Phrygian scale's individual sound, so emphasise the b2 note.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!