ive written alot of guitar stuff for my band, but im curious how u people do it, if u do....
i usually just play random stuff till i get something that sounds good, (a riff) then hear in my head what would go well next, then change it to make it a different rifff, is there better ways?
That sounds like a good way to do it. I usually do it that way, but mostly find myself building a song around 1 riff, wich probaly isnt the best way, but when it works its the best way.
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
I just look at other peoples songs, learn them, then when i'm messing around i'll come up with something that sounds simmilar but different and i like.

My method sucks, i'm the most un-creative person ever.
Need.New.Sig.
its been said a million times before, but its worth repeating....

learn some theory, not necessarily even a lot but i would recommend learning your scales and what the relative positions of the notes are in the scale so you get a better understanding of how things work.

me personally i play around with whatever scale feels right conveying the feeling i'm trying to present and use a bit of theory here and there to augment the overall tonality....
i know some theory, i took piano till grade 5, and in high school, but im not that good... what kind of theory things should i work on? chords and scales?
fool around till you get something you like.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

scales like that one guy said if you do it in a set of scales and base it around that everything will be coheesive
One fun thing to do, for rock purposes, is to:

a) Start a major pentatonic, then at some point hit the 5th note (relative minor in the pentatonic) and start a minor pentatonic progression from there.

Or

b) Do the reverse, start on the 2nd note of the minor pentatonic and do a major progression.

EX:

use notes C D E G A -> Go to Am pentatonic on any A.
Takamine EG531SSC - "Kim"
Fender Mexican Stratocaster - "Jessica"
-Texas Special Pickups
Crate Palomino v16 Class A Tube Amp

Well it's floodin down in Texas
Thats a great way to make songs Nice and natural, they just click in your head. You can always change them and add things too. I think if you sit down and start writing things out it tends to loose its spontanious appeal.