Well I am really bad at bar chords i'm trying to learn Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson and when i saw the bar chords my hopes and dreams crashed and burned. When I try and play bar chords my finger just can't press on all 6 strings hard enough, what can I do to strengthen my fingers or does anybody have tips?

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
It really just takes a lot of practice to build alot of hand and finger strength but there is some little device thing called 'grip master' i think that can be used to work out your hands and even build callouses i think. But just keep practicing and after while you should be able to play barres with no problem.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
If you keep playing like "F F# G G# A A#... etc etc" and then back, soon you'll find out that bar chords are not hard to play. But... You could always use a capo.
...buy this car to drive to work... drive to work to pay for this car...

We've got eyes that leave us in places we don't see...

...!
you can do finger push-up's.
jk lol I had the same problem, just keep practicing and it will come to you. Trust me. Practice "Stray Cat Strut" that is how I learned my bar chords.
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Dean Custon Zone Electric Guitar
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
Some tips to guide you on your way:

1) make sure that all the strings avoid the joints in your finger if you can as it will be more difficult to make them ring.

2) Practice bar chords at first lower down the neck to help build your finger strength where you can play them cleanly.

3) Slightly roll your finger away from you so the strings connect with the side of the finger not the flat of it.

4) Keep practicing and don't give up, every guitar player goes through this and once you've managed to play one it's one of the big guitar 'breakthrough' moments.
ya, i remember the first time i had to play barre chords and it was halfway into the song and my hand was killing me. But then after a few days of practicing them it starts to loosen and you get good at them. Its the same for 'Under the Bridge' by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Without the capo, you have to really stretch and after the intro its all barre chords. But once you got it down it will feel awesome. BTW, banana Pancakes is an awesome song. Really easy too.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by shok_411
Some tips to guide you on your way:

1) make sure that all the strings avoid the joints in your finger if you can as it will be more difficult to make them ring.

2) Practice bar chords at first lower down the neck to help build your finger strength where you can play them cleanly.

3) Slightly roll your finger away from you so the strings connect with the side of the finger not the flat of it.

4) Keep practicing and don't give up, every guitar player goes through this and once you've managed to play one it's one of the big guitar 'breakthrough' moments.

+1 to all those tips
Quote by Dæmönika
Quote by italynlprkn
yo tambien
What the hell's a tambien?
Quote by Oblivion_Rps
its like basic math. 1 + -1 = 1
Everything comes with time and practise. I remember trying to play Top Of The World from th tab book i have and it took me about 3 weeks to play one bar chord kinda correctly and theres 4 in a row and they swich quicker than i could. I practised alot and now i can do it so pretty much just practise. I'm trying it on Bass now and i really can't do it. Anyways good luck!!!
Danielle xx
This is unrelated but a good finger strength/speed exorcise is to take the open E string and to

1h2p1h3p1h4p1h3p1h2p1 and just repeat over and over again. It's an easy exorcise and soon you'll be doing it faster than youd ever believe