i suck horribly at figuring out songs while listening to them and such.

any suggestion/tips on how to get better at this???

thanks in advance
yeah me too............... anybody?
The UG Eric Clapton Fan Club
Member: 2
PM clapton-floyd to join
sure though i would like to point out that this comes with time, knowing your scales and intervals and general practice, i was playing for about 6 years before i could hear something and instantly know what was going on (a favorite past time of mine now actually is hearing a brand new song and figuring out how to play it without looking at the tab)
but some easy ways to start.....

1) try to listen for chords you've played before, is it major or minor? if it's major does it have the full c major type sound or the brighter D major type sound (C major includes the A string and adds a little more low end than a D major played open)

2) try to pick out the scale, once again, really basic, is it major or minor? does it sound really happy or sad?

3) Figure out the root key, most modern music doesn't modulate too much, so you can prolly play the root note in a syncopated pattern over the song and it will blend well

4) pay attention to the movement, is the melody ascending or descending? (does the pitch go up higher or down lower?)

5) use what you know about the musician, do you know if they recorded the whole album in drop C#? do they tune to standard E like old school metallica or Eb like Hendrix? generally a majority of an album will be in the same tuning range

6) Use your music theory, common movements in blues include a I-IV-V movement so does it sound like a I-IV-V? maybe a I-III-V in a major (happy) or minor (sad) type movement?

7) RECOGNIZE INTERVALS!!! i highlight this because once you get used to hearing not just the notes but the space between notes & once you figure out the root key of the song (or movement) you can pick out virtually every other note quickly and easily with little or no error at all this is probably the most difficult thing to do for beginners and takes a lot of time just playing and listening to music to do (unless of course you were gifted with perfect pitch at birth, but most of us weren't)

first i would recommend starting slow, try figuring out a nirvana song or maybe some skynyrd maybe something like 'polly' or 'sweet home alabama' or 'simple kind of man'

as i said above, i learn a new song almost everyday and started ear training myself with the above techniques. I hope this helps
I 100% agree with the interval recognition. I practiced my intervals until I wanted to eat my guitar, and then rejoiced when I realized that figuring out songs, even while listening to them (literally for the first time), was no longer difficult. This will also make you much better at playing with others.
Im trying to do this and i have worked out some things, I just need to practise more. The advice above is really good, also start with simple songs (using chords you know well such as power or major minor chords) and when you can work out these songs move on to more difficult songs etc and then try melodys and leads. Try and hum the chords or riff before you try and work it out on your guitar and see if it goes higher or lower in pitch. The more songs you start working on the better you will become
Quote by oklabrian
I 100% agree with the interval recognition. I practiced my intervals until I wanted to eat my guitar, and then rejoiced when I realized that figuring out songs, even while listening to them (literally for the first time), was no longer difficult. This will also make you much better at playing with others.

exactly!!! this is how i am now, when i hear something on the radio about 95% of the time i can instantly pick out the key, chord progression and how it's played the VERY first time i hear a song (i did this with "through the glass" by stone sour, not a really difficult song but a good example of a good song) i really enjoy the fact that i can just hear something on guitar and visualize in my head how to play it before i even pick up the guitar. and it definately does help when playing with other people