ive been hankering after one of these for a long time now and went to the guitar shop to play one today.

it was only 99 quid which seems like an awfully small amount of money.

but all i could find that wasnt up to scratch seemed to be the tuners, which were a pile of ****. but even at 40 50 quid on ebay for some grovers, that still doesnt seem like a bad deal.

is there a dark secret lurking inside them that i dont know about or something? ......
epi ones suck, you can get a gibson les paul JR for only about 600, and i think some decent epi ones for about 300 i think. those 99 and 150 dollars epiphones are plywood and complete crap.

but ya, if you really want an LP jr, you should save for the gibson, theyre very very cheap for gibsons and have full gibson quality, or teh 300 or so for a nice epiphone jr. any epiphone under 100 is probly plywood, which is a joke.
Last edited by rancidrancid142 at Aug 1, 2006,
They have crappy pickups and are made of a Alder/Maple Laminate.

But if you plan on fixing it up(new tuners,pups, paint job), then that's a pretty good deal.

EDIT-
Quote by rancidrancid142
epi ones suck, you can get a gibson les paul JR for only about 600, and i think some decent epi ones for about 400 i think. those 99 and 150 dollars epiphones are plywood and complete crap.

but ya, if you really want an LP jr, you should save for the gibson, theyre very very cheap for gibsons and have full gibson quality. any epiphone under 100 is probly plywood, which is a joke.

The Gibson Jrs aren't really that good either, they're pretty much the same thing, except, they're all mahogany and carry the Gibson name. And the epi models are not made of plywood.

And Gibson makes fine guitars, but they cost more than they should, so cheaper Gibsons tend to be $300 for the guitar and $400 for the "Gibson" name on the headstock.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Last edited by edwardthegreat5 at Aug 1, 2006,
Quote by andyroo_g
woo cheers =]

great answer =D

they good guitars then (the gibsons?)

good enough for green day to play in front of 60,000 people. (the gibsons). actually he might have a more customized one, but i played a gibson jr, its great. i highly reccomend saving the 600 or so for the gibson if youre serious about gettin a jr, cus theyre great value.
yeah doesnt he play a special? aw im confused now. =[. but i know carl barat plays a junior. and i love him =]
the huge pros have more custmoized ones, but its basically the same guitar, very similar sound and everything.
just get a used Gibson studio that would be much better in so many ways
Quote by rancidrancid142
good enough for green day to play in front of 60,000 people. (the gibsons). actually he might have a more customized one

The guy from Green Day uses a '57 Junior. The new ones that he uses are custom shop.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Quote by MrHigh
just get a used Gibson studio that would be much better in so many ways

no i dont like it as much

its far too heavy and far too large for the amount i throw myself about on stage

also i like the fact that it only has one pick up. when i only use the bridge pickup anyway it kinda makes sense.

and i just plain like the look of em
My advice to you would be to get the Jr in whatever color you want, then replace the pups with something worthwhile.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?

i know it's got two humbuckers, but i suggest u pick up a studio epi. about $300USD.

its mahogany wt alder core. and stays in tune.
the lower end epi's are tonewood (plywood) or laminate over wood.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
how are they weightwise?

one of the things i love about the jr so much is how light and small it is
For $600, you could get a much better guitar. I'd suggest looking elsewhere. Unless of couse you're hellbent on that greenday look.
its really nothing to do with the green day look

just my love of les pauls/small-light guitars

a completely free choice i hope =]
well the mahogany epis are heavy. thats just how it is.

if weight is an issue, u can look at the epiphone ULTRA, or a chambered AGILE guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Les Paul and light don't really go together. Check out what JJ said though If weight is that much of a problem. The whole point of a Les Paul is to have the thick heavy body. That's where the tone comes from.
wow. the ultra looks amazing. although doesnt it just sound really thin? looks like it would.
You'll lose some of the thickness in the tone, but it won't sound thin with the humbuckers.
no not thin. its a nice sound. plus its all mahogany.
the ultra is one of my fav epis. one of the only epis not to fall in price this year.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62