Page 1 of 2
I was wondering how often you change your picks, and if there is any reference, for example you should change strings every 4 weeks or so, or is it just personal preference?
I don't "change picks" I get new ones when I lose one.

So far I haven't had to throw one away though.

Right now I have about 40 different picks that I use lying around the house.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
when they go blunt, bass strings eat plectrums
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by SilentNighteer
I was wondering how often you change your picks, and if there is any reference, for example you should change strings every 4 weeks or so, or is it just personal preference?

your kidding right? just throw away if you start to dent them
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
When I lose one.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
i dont really replace picks, i have 10 or so i have in my wallett, and when i need one, i grab one and when it cracks, or breaks, i get rid of it.

so it depends on how much i use it.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
The logo wears off in like a day. That would start to add up in $$$. Thats like saying when you scratch a guitar its time for a new one.
Quote by astrocreep71
I use dunlop Tortex picks(.60 mm). When the logo wears off, the pick is done.

i do the same thing- i find my medium tortex jazz picks get too thin if i dont

Are you guys serious? After the logo wears off?
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
uhhh...the logo wears of pretty quick. guys youo aren't wearing the pick down, you are wearing down the paint on the pick. Big difference. i just use picks till i lose them or till they get really really bent...even then i use them if i can't find any others around the house. Then i clean the house and i find all the lossed picks giving me anouther round of picks!
Rig: Gibson Les Paul Studio into Ibenez Tubescreamer to Boss DD-20 to a Gibson GA-20RVT runned of an Orange 2x12. Soon getting a Vox AC-15 into an orange 2x12 for the chimy clean.
better question....does it really matter? picks are like 50 cents a piece, you can buy 100 if you want, or if you think your pick is lucky, you can use it till it is no more. I personally, have picks all over my room and just pick one up depending on where I am.
Break it down and then break it up again
Me and my guitar drowning down and down
I score my pics with a razorblade. When the scoring feels smooth, I usually change. But I don't throw pics away because I lose so many.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I score my pics with a razorblade. When the scoring feels smooth, I usually change. But I don't throw pics away because I lose so many.

Great minds think alike. I cut a little tic-tac-toe looking box into my picks with a pen knife. I used to throw away my picks when I used Fender California Clears. I went through a whole pack in a week and immediately switched over to Dunlop Tortex . Now I just leave a bunch hanging around the house and keep a few in my wallet so I just use whichever is nearby. I've never thrown away a tortex pick.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Quote by auranos
Great minds think alike. I cut a little tic-tac-toe looking box into my picks with a pen knife. I used to throw away my picks when I used Fender California Clears. I went through a whole pack in a week and immediately switched over to Dunlop Tortex . Now I just leave a bunch hanging around the house and keep a few in my wallet so I just use whichever is nearby. I've never thrown away a tortex pick.

Same here. I use .60 and .73 Tortex. They're great. I've never broken one of them, they don't really "blunt," they just get smooth, which is why I score them.
Hi, I'm Peter
When i lose one.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
Quote by Roc8995
Never. Brass picks FTW.

what about when you loose one? what does that cost you?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
i think theres a pick gremlin in my house cuz my picks always disappear....but yea..i just play with wutever pick i could find...also..i found out today that SAMASH pics are very very flammable..
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
I play my .73mm Dunlop ones until they break or get lost then i get another one of my 10. When they run out I'll buy some more. Matt.
Quote by ma04hew
I play my .73mm Dunlop ones until they break or get lost then i get another one of my 10. When they run out I'll buy some more. Matt.

I do exactly the same thing, except I lose mine rather than break them

Dunlops .73mm FTW!
i buy 12 packs... then months later i lose most, give most away or most of them are too smooth to get a good grip of and then i buy another 12 pack
I stick medium grit sandpaper to all of my picks (i use the kind with self adhesive on the back) when the sandpaper wears down and becomes smooth i throw the pick into my box of discarded picks.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I use 1 pick all the time for my Strat, I just love it, it has sentimental value to me, and it's a really cool colour.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I have 13 picks atm, all of different sizes (I prefer lighter ones for Acoustic and Heavier for Electric), and if I loose any, I buy new ones. 3 For £1 at my store.
I use Dunlop Sharp Tortex (best pick, EVAR). I buy them in lots of 24 off ebay. These 24 picks will last me around 4 months at a time, As the pick starts off godly, and after heavy heavy heavy use it still resembles the shape of a standard tortex.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Dirk Gently
Same here. I use .60 and .73 Tortex. They're great. I've never broken one of them, they don't really "blunt," they just get smooth, which is why I score them.

^ proof that you don't have to use picks thicker than 1 mm to be cool .
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
I only buy new plectrums when I lose all of my others. I use 1mm Nylon Dunlops.

I change my strings every 2-3 months and use Fast Fret to keep them in good condition.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
I switch when they start to round off at the "sharp" tip, which is every 2 weeks or so.
i just have picks lying all over teh house. A few here and there and in my wallet. I use the matchpiks .60 for my epi les paul. And i find that they dont just wear down to nothing. Maybe the way most of you guys play that hardcore power chord crap on your schectors (or however you spell that) but i can see why they wear down. And, i do a lot of fingerpicking (over half) so its not like i use them consantly.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I use like... 1.14 Picks. So they never dent. None of my main ones have the logo anymore even. Sometimes if I see an edge has been raped, I use the other edge.

Im so cheap.
i use those dunlop green 1.5 picks with teh gator on them, they don't dent or anything
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by tubadude
what about when you loose one? what does that cost you?

I don't lose them. Ever. I got 6 for $10 a year ago and I still have all 6.
After I changed to Dunlop Tortex 1mm I've been using the same two picks for about three months. They are quite good for hard hitting, but they suck and fast playing and shreding.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
I use the Dunlop .96mm that has this grip thingy on it, when that wears off it just slips out of your fingers, thats the time to buy some more. I dont throw it away though, they can be useful when you cant buy new ones.

But with the thicker ones, when they start to splinter and stuff.
Page 1 of 2