Right now I'm playing with this band that's all younger dudes who are decent but not amazing. Like me. I'm a good singer, I know a good amount about the "artistic" aspect of music and how you can apply theory to it, and I am a decent rhythm guitarist. However I have some offers to play with people (and record with them) who are not only competent but really freaking good. And I want to pursue it, but it's just taking time getting everyone together and stuff, everyone works and is busy. So I'm just in this other band for now to get some perfoming experience and to play with people, because I like that.

Anyway, we were trying to come up with names and I was like "guys, this is just a joke thing, let's just pick something, it's not like we're all going to be in this band forever, let's just play under a name. coldplay's first gig, they didn't have a name and played under "starfish" -- that's terrible, but whatever, do what you gotta do." and they all agreed.. as a spin-off name we suggested Seahorse. I got a lot of laughs out of it, and I don't think they're trying to take it very seriously either, so I think it's a good sign.

Basically, I'm not trying to humiliate anyone in the band, but I want them to know this is a temporary thing and I'm just doing it for funsies. And when I'm with a band that's my priority, over anything else... when there's a performance pending (and there is) then we need to get together and get our stuff done because I'm not going to allow myself to put on a bad show because I didn't practice hard enough.

I just don't want to stay with them. But I like them.

What do I tell em?
Quote by alaub1491
uhhh i dont want to stay with you guys forever. Lets just be friends? (slowly draw an awkward grin)

Yeah...basically try to explain it in a non-threatening way so you guys can stay friends. Say you don't have time and you need to pursue other things, but you'd like to drop by and watch some of their shows sometimes. Maybe make a guest appearance at one of their gigs or just jam every now and then.