Hey I have question.

I'm buying a used guitar from someone, it's a Washburn X9. But the seller let me try out the guitar for a bit before I buy it. The strings are a bit rusted which is not a problem, but there's visible dirt on some of the frets, on the body between the pickups, and some on the pickups. I was wondering before I try cleaning it what i should use to clean it and what i shouldnt, because im afraid I may damage the pickups or the fretboard if i use a damaging substance.

Thanks
Last edited by bh_rocker at Aug 1, 2006,
Is it dirt or dust? Cuz dust you can just wipe away with a cloth.
I am Puddin' Taine! of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join!

Member #1 of the Ipods Suck Balls Club

Member #2 Of the Parker>All Other Brands Club, PM dementedpuppy to Join.
Nope, it's dirt that wont come off when I try to wipe it off with a dry cloth. I didnt know if i should use a damp cloth or what. I just don't want to damage the fingerboard, body, or the pickups of the guitar.
You could try a damp cloth. Just don't get the pickups soaked. Probably would work. As for the fretboard and rest of the body, a damp cloth will work fine. Just remember to dry it off if there's any water left on it.
I am Puddin' Taine! of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join!

Member #1 of the Ipods Suck Balls Club

Member #2 Of the Parker>All Other Brands Club, PM dementedpuppy to Join.
Thanks a bunch! I know that there are many substances that can damage your guitar, but i wanted to know what I should do from someone who knows what he'/she's talking about.

Again, thanks, the guitar looks like new now!
take the strings off, then use a damp cloth....dont do it with the strings on....cos u'll end up with rusty strings again
The strings needed changing anyways, so what i cleaned the guitar with the strings on since i know that taking off all the strings at once is not a good idea.
For the fretboard, I use that Dr Stingfellow's lem oil stuff and it works good.

Smells nice too!
By crook or fist I'll lather up your gracious smile.
And take my time...