ok well im writing a song and well its not a happy song
and i just need some new chords to work with
so i want some sad chords and if ur wondering what im talking about heres an example

Major=Happy
Minor=Sad

please respond
i am gonna assume you are new to guitar
songs that are mournful and sad dont need all minor chords
its the way you compose the song, the vocals, and the lyrics
and if you use all minor chords its gonna sound a little weird
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
"... D minor, which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why."

EDIT: i guess none of you guys have seen spinal tap.
Last edited by jimtaka at Aug 2, 2006,
a lot of minor and 7th chords will help give it a sad sound, but yeah its also a lot about how you play and compose the music.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
some minor chords and slower tempo and strumming

just no seziure strumming
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
ok im hearing minors and majors and am lost....... r there any website tht i could find fingerings to chords???????????
Quote by IndianRockStar
EXACTLY!!! We should join together to form a vendetta against vocalists. Or trianglists.

Let's get em lol.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
try this: G, D, this: 244322, then this: 224432

Sorry dont know the name of the bar chords. Ha I never memorize chord names, just finger positions. Just strum each chord a few times.
Thank u so much ive been lookin for somethin like this for a while!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by IndianRockStar
EXACTLY!!! We should join together to form a vendetta against vocalists. Or trianglists.

Let's get em lol.

(\__/)
Quote by octavian

Sorry dont know the name of the bar chords. Ha I never memorize chord names, just finger positions. Just strum each chord a few times.

thats how you play the chorus to hotel california.
Nowadays all the songs on the radio, all drive me crazy.
awww I thought that was my own chord progression.
I kind of liked it too.
Quote by octavian
awww I thought that was my own chord progression.
I kind of liked it too.

You thought G, D was your own chord progression?
High as tits
Quote by octavian

those other two chords are F# (244322) and Bm/F# (224432)
Quote by memoric
um. try using Em, C, G, D slowly.

Sorry stupid question im just learnin chords is Em Emajor or Eminor??????????????
Quote by IndianRockStar

Let's get em lol.

(\__/)
The phrasing of the chord progressions, tempo, and strum patterns make your songs emotion more than trying to find chords that sound sad. You could write a sad song with G and D it just depends what you do with the chords.
Last edited by Bill Gluckman at Aug 2, 2006,
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
You thought G, D was your own chord progression?
You can make any chords your own progression depending on how you play them. Theres also more to it than G, D, F#, Bm/F#. So Bite me.
Last edited by octavian at Aug 2, 2006,
Quote by Bill Gluckman
The phrasing of the chord progressions, tempo, and strum patterns make your songs emotion more than trying to find chords that sound sad. You could write a sad song with G and D it just depends what you do with the chords.

Exactly what I was going to say. The emotion is captured in the speed, the strumming pattern, how it's picked (if its not completely strummed), and the progression between chords. Study songs that strike you as sad. Look at the notes they use relative to the scale they're in, how the chords are played etc. Radiohead is a great place to start, very unique chords in many of there songs.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Quote by memoric
um. try using Em, C, G, D slowly.

dude those are the chords for so far away by staind
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Quote by vlp_dope
dude those are the chords for so far away by staind

No, the chords to so far away are Ebm, B, Gbm, Dbm. And even if they were the same it doesn't matter. Everything I mentioned above can change the sound of the progression.

Bry
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Large Brownie Batter Blizzard with chunks of brownie. *Dairy product orgasm*

Yes, i'm fat
Quote by Diversity
thats how you play the chorus to hotel california.

the chorus to that is

G
D
Em
Bm
G
D
Em
F#
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

as long as its in the minor key it will probably have a sad feel to it. What metaljunkie says is true. Its the way you compose the song
Balls.
i listen to a lot of those kind of songs... the folky kind of stuff...

for me, it's all about the rhythm and tempo, not necessarily the chords. i find 'heartbeats' by jose gonzalez quite sad, but that's really only because he plays it softly, on a classical guitar, in drop D, and with those lovely hammer ons... just fiddle about with same sad sounding chords and you'll come up with a nice riff/melody.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com