Page 3 of 40
I did think they were over, like, forever.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
I haven't got round to getting a storm in heaven yet... How close does it sound to, say, Urban Hymns?

A world apart. Urban Hymns is a Britpop album. A Storm in Heaven is awesomely spacy and shoegaze-y. The Verve EP is even spacier, but it is only an EP

On MBV, though... man, I'd love to know what Kevin Shields used on Loveless. I don't know anyone who creates such an awesome wash of noise. It's fascinating just to zone out and listen to all the nuances and dynamics he's creating...

I want a Jazzmaster.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
On MBV, though... man, I'd love to know what Kevin Shields used on Loveless. I don't know anyone who creates such an awesome wash of noise.

he used liek a billion dollars ;_;

there are a few sites explaining how to link up the FX pedals on how to get a good shoegazzy sound, delay reverb chorus and distortion are some you must have!

I believe most of the sound is post production (on Loveless.)
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I do too...

Haha, I have one! Kevin used a Jag more.

Heres a post from the MBV forum from Kevins former roadie telling what he used:

\"Kevin never used a Shreadmaster pedal (he did, however, use 2 Marshall Guv\'nor pedals during the Isn\'t Anyting live shows). (guitargeek.com falsely credits the use of a Shredmaster during the Loveless tours.)

For Loveless live shows he used - Digitec Whammy, Boss EH-2, Boss PQ-4, 2 x Boss GE-7, Boss T-Wah, Pro-Co Turbo Rat, Roger Mayer Axis & Mongoose, Marshall Guv\'nor, Jim Dunlop Roto-Vibe, Boss Tremolo/Pan (Boss PN-2 to be specific), Digitec PDS-8000, ADA Pre-amp, MidiVerb2 (made by Alesis for those who don\'t know), SPX90 x 2 and 3 x JCM800\'s (only 2 amps were actually running) JCM\'s valved with EL34\'s and ECC83\'s (including phase split). - I may have missed out one or two pedals there....it has been a few years..!!!

The clever part is what he adds to the internal wiring to the guitars and the reasoning behind using certain guitars for certain songs. (This is the only time I have ever heard this mentioned, and unfortunately he never elaborated on it.)\"

Quote from Kevin

\"As for effects, says Kevin, \"There\'s no chorusing or anything like that. But there\'s one very definite effect that I do use, and that\'s reverse reverb, mostly on a Yamaha SPX90. It inverts a normal reverb envelope without making the notes backwards. There are certain settings I use that, along with the way I have the tone of the guitar set up, create a totally melted sort of liquid sound. I don\'t use any of the original, dry guitar signal; it\'s purely the reverb. When I use that sort of effect on guitar, that means there\'s one guitar on the track. A song like \'Soon\' has got three guitars. But the bulk of the sound is just from one guitar.\"
That's some pretty cool info there ZoSo. Cheers.

I thought it was Belinda who usually used the Jags, though. I always heard Kevin used them and Jazzmasters equally.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I wish I could emulate Kevin's sound of the guitar.

The man's literally a genius and is definitely one of my favorite guitarists. And now, I seriously want a Jazzmaster.

I bought "Isn't Anything" a while ago, and I really like that album. I hope they get back together and even do a reunion tour. That would make my decade.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by Caustic
That\\\'s some pretty cool info there ZoSo. Cheers.

I thought it was Belinda who usually used the Jags, though. I always heard Kevin used them and Jazzmasters equally.

Yeah, Belinda used a pink Ibanez styled guitar, a red/red guard Jazzmaster and a Sunburst Jazzmaster. Kevin used Jags live more often.

Hey look, I beat you all!!!

(Sorry, bad picture, its sunburst)

Oh I just noticed that the trem bar isn\\\'t on... Thats cause I broke the system!!! I need to get a US version of the trem tailpiece. Constantly shaking the trem is the way to getting the sound. Their sound live is way easier to emulate, Proco Turbo Rat into Shredmaster for gain....

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Only got into them recently.

Favourite songs, people?

Mine would be When You Sleep.

Only Shallow
When You Sleep
When You Wake/Youre Still in a Dream
Feed Me With Your Kiss
You Made Me Realise
Cupid Come
Sueisfine
Nothing Much To Lose
To Here Knows When
Soon

Those are all amazing.

Hey look, Deerhoof covers Loose My Breath http://ostracons.com/attachments/78/72/lose-my-breath-deerhoof-my-bloody-valentines-cover.mp3
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Only got into them recently.

Favourite songs, people?

Mine would be When You Sleep.

Only Shallow
Feed Me With Your Kiss
You Made Me Realise
Soft As Snow
Lose My Breath
Come in Alone
What You Want
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

+

= winz.

(this is stupid btw, i bet you could get the same sound using a cheap guitar)

Quote by pumpkins_rule
Only Shallow
Feed Me With Your Kiss
You Made Me Realise
Soft As Snow
Lose My Breath
Come in Alone
What You Want

those are my favourite songs too.
Quote by sponj
(this is stupid btw, i bet you could get the same sound using a cheap guitar)

Yeah, with all those effects, does it really matter what guitar you're using?

To be more accurate, I want Kevin Shield's guitar pedals.
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Only Shallow
Feed Me With Your Kiss
You Made Me Realise
Soft As Snow
Lose My Breath
Come in Alone
What You Want

You forgot "Sometimes."
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Yeah, with all those effects, does it really matter what guitar you're using?

To be more accurate, I want Kevin Shield's guitar pedals.
You forgot "Sometimes."

Eh, I always thought Sometimes was one of the middle songs on Loveless (not one of the best but not one of the worst.)
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

the Rat is great, you can get crispy distortion and warm fuzz from it.

I guess you can have MBV but you need another gain pedal, I use my amps gain, it's not a very good sound though
Irish people are the most musically talented race...and that's coming from a second generation subcontinental Indian living in America.
So did anyone have any trouble finding the EPs? Once I get a new job I have to go hunting for Tremolo, Glider, You Made Me Realise and Ecstasy & Wine.

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by DorkusMalorkus
You forgot "Sometimes."

Sometimes.

Shields was born in Queens, despite the fact that he grew up in Dublin.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by pumpkins_rule
So did anyone have any trouble finding the EPs? Once I get a new job I have to go hunting for Tremolo, Glider, You Made Me Realise and Ecstasy & Wine.

Good luck finding them.
Quote by paintITblack39
Sometimes.

Shields was born in Queens, despite the fact that he grew up in Dublin.

Yeah, it's great that he's from New York City.
^That's two of my favorite guitarists from New York.

Since it's too late for me, I'd have my kid born in Queens.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by pumpkins_rule

amazon them
that is where i got tremolo
So I just found out that my favoritest video game ever references My Bloody Valentine.

The Square Enix RPG game Final Fantasy VII, the seventh installment in the highly popular Final Fantasy series, features a visual reference to the album - in a full motion sequence in the beginning of the game, there is a shot of a poster which features a pale girl and the words "My Bloody Valentine" and "Loveless" . It is later on explained that Loveless is the name of a popular play. The girl on the poster bears a resemblance to band member Bilinda Butcher.

Coming from Wikipedia, that is.
Sent from my iPad.
Last edited by paintITblack39 at May 27, 2007,
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
That's cool. I could never get into Final Fantasy though.

Your loss

I just thought it was interesting that of all the things the creators could have put, they put in Loveless.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
Your loss

I just thought it was interesting that of all the things the creators could have put, they put in Loveless.

I bet MBV are very popular in Japan.

I'm pretty stressed out.

A friend of mine asked if I wanted to make the soundtrack for her latest short-film...

I've made everything except the track I'd though would be easyer... She needs a shoegazzy track for a slow motion part, and i'm freaking stuck! if anyone wants to help me and suggest a few chord progressions or cool tunnings, i'd be very gratefull!
Yeah it works amazingly well! Thanks
found my chord progression, anyone wanna listen and tell me what you think?
Quote by sponj
found my chord progression, anyone wanna listen and tell me what you think?

Sure, I'm a little interested.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by pumpkins_rule

Well, Tremolo and Glider are fairly easy to find. I actually bought Tremolo at Wal-Mart. Gider, I bought at a wonderful second-hand shop in Dallas. I've got YMMR and I can send you the MP3's via Sendspace if you're interested. As for Ecstacy and Wine, good luck with that. That's like the Holy Grail of MBV collectibles (that and the French CD-single for Only Shallow).

Oh and: I live in Texas, which is probably why I've never heard any shoegaze on the radio.
I bought Loveless from Fopp for £5 the other day, and when I had it on in the car on the way home I thought it was the most insane, chaotic wall of noise I've ever heard, but it's grown on me and I love it now.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
I bought all my MBV CDs from Amazon. The stores around here don't sell them
Sent from my iPad.