Page 1 of 2
Would it make any sense to have a tube amp in my house for practicing or would i not get any tone out of it? I wouldn't be able to have the volume up is what i mean.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
it depends on the amp

if you have a cab then get a epiphone head for 100...amazing little head and great tube tone
The BJ might be a little too loud im not sure. Epiphone has a class A 5 watt combo too for 100-120 i think. Try it out
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
I have no idea what u just said.
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
i use a tube amp for practicing in my house.

And your right, you cant turn it up past 2 lol

But it dosent matter man, you still get great tone..

Especially if you have a good head to match.
ESP LTD Viper-50
Dean AK48
Marshall MG-15
Peavey Sheffield 4x12
Peavey Transtube Supreme Head
Zoom 505 II
a tube amp can still be played at lower volumes by using an attenuator. Or get a peavey tube amp. it can be played at low volumes and still sound good since peavey amp rely on pre-amp saturation. I've got a 40 W tube combo and I am playing at 12:00 AM without waking up the neighbours.

--Peace

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
yeah the thing is that a tube amp sounds best cranked but it will still sound good at some lower volumes (and depending on the amp it may have a master volume knob so you can get tube tone at low volumes)

Check out the cheap peavey tube amps for around $100

you can either
A. invest in a nice higher wattage tube amp and an attenuator (which is more expensive, i would only suggest if you gig or record)
B. get a low watt tube amp for cheap
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
^Yup, either get a decent valve amp and an attenuator (expensive option) or get a low wattage valve amp so you can crank it(cheaper option)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Or you could play the tube amp at low volumes.

Since youre just alone there isnt a huge need for an amazing tone, but when you go out and play venues you will be able to crank it up and have great tone.
^ I'd say its on the country really.
Thing is whitout a inspiring tone you won't have the same lust for practise.
Then it all will get boooring!
I was wondering the same thing the other day

what about solid state amps as an option I hate the idea of getting a tube amp because I know ahead of time I'm not going to be able to get the tone I want from it and that in time I'm going to have to replace the tubes and I've read that some higher end solid states have just as good of tone as tube amps

so what are some good high end solid state amps?
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Well usually a tube amp will always sound better then a solid state amp. But if your looking for a decent solid state go for the Cube of the Vox solid state amps.
My Gear-
Schecter 006 BlackJack
Ovation Tangent T357
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60
Boss NS-2, CE-5, DS-1
DiMarzio Pedal Couplers
Quote by Gutch220
its alright for home.....they still sound good at lower volumes

Just not as good.
You'd be fine to get a tubr amp between 15-40 watts for practice. They still sound good at lower levels, just not as good. The difference isn't that huge though. An attenuator will give you the tone of the amp cranked without actually having it cranked, so you can invest in one if you feel it's necessary.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
For just a practice amp, the 5 watt Epiphone Valve Jr. head or the Ibanez ValBee are two perfect options. With the Valve Jr., from what jj (Jenny) has said, you can get good tube tone out of it at bedroom levels. This is especially true if you're running a "quieter" tube, like a Class A EL84.

Attenuators give the impression of a pushed tube, but they "suck tone" - the reason being, part of the sound of a cranked tube amp comes not only from the tubes being pushed by the increased speaker excursion (movement). You can't fake speaker excursion, so the sound isn't going to be a genuine cranked tone. They're a waste of money, IMO, unless you're in a recording situation.

And 15-40 watts tube just for practice purposes is overkill. 15 watts tube is pretty damn loud and 40 watts...well, even in 35 watt mode, I never turn my tube amp past 1.5-2 when I'm at home, which is just about the point where the power amp kicks in.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Aug 2, 2006,
^ +1 on attenuators sucking tone, if you're using lots of attenuation.

you basically have four options:

(a) get a higher wattage amp that you can gig with, and put up with good (but not amazing) tone at lower volumes when you're at home.

(b) same as (a), but get an attenuator too.

(c) get a semi-low wattage amp so you can semi-crank it at home, but which'll still get enough volume for gigs- around 20-40 watts.

(d) get a low powered valve amp that you can crank at home. Bear in mind, it needs to be REALLY low wattage. Some of the boutique amps have switches to get you down below one watt, which is what you want. Dear for a practice amp, though. but will sound awesome.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
at the very least, if u do get the 15W blues junior, make sure u pick up a tube screamer, or similar to push it at lower volumes.

and yeah, like said, i use the 5watt epi head ($100) for basement practice and the blues junior for band practice.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Back before solid states all amps were tube even the cheap little 15 watt ones. I played one from the 70s it wasnt very good though.
Just to point out I've owned the Epiphone Valve Junior combo (5 watts tube, 8" speaker) and it is still too loud for bedroom practising levels when cranked. It's suprisingly loud considering the low wattage.

If you live alone and have have kind neighbours then it would probably be alright though.

Oh, and just to point out. I quickly returned the combo because I hated its cranked sound. Don't know if it's just the combo that isn't good (puny 8" speaker) or whether it just wasn't too my tastes. But if you go for it definitely try it out first - and I'd probably recommend the head and a 1x12 cab for this reason.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by cubedeathk
Back before solid states all amps were tube even the cheap little 15 watt ones. I played one from the 70s it wasnt very good though.

Ok, thanks? That really had nothing to do with the subject at hand.

And if i was you, id go for a nice big tube amp and just settle with a good tone at home. Thats what i do.
Quote by jmac72187
Just not as good.

meh, a slight difference......and if your playing cleans its even less of a difference.
Quote by TheFluffy
Ok, thanks? That really had nothing to do with the subject at hand.

And if i was you, id go for a nice big tube amp and just settle with a good tone at home. Thats what i do.

God forbid someone states something that they have experienced or want to tell about. You jump them and **** them in the ass every thread for saying something. jesus christ
Last edited by jmac72187 at Aug 2, 2006,
i suggest a fender blues jr. amp. they are cheap and only 15 watts so even on low volumes, you still get pretty good tone.
MusicMan Stingray 4 HH
Modded Fender MIM J-Bass
Fender American Deluxe Ash Strat
Ibanez limited edition walnut EW acoustic #202/250
Fender Bassman 250 2x10 combo
Vox AD50VT
What is the upkeep like on a small tube amp, say the epiphone or a small 15 watter, how often would I have to change the tubes and how much would it cost? I'm sure it depends on how often I use it but just an extimate.
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
a year or two, depends on use and tubes are cheap enough.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Alright, thanks, I'll try and find a place I can try some stuff out.
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Master volume anyone? Lol.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by SamDking
Just to point out I've owned the Epiphone Valve Junior combo (5 watts tube, 8" speaker) and it is still too loud for bedroom practising levels when cranked. It's suprisingly loud considering the low wattage.

That's because it's single ended, class A, class A tends to sound louder than another amp running in say... class A/B. What I mean is: If you compared a 15w class A, and a 15w class A/B, the class A would sound louder. But if you tried to run the class A/B in A, you'd get less output. Let's say... 8w in class A. It wouldn't sound as loud as running it at 15w A/B, but it'd sound louder than something running at 8w A/B.

I'll be honest, I think I confused myself here.
Last edited by greenbox at Aug 3, 2006,
2^That makes far too much sense. It can't possibly work.
Seriously though, something like a HRD or AC30 will sound great at low volumes with an overdrive and/or attenuator and are also usable for gigs.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

That only saturates the pre amp tubes, you dont get any of that teh seckszorz powertube distortion.
Quote by greenbox
If you compared a 15w class A, and a 15w class A/B, the class A would sound louder. But if you tried to run the class A/B in A, you'd get less output. Let's say... 8w in class A. It wouldn't sound as loud as running it at 15w A/B, but it'd sound louder than something running at 8w A/B.

, i knew what u meant, and still, had no idea.

Quote by That_Pink_Queen

it helps, but at really low volumes, u just dont get the same punch.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

It all depends on what your definition of a "small amp" is and what type of music you're playing. Do you need overdrive? Do you need this amp to double as a gigging amp?

For bedroom play, a Fender HRD is pretty large IMO. I've had one for years, and it just gets in the way. It's a great amp, but I guess it depends on the size of your room. A great amp that's in the lunchbox category would be the Fender Pro Junior...2 knobs and you can toss it under a bed.

Cruising Ebay (which is hit and miss on decent amps), I see a Gibson Skylark for $150, I've heard some good tones out of those. You should also be able to find old Supros and Airlines for under $150.

Can you help me out and let me know what kind of sound you're looking for?
Why do you need tube tone for your room anyway?

I'd still get the Epiphone head and a *2x12* because its a better investment than a 1x12
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

aye, but unless you have a wickedly good preamp in your amp (we're talking boutique quality here) it sounds a bit, er, naff and flat. and even in the boutique ones, it's not just as sweet as power tube drive.

Quote by JET116
Why do you need tube tone for your room anyway?

maybe because if your tone kicks ass it inspires you to play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just got a used Laney LC15 all tube with 3 12ax7 and el84 tubes just 2 days ago. It's pretty loud on 2 not even 2.5. I'm scared to turn it up past that, i live in an Apartment complex with neighbors. But it doesn't really take much to aggrivate the beast, it'll play at a nice volume when i play softly but hard strumming really shakes the floors... it's crazy. But yeah, it's a huge step up from plugging straight into a pair of computer speakers. I like my amp, I'm going back home to the countryside to really test the true tone of the amp at higher volumes this coming week. It'll be awesome.
dude...that pedal makes me want to curb stomp babies and eat your face.
Quote by esp_shredder
i use a tube amp for practicing in my house.

And your right, you cant turn it up past 2 lol

But it dosent matter man, you still get great tone..

Especially if you have a good head to match.

a nice head to match what? the cab?

and i just bought a peavey 5150 combo, and it's LOUD. and i still work with it. on like, volume 2. but whatever. it still has outrageous tone.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Page 1 of 2